IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the Impeller Turns.

First off, it would be extremely remiss not to take a moment to acknowledge that the ability to put words down in writing is a skill that I acquired thanks to my dear Mother. I will admit the usually absurd and frequently incoherent ways I do so are of my own volition, but the “fundamentals” of writing came from Mom.

She was a sometimes substitute English teacher, and was a professional copywriter for radio and TV for most of her professional career. Some of that must have rubbed off.

She reads what I write when I forward these impeller stories and for the most part she merely smiles in that motherly way and offers to edit them. Never judgmental, but sometimes she asks if I have ever considered another hobby. I guess, boats in trees, on sand and chasing black ducks have made her wonder about this one…

Anyway, thanks for the genetic material, Mom, and I hope you and everyone’s Mothers had great days today!

Now, for today’s impeller report. This is called a report as opposed to a story because it actually contains snippets from several recent trips with a cast of characters.

First off, the day a few weeks ago now that Swingandanothermiss Tom went 1 for about 88 chances you may remember that event. The “1” came as he set the hook in mighty fashion and snapped his rod right above the first eye. We still landed the fish.

It has led to a sort of tradition now. The next time he was in my Willie he managed to break another rod. A nice new Lami. With a little effort at the dock he managed to turn it into a four-piece pole.

Well yesterday he invited, no, demanded, that reeldick, Skrimmy and I get into his replacement for the Alumaweld sled that bit the bottom of the Clackamas. After a lot of looking he settled on a really nice, if slightly used, 20’ Willie Predator. This was the first trip in the sled for fishing, and we all were anxious and maybe a tad nervous.

We duly loaded into the truck, drove down to Scappoose Bay Marina, launched and headed to fish the lower channel until the tide changed. It was then that he dug his brand new Lami out and, sure enough the first four inches were no longer attached to the rest of the rod. The plastic wrap was still on it! A quick call to Stillbreakinrod Tom’s wife resulted in a great deal of sympathy. I believe the quote was, “So, you wanted to go back to Lamiglass didn’t you? You know we had to dash in and out of there last time.” Could this be the secret motivation? Or is there just some Karma that exists between him and me that causes him to destroy his equipment? Well, Skrimmy did say he had seen him break rods prior to meeting Hogmaster, so maybe it isn’t me.

The next thing we noticed was that it would be a really good tide to troll some herring. Which would have been a really good idea had the herring not been left on top of someone’s freezer (not mine) in a special brine that was guaranteed to attract fish. Wouldn’t know. Oooops.

So instead we decided to drag around most of what was left in the boat looking for a magic lure that might entice an otherwise waiting to chomp special brined herring springer. For some odd reason Skrimmy got the bright idea to tie on an orange Wind River special Mag Wart and a few minutes later the tip of his rod almost hit the water when Mr. Chinook nailed the tar out of it! We saw the fish come up a couple of times with the plug looking like all 6 hooks had buried in the upper and lower jaw.

Looked like Skrimmy was finally going to get his first keeper springer. Except, in his exuberance to bring it in he pushed the drag “lever” (weird Garcia reel) and managed to pop the plug right off a direct tie on about 65 pound Power Pro! No curlies on the end so it didn’t look like yet another knot failure but rather a poundage slap popped the thing right off. We searched the river for quite awhile because we figured the fish would soon belly up since it couldn’t possibly breath, but it must have sunk straight to the bottom.

He tried a pleathera of other lures, but all he got after that was tangled.

After that things got really slow. We motored out to the big river and saw ZaQ and Manimal as they were leaving, then parked in a couple spots. You could tell it was a fine day by the level of excitement reeldick was showing.

Meanwhile, I ate some lunch and suddenly Superstition Tom got all excited when he saw me eating a banana. What is up with that? After I finished I found that those extra compartments in his Plano boxes came in real handy for things like peels, sandwich crusts, baggies, most anything.

Anyway, today after finishing a late breakfast I decided to fish the back yard. I threw out an email to Spewingcurseswhenhefoundthe bananapeel Tom to see if he wanted to come out for a few hours in the afternoon and he accepted. We fished the Garbage Hole where it was really really slow. In fact we only saw one fish get caught until I got this 23 and 1/2er.

Well, OK so it was a Jack. But it sure ate good tonight.

But the real news is this. No rod was broken. The only other common denominator in this is Skrimmy! Could it be? Could he be responsible for the bad rod karma? Or does Tom really just like looking at all those new Lamis?

Stay tuned….

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Hey, a jack is OK. Better than the several hundred peamouths I caught today.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The look on Tom's face when he found the banana peel....I'll never forget it!! Priceless!

Ya know Hog, you got me to thinking.....I've broken three rods in my life....two of those this year. Tom was in the boat both times. Things that make you say hhmmmmmmm......

[ 05-12-2003, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: skrimmy ]

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Impeller Reports...how can you not like these things?!?! me! :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
OOPS! the me wasn't supposed to be there. My bad
Keep em coming Hog!! I always get a good chuckle out of the reports!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
another humorous pick me upper. that shot of Reeldick looks familiar.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Snap-another-rod Tom, no wonder you ended up with so many "easter egss".....you not only weren't keeping an eye on your rod (PUN INTENDED)you weren't watching us too closely either, or you'd have noticed that I didn't bring any sandwiches! I was the one with the chicken and potato salad! Hmmmm, from the sound of it, you're still missing at least one easter egg! Let's see how long it takes you to find it. :grin: :grin: By the way.....I plead total innocence other than "knowledge of" said pranks....well, except for providing the necessary distractions! :laugh: :laugh: I haven't laughed that hard since a recent outing with the same cast of characters.

Hey, it was a nice way to break in your pretty new boat! Here's to many more memorable trips in the new Willie! :cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Skrimwich I know who did the deeds. I know who was in on it too. I didn't know one HAD to watch you'r fellow fisherman that much. I have learned. Just remember,
Well you get the idea. My turn. :smile:
st

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
James, yeah....that shot of ReelDick kinda reminds me of the one Fear No Fish got of you recently! Uh, but then, I guess yours was deserved. You'd caught your limit hours before!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Originally posted by Sturgeon Tom:
I didn't know one HAD to watch you'r fellow fisherman that much. I have learned. st
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That's pretty funny! That was one of the first lessons I ever learned from you...."Mr. Loosen everybody's Drags when they aren't looking!"
Payback's a beach, eh? :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hot bite---Not
Tied up in great water---Not (need just a little current. Sea anchors hanging straight down.)
Warm sun
Anchor buoy to lean against.
Nap time.zzzzzzzzzzz
Nice boat, good friends, no fish = Good day on the water.
I didn't say great day on the water.

·
Registered
13,860 Posts
Wish you would have said "Hi" when ya trolled by the neverrunssled. We had several dozen of the killer secret would have to kill you sauce herring in the cooler.

Nice ride Tom.

Mark and the Snap On! dog.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmmmmmm,

Just realized something. We got a hit early on, before the grumpy guy with no big motor and the handled by Redbull dog showed up.

He proceeds into the area, and the bite clamps down like a Jersey Barrier being dropping off a front loader.

Maxine has all her hair fall out every spring when she molts from a Chow to a Terrier. Sorry, and don't tell him it was my idea, but I think you may have to shave Jacob yet! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Bananamaster? I had one in the Willie yesterday. How many fish did you catch, Slamarod Tom????

:grin:

[ 05-12-2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
There ya go...another case of Banana Phobia proven wrong!!

Hog...Whatcha doin' drivin' clear to Scappoose, when ya got fish in your backyard??

:whazzup:

Mark

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, definitely fear of bananarama can drive some crazy! I put the peels in his K-15 box. When he found the first one he started looking for bleach and a diluted mixture of Hydrochloric acid and Gin to soak the plugs in. He melted the box down and is using it for a fruit bowl now! :shrug:

We went down there because Smashintoanotherboat Tom wanted a wide berth for his new ride on it's first voyage.

It seemed he was concerned the back yard might be a touch congested!

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Hogmaster, where were you fishin' on Saturday. I thought I may have saw you in a big open sled between 72 and the MC. I didn't see any Ifish identification, but from photos it looked like it may have been you?

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Was good down in the Lake O area til about Saturday....then it got tough. All them fish in OC gotta go through Lake O area before they get there. Temp dropped last week, and we were hooken 'em on herring again. A buddy got a 36 pounder(clipped) on Thursday at Risley's area on sand shrimp too.

Thursday we got two, and mised two others about a mile or two downriver from your place.

Surely understand the need for more room tho. I try and avoid that OC area..that's for sure.

Yuckeepoo!!

Mark

·
Registered
13,860 Posts
Sorry Crackermaster,

but you showed up and the bite died. We were there when you zoomed( as in "On Plane" not to be confused with "Troll") by us and headed for the inside corner.

I think you got bad dog mojo. Redbull and I already showed, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you have bad everyday mojo.

Well well, it seems you fellas was one friendly "Hello" and a bite of lunch short of a limit. A couple animal crackers and Joby catches fish. Your Mama taught ya how to write well, but she never taught you to share your lunch.

Mark and the "But that is the part the book calls for....it must be the right one. Do you know what a solenoid looks like sir??...." dog.

[ 05-12-2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts