IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 2002 Grady Seafarer 228 with the intentions of repowering currently shopping around to repower with a 250hp or 300hp. Darn covid causing a headache for everyone all major outboard dealers are 6-12 months out for new engines. So I get to really think about what I want, the pricing seems the same but some manufacturers are different. I purchased this boat for ocean trips, with intent to join the TUNA bug! I sold my 2018 21' NR seahawk to exclusively find a seafarer for repower.

Here is what I'm looking at all of these are between $24-27K installed with new controls ect.I only want 87 octane so Yamaha 300 is out

Yamaha 250 V6 - 87 octane 560lbs with 3yr warranty ~$26K ~6mo wait
Mercury 300 V8 - 87 octane 530lbs with 6yr warranty ~$27K ~12mo wait
Suzuki - 300 V6 - 87 octane 640lb with 6yr warranty ~25K ~4mo wait

This is just for sake to help encourage me to stimulate the economy, my first choice is the Yamaha 250 due to "known" reliability and salt water use but the Merc V8 has me thinking... The original 200HPDI still runs like a champ but underpowered and needs upgraded!!

Tire Wheel Boat trailer Sky Boat

Registered
I鈥檓 biased because I sell Mercury鈥檚, but the new V8s are awesome. Everyone who has one love them and issues have been basically non-existent. They have been more recently developed than anything else in the market and it shows- fuel efficiency, quietness, ease of maintenance, weight, etc.

Very smooth on the shift and accelerate even with mechanical controls because they are all electronically shifted. Easy to check the oil. All the little things and big things.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I鈥檓 biased because I sell Mercury鈥檚, but the new V8s are awesome. Everyone who has one love them and issues have been basically non-existent. They have been more recently developed than anything else in the market and it shows- fuel efficiency, quietness, ease of maintenance, weight, etc.

Very smooth on the shift and accelerate even with mechanical controls because they are all electronically shifted. Easy to check the oil. All the little things and big things.
I agree, the merc is very impressive. but dang 12mo lead time I'm quoted right now is rough. It's crazy where I'm from in South Florida you see all the "Miami Money" boats with multiple Mercury's.

Registered
Don't go too heavy, those boats sit stern heavy. 250hp yami will be perfect with the right prop. Stay away from Mercury's and salt. Suzuki is another great option but much heavier based on your weights listed.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Registered
Don't go too heavy, those boats sit stern heavy. 250hp yami will be perfect with the right prop. Stay away from Mercury's and salt. Suzuki is another great option but much heavier based on your weights listed.

What's the issue with Mercs and salt? That seems to be the most popular motor down in Florida.

Registered
I wouldn鈥檛 let the wait time influence the decision. Even at six months you may very well miss the season unless everything goes just right

Registered
What's the issue with Mercs and salt? That seems to be the most popular motor down in Florida.
Yamaha holds the popularity in every salt area I have been and for a good reason. I wouldn't trust a Mercury to bring me home from the tuna grounds, too many horror stories of major issues with them, especially the verado lineup. Mercury's belong on a bass boat in a lake going 70mph in the Midwest.

Registered
Yamaha holds the popularity in every salt area I have been and for a good reason. I wouldn't trust a Mercury to bring me home from the tuna grounds, too many horror stories of major issues with them, especially the verado lineup. Mercury's belong on a bass boat in a lake going 70mph in the Midwest.

These guys trust them.

Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle Toy

Registered
I'd trust anything if I had 4 of em
I've had Mercs, Hondas and now Yamahas. Honda were the most quiet. Yammies are OK. I think any of the new motors will be just fine as far as reliability is concerned. For a repower I'd look at Zukes based on owner's reports. All of the majors had their issues. Yammy 225s in early 2000 had cancer. Hondas 200-250s did too. That was then. No reason to hate on them now.

Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, lings, anything goes
I've had Mercs, Hondas and now Yamahas. Honda were the most quiet. Yammies are OK. I think any of the new motors will be just fine as far as reliability is concerned. For a repower I'd look at Zukes based on owner's reports. All of the majors had their issues. Yammy 225s in early 2000 had cancer. Hondas 200-250s did too. That was then. No reason to hate on them now.
Yeah I don't think there's a single one of the new motors I wouldn't get. Zukes seem to have the bang-for-buck going for them right now.

Registered
Yeah I don't think there's a single one of the new motors I wouldn't get. Zukes seem to have the bang-for-buck going for them right now.
it seems to me that once you get into the 250+ HP range you are comparing features like fly by wire and joystick handling add on costs. As far as basic motors, they all start, run and need regular maintenance. Probably outlive the boat it's hung on.

Registered

The Verados were novel, but imperfect. They had some issues. But in a 300, those supercharged Verados are a thing of the past. The naturally aspirated motor he is considering put the whole industry on its ear a few years ago.

If you evaluated Yamahas based on the worst of their motors in the past, you鈥檇 never buy one either. The same is true with all brands.

It makes sense to evaluate them based on what they are doing NOW not 15 year old, discontinued motors.

I have not talked to a single person that has experienced the new V6 and V8 line that has anything but rave reviews.

The fact that you鈥檙e still talking about the history of a motor discontinued four model years ago tells me you have zero experience with the new motors. Why provide feedback on something you have no experience with?

Registered
Suzuki simply because it's available first. Get it rigged now and go fish!
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Lol.

We don鈥檛 know which motor is available first. All we know is which motor he is being TOLD will be available first.

In this industry since Covid started, the only timeline I would take for fact is if someone has a motor on the ground you can have immediately. Everything else is just speculation. I have not heard of a single manufacturer that hasn鈥檛 caused disappointment with major delays and failure to deliver on some of their promises.

I have first hand seen it from every manufacturer. And honestly, the Suzuki I had on order for a customer was the worst. Promised two months, six months later there was no sign of it and they had no idea when they would see it.

Pick the engine you want without factoring in the timeline. It鈥檚 highly unlikely that the timeline will be accurate. Whether for better or for worse (I鈥檓 pretty sure I would be able to get a Mercury inside of a year). Some dealers are under promising and over delivering and others are doing the opposite. A person will be very disappointed if they put their money into one choice based on the timeline and then it ends up taking longer than their first choice was supposed to take.

Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, lings, anything goes
Timelines are impossible with everything right now. I'm dealing with it at my job too. Despite it being such a widespread issue, most people still aren't willing to accept "we have no way of knowing" as an answer. So I just tell them "I can tell you I can't give you a date, or I can literally make one up. Your pick."

1 - 20 of 46 Posts