IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I\'m a Proud Husband

Went down to Willamette Park to launch this morning at about 7:30 park was full couldn’t launch there so we headed over to Swan Island, (good there is parking). Launched the boat, headed out to the main stream of the Willy.

Trolled around for several hours had 2 takedowns but as the day grew longer my hopes were dwindling.

I had looked over at my wifes pole and saw that it was acting funny, like maybe she had picked up a Pike Minnow or something. Then it hit again but harder and then it backed off, I told her to watch her pole I think your going to get a chance to reel a Salmon in, just as I said that the pole tip hit the water. FISH ON.

In my excitement, I went over a set the hook, handed the pole off to her. This is the first time she has ever been Salmon fishing. It was pretty tough for her, so I took over to get the fish to the boat, handed it back to her while I netted the fish. Nice 26 lb'er in the box.

But what is really neat is my wife age 42 (I hope she don’t kill me for saying that) was diagnosed as having heart failure in December, and has been off work since. She has had a recent pacemaker placed to help her heart operate much better.

She really wanted to go fishing today and get out of the house; she has been feeling much better since her operation. A GOOD DAY IT WAS!! Kudo’s to the doc's that have given her a second chance with life. But they made a monster out of her; she wants to go out again tomorrow.

[ 05-03-2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Chrome_Miner ]

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: I\'m a Proud Husband

That is really neat that she is able to go with you catch a Springer her first time out! :grin: My wife is going to go with me tomorrow , she is still trying to get her first keeper. Watch out or she will start out fishing you! :wink:

·
Registered
591 Posts

good job on the first springer for your wife. How many fish did you see cought out there today? how much lead adn how many pulls? might see ya on sunday.

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts

you're a lucky man, in more ways than one. keep her fishing!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Stinkyfish, for the most part it was pretty slow. We were running 5 ounces of lead on a slider fish flash and a herring spinner bright green and yellow. We were running from 12 to 15 pulls.

Saw a another boat loaded with ifishers who had what I saw three fishies deposited in the boat. Just a couple of others.

The main attraction was the barge that was launched into the Willy. Pretty cool to watch. I had never witnessed a barge or ship being launched before.

[ 05-03-2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Chrome_Miner ]

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

CM,

That's so cool, right on
next time try this, let her set the hook and let her totally play it out and if she looses it then oh well it won't be her last, it's a lot more intense I bet you'll be on your toes the whole time pulling your hair out and biting your nails off.

Bobby

·
Registered
141 Posts

Good job Chrome Miner! We watched you hook up just after we had chatted and were pleased to see you get a nice fish. Interesting method of trolling but "VERY EFFECTIVE". We had 5 takedowns and landed 3 one was complete with a seal gash in the side. An hour before that we watched as a five hundred pound seal violently ripped apart a chromer right in front of us. Happy to see the wife outfished you! Nephew got his first springer and an old friend of the family from Massachusetts landed his first springer as well! Killer day!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts

Keep her out there. Remember, Every hour fishing adds a day to your life. :cheers:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

It was good seeing you out there also Redside. You and digitalrep and guest ripped some lips out there yesterday. WAY TO GO!!! Yeah your right about the method of trolling is a bit insane, but hey, I have to make the whole family happy.

Having two buckets and two large sea anchors is the only way I can slow that boat down. I have been looking into a bracket and mount so I can put a kicker on. Maybe I will have it in place for next years run.

Better yet I may have a real fishing boat next year. If I get the wife into a couple of more springers. :wink:

·
Registered
72 Posts

CM,
Whata Guy!
Congrats to your wife on both accounts!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts