IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on taking a salmon charter mid July with my wife and 6 year old son. We are staying in the Garibaldi region, but I remember some great fishing out of Ilwaco in the early 80's. Any recommendations/predictions for the best opportunity to land a few fish? Thanks to all who reply.

Brennan Leroy

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
Brennan,
Welcome aboard!

If I were going to look at charters, I'd start with the ones on the front page of this web site. They are top notch and you wouldn't go wrong with them. In the Astoria area Tackle Time Bait and Charter are excellent people, Charlton Charters are very successful, and Tiki Charters is also very good.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
If you are looking for coho with some chinook mixed in, the coho start down south and move north as the season progresses. Definately more coho down south early in the season.

Newport has a better bar and Depoe doesn't have one. :wink:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Charleston has more and better chinook fishing and Winchester Bay has good coho fishing also.

[ 06-06-2003, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
I think you should go to Ilwaco...............but only because I'll be in Garibaldi! :tongue:

That time of year there are fish everywhere so you can't make a bad choice. Pick an Ifish guide or charter and slam some fish! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
C,mon Rod,,,share that water Ha Ha......I gotta agree with Dan..Your talking mid July time frame.. Since your in the Garibaldi area might as well go out of there..Lot of nice Chinooks in the area to go along with the Coho at that time..Ilwaco has their share of fish too but If the fish are out front (Garibaldi)I'm personally not going to drive up the coast a ways to fish....

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
My bet is Garibaldi. I have the entire boat, The Nor'wester booked for my work crew on July 19th. Blood and fish scales will be a flyin' that day!! :grin:
Try my buddy on the Andrea K. Dick is a good skipper. http://www.andreakcharters.com/

[ 06-07-2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Fish mojo ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
either way -- you might ask them how they handle wild fish. I went out on a charter last year and was VERY distressed at the coho abuse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts