IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jen,

Do you intend to fish the carp in the lake at oaks bottom? if so, I would get in touch with the natural area manager first. If you send me an email, I'll give you his info.

I think this sounds great, although I have to admit that when I saw the subject heading "Ifishstock" I first thought of soup... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Jennie: You will need to apply for a permit. It costs a bit of money, and you will need to name an onsite manager who is there the whole time (cannot consume, either), and servers for the alcohol who have valid OLCC service permits (who also cannot consume). Furthermore, you will probably have to spend some time talking to them, and the Sheriff's office or Police Department, and they will be involved in the decision. You will need to card people who look under 26. It would be a good idea to card everybody. I'm not sure about the requirements for a temporary permit, but you will need to convince them that you have a good plan, that things won't get out of hand, that you have enough staff available with permits, etc. You might need insurance. You will need to purchase from a state licensed distributor. You will be liable for anyone who is overserved and causes a problem or gets in an accident. In our litigous society, you may have problems even if they weren't actually overserved. If you take any money for the alcohol, you are considered to be selling it.

I'd volunteer to handle the alcohol service for you, as I have a service permit and plenty of experience in this area, but I work Sundays (hazard of the restaurant business), so I probably can't be there.

For more info, go to

http://www.olcc.state.or.us/

Then click on "Get a License" and then scroll down to the part about Temporary permits. You can download a PDF file with the info you need. If you need help with this, feel free to e-mail me, and I'd be happy to help you.

happybrew

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
be in Hawaii.... \\

sounds like fun...

Giz..

G

·
Since I don't have little kids to deal with then it's no problem for me either. Also if the cost of beer is too high then, speaking only for myself mind you, I can forego the beer for this event. I know it's fun to have a brew or two...or three or four :cheers: at these events but the fellowship of other ifishers is more important.
So it sounds like a good deal :dance:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I could easily forego drinking.

But, if people want to, are there other places we could consider, that are centrally located, and less stringent?

It sounds like the Oaks Park thing is mainly handled by Oaks, but still, I would be responsible. I don't really like that. :depressed:

I don't know how to spell it, but how bout Champooeg park?

I'll call them next.

Jen

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Sounds like a lot of trouble to me and profit for Oaks Park. :rolleyes: I'd rather go to a State Park and have folks bring their own refreshments. Champooeg sounds much better than Oaks.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Howdy Jennie you might try Blue lake park, next to Chinook boat launch in Gresham. Don't know the rules for drinking but they don't sell beer or refreshments there you take your own in so there would be no charge for soda pop. We might be able to bring our own beer in. :cheers: :grin:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Oh yeah! Blue Lake! I got Giardia there one year!

:sick:

I never thought much of Blue Lake. No trees, just hot and sticky and it seemed dirty to me. (And it was!)

Champoeg has places open, but none sheltered.

What if it rains?

Shall I take one? I don't like this beer thing.

Jen

[ 06-11-2003, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I would say keep looking.

There are facilities at Sand Island and Coon Island, boat access only. We have had parties at Kelly Pt. Park as well without the hassle (several years ago).

There have got to be more venues around.

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
I would LOVE to do the Sand Island thing, but so many people don't have boats!

Not only that, but I don't like the idea of boating and drinking, and giving people rides while doing so, and...

Jen

[ 06-11-2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
We can anchor boatloads of beer 2 feet offshore and wade out!

A lot of parks are going to have "no alcohol" rules (enforcement? nada) -

how about Meldrum Bar or Cedar Island or Goat Island or Hog Island?

How about Hogmaster's back yard? :cheers:

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
How bout Oaks Park and we just don't drink? Heck, I can do that for a day, and I think you could too! :smile:
It's daytime, it's a picnic... we don't HAVE to drink, do we???

Jen

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Jen, make this easy on yourself. No one needs a beer even though many would like one at a picnic.
There are lots of things to drink besides beer.

The swap meet sounds like it could be fun.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I vote for Champoeg (sp) Park. Its a great park and it does have a covered area that is reservable. I wouldnt worry too much about the rain. Everyone can bring a Quickshade just in case. They've got a frisbee course and horseshoe pits and I believe a softball field. Lots of shade trees so you wont be baking in the sun if its hot. It is a great park and really easy to find. Just my .02....

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Scratch this! I talked Bill into having it here at the house!

Silver season in the ocean, crabbing, nehalem bay salmon, fly fishing in the rivers, plenty of room.

But one thing, and this is for sure, we do not supply any alcohol, and you are 100 percent responsible for any that you bring or drink.

There will be limited, unimproved outdoor camping, for those who wish to stay the night.

Everyone on their best behavior, and only kitchen help will be allowed in the house. Be good, cuz this was not easy to talk Bill into! :smile:

Jen

[ 06-11-2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
You could always have it at the park up the road just like last year....

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
My company had a picnic at Oaks a few years ago. They provided the keg and refreshments. It was easy to set up with them. The liability issue is only as scary as you care to make it. Anywhere alcohol is present there is exposure. The key is sanity and moderation. I am sure some will beat me up for that comment, but it is true.

So if you are fretting, leave the beer out, but Oaks Park will make it completely easy to have it available. None of the State Parks allow alcohol on an official basis anyway, so which would leave more potential liability if someone brought their own?

Oaks is easy and fun because of so much to do.

My .02

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I'm in the beer business and come across situations like this from time to time. I would recommend that you either go the route of no alcohol or have the picnic at a place where it is a "bring your own"type of situation. Don't put your self in a position where you have to sign for liability. 99 out of 100 times things go good but it only takes one accident and your life could be changed forever. I have to tell friends all the time that I can't get them a keg because I would have to sign the liability sheet that comes with a purchase.

Give the post a day or two and see what suggestions come in. Something will surface that will end up being the ideal place for all.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I could do without the beer. I would like to have it closer to Portland as we had it out there last year.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts