IFish Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
119,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But... look at the site name. "Ifish". "I... FISH".

The mods spent nearly all day yesterday with member alerts on the Sam Adams thread. Not only can the mods not have time to fish themselves, but they can't do anything at all with their time, if we keep having to edit threads about things other than fishing and OUR OWN life in general.

The question remains... what do we want ifish to be? Everything to everyone, or a simple place for fishing only?

I thought fishing only, or mostly... and as we stretch, we are losing our focus.

Pete wrote:
It's not so much the posts that violate as it is that the entire topic has nothing to do with the mission of this site. We're about fishing and hunting and sharing the events of our own lives - weddings, jobs, family - that bind us together as a community. We never intended to be everything for everyone, just a lil'ol' fishin' hole where we can come to get away from the -stuff- that happens in the rest of the world.
On one hand, we have a community, a family, and it's very difficult to "hush" the topic of the day when it means so much to all of us, and we have this in common. It's natural to want to share our feelings.

But, on the other hand, we could be a HUGE site, talking about everything and everyone. But, if we did, the topic of fishing would get lost, everyone would be realizing our differences instead of our commonalities, and well? The family feel would go.

If everyone could follow the rules of the AUP and not post inflammatory, insulting, divisive things, then maybe it would be easier, but not many can do that when we talk about such passionate things.

It's frustrating. It really is... especially when the mods ourselves have a stake in the conversation, too, and then we have to close it, despite our own involvement. So, please don't' think we are doing it to you. We are doing it to all of us.

I wrote this, the other day, on the hunting forum, with Don Becker's help.

As mods, we tend to be the most offended, I think. :flowered:

In the mods "spare" spare time, we work on trying to get closed threads or removed threads back on board, and/or reopened.

The moderators thoroughly study each and every post to see if it can be "saved" after numerous inappropriate posts have been made to a thread, which breaks our rules of use. The posts that get a thread closed are posts that attack the poster, rather than the issue, and/or are inflammatory in nature.

We do not have control of your posts. YOU and you alone can save a thread for debate and make it so that we can keep the discussion going for everyone's reading. These posts, however, are what gets your discussion closed. The moderators are in no way to blame for closed threads. Closed threads could be totally avoided if people followed are rules of use. :)

You don't know how much it bugs us to have to close interesting discussion! Please consider the feelings of those members whose posts did follow the rules.

Has anyone ever noticed that sometimes we have made our own posts to these threads that eventually ends-up being closed? The moderators are first and foremost members, here with the same interests as yourself. We are dedicated to the site and work on volunteer time to keep our site viewable and usable for all.

The Ifish staff just cannot read every post. Ifish continues to grow. Our fellow members (that's you) have the power, at your fingertips, to avoid having popular threads left closed or deleted. If you truly care about these issues, if you truly care about Ifish... then when you see violations, please use the alert button and send us a note so we can deal with the problem immediately, therefore saving the thread before it's too late?

PLEASE don't quote the offending post or comment on it.
Too often, when we do get an alert or notice the problem ourselves, there are so many violations of the rules and the posts have become so heated that, to clean it up would take way too much time and effort; leaving us with little alternative but to close or remove the thread. Please know that we all have real jobs to attend to, and family time is at a minimum, already.

So, won't you please help us help ifish? We share in the frustration of the issue of closed threads. It is our job to make ifish full of good information, accessible to all. (That means school kids, family members, etc. EVERYONE!)

Also, one last note... if you have a beef with how this site is managed, follow the AUP and bring it to the Admin/Moderator Board by using the Contact Us bar at the bottom of every page instead of making it a public matter.

Thanks for your continued support~!

Ifish Staff
So, while we try to figure out what to keep and what to close, and also, what general direction we want to go with ifish, please, please be understanding that we are doing the most and the best that we can do.
Really... It's not an easy task, running a db. For any of us!

Jen

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I would guess all of us really valued what you shared above...and whatever choice you and staff make it will work out, be it smaller so to speak (fishing & hunting) or larger (more as it is today).

Either way I do believe there will ALWAYS be that proverbial 10%. Don't we always say 10% of fishermen ruin it for the 90% be it on the river or wherever that might be. As I see it that's your challenge the 10% which will always be there no matter the size of the Board.

I think in the "world" we all would all rather see the 10% aggressively taken down rather than all of us...be it those who litter the riverbanks or are simply rude to others. It's always a minority, yet I know a vocal one.

In the end whatever you choose will be just fine.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
This is your site Jennie, take it where you want. If the topics are too heavy and off topic turn them into a bunny with pancakes or something.

If you weren't doing a great job you would not have 10,000 members and who knows how many lurkers.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I appreciate this site and all that you do to keep it running. :flowered:
I have an idea that might help. Maybe if you were to change the name of the "Life in General" thread to something like "Family Life". Having the thread names be more specific instead of general might help get rid of those subjects we don't need. :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think you and the mods do an amazing job of managing this site. It's good to have filters on certain things in life. Filters (rules) keep this site exactly what you want it to be.

·
Banned
1,055 Posts
I think you and the mods do an amazing job of managing this site. It's good to have filters on certain things in life. Filters (rules) keep this site exactly what you want it to be.
I, for one, am immensely grateful to you, Jennie, and your moderators, for doing a special service to the fishing community. I doubt that anyone who has "fished here", has not been an enthusiastic fisherperson.
You have such a varied group, that people's interests are wide. Some are raising children, many are not. It gets to be like the water cooler at work, with people hearing ideas, then wanting to express opinions of their own. As we cast, let's make sure we all follow the rules!

·
Registered
405 Posts
First.....Mmmmmm pancakes!!!!

Ok now to the important stuff.

As my profile says I live here in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I belong to several sites that "have it all". Some of them are decent, but for the most part they aren't. They have become a place where there is more name calling, bashing, insulting, and the oh so famous look at me and my 250K center console, than anything to do with fishing.

I don't dare venture into the politics section over there.

Ifish is just the opposite. Ifish is about fishing, hunting, and general outdoor stuff.

It is also a place where we can share our times of joy, and of sadness. Where someone can post a picture of a huge fish they just caught, or their kids very first fish, and you won't get harassed. One guy went swordfishing last year. Brought one home that was a 100% legal catch. It did look a little small compared to some of the brute they had been catching recently. Here was a guy who just caught the fish of a lifetime, wanted to share it with his so-called friends, and was absolutely shredded on the forums for a "small" fish.

I remember my first post when I was planning on moving to Eugene. I asked if 4 wheel drive was necessary. Now if I posted that same question on my other forum I would maybe get 1 answer.

If I remember correctly, you guys and gals hit me with 34 replies! I was absolutely stunned! There is no way I'd get that many replies on anything on the other forum.

Ifish is civilized....except during college football season:D. I've never met any of you, but I feel like I belong here. I have been a member of the other forum for 6 years, ans still feel like a stranger, because I don't belong to one of their "clicks"

Don't change a single thing. You all don't realize just how awesome this site really is! Maybe it is the difference in out cultures..I don't know!

Still have the itch on living out west!

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
:lurk:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Dont change a thing i really like the variety of different message boards you can post too on here, i think if it was geared more toward just fishing i wouldnt be as interested in the site becsuse i like to fish but love to hunt just my :twocents: your doing a great job. As far as threads being closed by moderators its good to have some disagreement thats whats great about it as everyone has there "own" opinion on things so i dont find disagreement on a thread any big deal but i can understand if it gets out of control with foul language, threats, ect then yes close it down and if you get too many from one person ban there account if its something extreme they have done time and time again but theres got to be some happy medium with what reasons you close certain threads and still keep this a friendly site, i am very glad i found this site because i enjoy others opinions on subjects on here and i think we can all learn from eachother.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Whoa!

Man am I mistaken...

I thought the title of this forum, Life in General, with the subtitle, "Non fishing topics, just... LIFE!" meant specifically it was for discussion of topics NOT related to fishing.

And sorry, but where is it explained that it is supposed to be about [only] "OUR OWN life in general"????

Jennie, that has NEVER been explained anywhere on your site.

That is not to belittle the incredibly difficult job the moderators do.

And while I flinched a few times yesterday reading the Sam thread (not because I wasn't bemused but because I knew it broke the spirit if not AUP of ifish), I saw it as an incredibly relevant topic in the real world. No matter what side of the issue one is on, to suggest it is not something to discuss on this forum just blows me away! There were moderators who were actively participating in the thread, and by all appearances were interested in the topic. It got out of hand because a few of the 10,000 voices couldn't help taking demeaning shots. Not surprising, but while it was the basis of a lot of moderator discussion, it was the basis of a Hell of a lot of discussion of general life in Oregon yesterday.

So, since it is obviously your site and you control the vertical and horizontal, with all due respect, Jennie, I would highly suggest if that is what you want the LIG forum to be, only somehow related to fishing and/or about "our own life", that you clearly delineate that.

And Arnie will die.

And so will the clean jokes.

As will the speculatations of what the future holds, or the past held, or what is pereceived as right or wrong today.

And the box of chocolates will be only milk chocolate.

And in my always too openly shared opinion, a much less fun place to share time with virtual yet real friends, thought provokers, intelligent thinkers, bulls in china shops, changlings and yes, instigators and enablers too.

But at least [we] will understand. And many will go away.

The people who hang on LIG have an avid outdoors mentality first. That is how they got here. As difficult as it is, I would hope that the diversity that everyone brings to the table can be allowed to be shown.

But whatever...

:cheers:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Whoa!

Man am I mistaken...

I thought the title of this forum, Life in General, with the subtitle, "Non fishing topics, just... LIFE!" meant specifically it was for discussion of topics NOT related to fishing.

And sorry, but where is it explained that it is supposed to be about [only] "OUR OWN life in general"????

Jennie, that has NEVER been explained anywhere on your site.

That is not to belittle the incredibly difficult job the moderators do.

And while I flinched a few times yesterday reading the Sam thread (not because I wasn't bemused but because I knew it broke the spirit if not AUP of ifish), I saw it as an incredibly relevant topic in the real world. No matter what side of the issue one is on, to suggest it is not something to discuss on this forum just blows me away! There were moderators who were actively participating in the thread, and by all appearances were interested in the topic. It got out of hand because a few of the 10,000 voices couldn't help taking demeaning shots. Not surprising, but while it was the basis of a lot of moderator discussion, it was the basis of a Hell of a lot of discussion of general life in Oregon yesterday.

So, since it is obviously your site and you control the vertical and horizontal, with all due respect, Jennie, I would highly suggest if that is what you want the LIG forum to be, only somehow related to fishing and/or about "our own life", that you clearly delineate that.

And Arnie will die.

And so will the clean jokes.

As will the speculatations of what the future holds, or the past held, or what is pereceived as right or wrong today.

And the box of chocolates will be only milk chocolate.

And in my always too openly shared opinion, a much less fun place to share time with virtual yet real friends, thought provokers, intelligent thinkers, bulls in china shops, changlings and yes, instigators and enablers too.

But at least [we] will understand. And many will go away.

The people who hang on LIG have an avid outdoors mentality first. That is how they got here. As difficult as it is, I would hope that the diversity that everyone brings to the table can be allowed to be shown.

But whatever...

:cheers:

Gary, I thank you for your statement and with that I have to say that I agree. I held back on posting what I wanted to say here because it certainly would have been tossed aside originally because it was from the hip and not the heart.

I find it amusing that we cannot talk about a person using his power and influece in what was actually a decent discussion sans a few off color remarks that were not necessary. It showed how influence peddlers like Adams or anyone in the corporate world can use their power to take advantage of anyone below them.

I'm more than outraged about this Adams deal. More than Derrick Foxworth. Foxworth at least picked up someone his own age and it was someone that had already done the rank an file to begin with. He had to step down for his infraction. Adams as well should do the same.

It is sad at times when we cannot discuss wrong doing. We allow rants against businesses that are not able to defend themselves here. Is that right? Why can we no critisize ODFW for example if we sign our name to it? Or a brutal police shooting that may not be justified?

My opinon, if we cannot talk about life in general then shut that part of the board down and save a ton of moderating time. then we won't have so much to take issue with.

I tried to write what I did with respect as I appreciate this site so much. Just sometimes, it does seem over moderated. Just my worthless opinion.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
If the Mods are getting overwhelmed then get more Mods that way they could shut down bad threads faster... that sam adams thread went on way to long... just my:twocents:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Maybe you should run a poll and see what it is that attracts people to ifish maybe its the hunting section, maybe the fishing, maybe its the general section maybe it is some other section but i know we are not all here because of the same thing some enjoy hunting more then fishing and vice versa so before i would gear this towards getting rid of certain sections on here i think you should look at how many members you may loose because of it, but in the end it is your site jennie so you make the decisions.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Whoa!

Man am I mistaken...

First off I really enjoy iFish. I spend a lot of time here and do my best to contribute when I feel I can. I've had several questions answered from the iFish knowledge base and really enjoy the tone that is maintained by the current mod policy.

That being said; I remember one thread in particular that got closed and purged with the excuse that this is a fishing site and my topic didn't fit the bill. I was really hurt by that. It was hard for me to come back and feel safe posting anything. If LIG stays it needs to stand up to the "non fishing topics" credo.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
Jennie, it's your site and can be run or restricted in any way you see fit.

What I saw of the Sam Adams thread wasn't bad at all, and I assumed LIG was the appropriate place for it. Maybe the mods had to clean it up and what I saw was the result.

I don't have a suggestion. If you want to ban discussions of politicians' behavior that's your decision and we'll abide. I do like hearing what other people with an outdoor interest think about certain things that are more related to every day life.

jmho, aw

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
I try to live a balanced life. For every hour I spend on Ifish, I watch an hour of UFC. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I appreciate the frustration. It cannot be fun to monitor threads like those. The efforts are appreciated and if you determine that it is too much, I can understand closing threads like those.

But, I think the whole problem could be solved if we drafted more gay, black fishermen into our ranks. I could support that...as long as they aren't gillnetters!

Kidding, people. Just kidding. :bearhug:

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,310 Posts
A little clarification and my perspective.

Before there was LIG, the fishing page started getting cluttered with happy birthdays, go (insert sport team name), a tree fell on my house, etc. So LIG was opened for those types of threads. Our lives. The board was much smaller then. Today? Not so much.

Today we have more than a few people who don't post anyplace but LIG. But then we have people that don't post anywhere except the hunting board, or the panfish board. We no longer have an intimate group of people sharing all aspects of their sporting lives.

So now we are discussing politics, religion, and any number of other topics that may affect our lives, but have little to nothing to do with our sharing of our sport.

We continue to have to remind people to play by the rules at this specific site. If you want to discuss those topics there are a million at least sites in cyberspace that you can talk about those things to their hearts content. And it is simply because some people refuse to control what they type here.

Let me tell you about moderating a thread.

A topic comes up that has the potential to be contentious. It starts out okay. People are adults and are having civil discussion. Then somebody posts something that isn't quite civil. Not an overt thing, but it is sliding. Then somebody quotes that person and is unhappy. A little less civil. Now a bunch of people pile in and the posts start skating the edge.

We clean up a bit and post a warning. Then the next three people post right back over the line again because they didn't read all the way through every post before they respond to something said back a page. So now instead of being able to go back to talking to our family we have to clean that up and again post that people need to be careful.

Go off to wash the dinner dishes and come back and 6 more people have posted over the line because they too could neither read all the way through before responding, nor do they remember what they agreed to when they signed up here.

Then The PM's start lighting up from the first 3 people who demand to know who else got edited, their post wasn't any worse than anybody else’s post, you must not like me because you obviously believe the opposite of me and you are on a power trip and editing me just because you can.

So a half hour later and most of the way through the TV program we wanted to watch we have to go back and clean up the next wave of can't follow the rules. PM's light up again from the next 6 people. And on and on and on.

By now those that think better through beer bottle glasses start chiming in. That is about the time for bed because we have to go to work in the morning. So, do we leave it open and spend a few more hours cleaning it up? Or do we close it and just go to bed? I guarantee you that after having an entire evening ruined by people that can't control what they post, the answer is to just shut it down and go to bed. Then the best part. You get the notes from people demanding to know why the thread was closed down because they didn’t see anything wrong in the thread. Yep, you didn’t see the 10 – 30 posts that were removed.

And that really sucks too because there are a lot of things I would like to participate in too. But it is what it is.

I don't mind helping out here, but I really do have a life outside of this board. As does every other moderator.

How about instead of having to have more moderators, we just have less to edit?:flowered:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.