IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the Disgusted on the Deschutes thread I had an idea. I am into fourwheeling and clubs around the area adopt trails and host "clean up" days. They all get together go wheeling and take garbage bags with them. They fill them up along the way and pack them out. Garbage companies sometimes sponsor them and usually take the garbage for free.

So, let's have a cleanup. People that are familiar with an area that needs a cleanup can post and then people in the area of that river can get together and pick up a few bags of garbage while getting a chance to place a face with a fellow ifisher. I'd be willing to see if we can get some sponsorship and give the local evening news a heads up. It would be an excellent Grant Mcomie report.

It would have to have some time to be planned. I'm swamped for the next two weeks but would love to volunteer time after that. We could fish in the morning, cleanup late morning, Barbeque our catch for lunch.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'm available in a couple weeks as well (after hunting).

I participated in the Eagle Creek clean-up that Mofish organized a couple years ago and it was a good time.

Mike

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
YES YES YES!
I have tried to organize one of these for the past six months! I'm in!

Let's do breakfast and a clean up! Or several!

Jen

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Title sponsor is just calling it the "Ifish river cleanup" in your case. In the case of large sporting events, the title sponsors pay huge sums of money. I think that it is proper for this to be named after the resource that brings ethical sports fishing enthusiast together.

In short, no money just the ability to call it The First Annual End Of Summer Ifish River Cleanup.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I've been a member of the Oregon Adopt-A-River program for years and can get any amount of garbage bags for a clean-up. Having a local garbage company accept the trash is a great idea. In the past I've contacted the ODF & ODFW and asked if we could use their local dumpsters. They've been very responsive to the idea. It's a win-win situation all around.

Mark

·
Registered
653 Posts
I cannot exactley help pick up the garbage because I messed up my back at work. I do however work for Pride Disposal in Sherwood...I will talk to them this week and see what it takes to get them to put a drop box (20-40 yard container) out somewhere so we can dump the garbage into it. They might be interested, I'm not exactly sure though. If we get a container like this we will need to get as much trash as possible, these containers hold lots of garbage. If not a container, I might be able to talk them into letting us dump at pride's disposal building. Let me see what I can do, I cannot promise anything though.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure how much garbage is collected on a bank cleanup. I don't think we would need a dumpster but if we could get some people with trucks to deliver it to pride that would be great. I have a small truck that can be heaped full of garbage. That is its primary function.

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Ifish did need a dumpster on one clean up that we did. It was awesome! I wasn't there, but I heard it was awesome! I have pics somewhere.

We really can't call it the first annual, but annual would be nice.

I was looking through the archives. Here are some past clean ups that we have done. Sorry if I missed any:

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=004182

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000791;p=2

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=003334

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=003026

http://www.ifish.net/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=002640

Anyhow... It would be great to do one each season. Or at least every season!

Let's do this one up big and set a trend~!

Jen

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my free time, I'll try to get a hold of Jack McGowan or someone that can help at SOLV and explore the garbage sponsorship. We have a very active SOLV group at my place of employment.

We need some prospective places to cleanup. I won't be much help here because I am still new to fishing. Anyone? It can also be a boat ramp area. They seem to collect a huge amount of trash.

We also need someone to make a flyer template. Could we use ifish as the title sponsor Jen? I can try and throw that together.

Next, let's look at what day to put it on. We might have to put it off for a month or so but sooner is better than later. The trash is the most heavy right now because of fairweather anglers and other river users.

Last thing, Let's here from more interested parties. Last thing I want to do is go and throw this together with only three people that are going to show. I work at a company that employs ~600 people and every year we have about 100 of them at SOLV's events. That 17%. 17% of 5000 is 850 we should be able to clean a few river banks with that amount of people.

Come on peeps, I'll do this thing.

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
I don't know what title sponsor means. If it means I need to pay out thousands of dollars, no! I don't have it. I'll do what I can, though!

Please, people... Let's figure out a river and do this. We have done them well in the past.

I guess first we'll need to pick a date and time. Suggestions?

Jen

·
Registered
537 Posts
Lets do Eagle creek again after the silver season. Bonny Lure down to the Clackamas and the falls area around Eagle Fern gets trashed some years. I can take a Trash load in my pickup to a drop box. Some time around the end of Oct. first of Nov.?

Pat

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Carver!
Several times this year, I have taken my driftboat and filled it up with trash just doing Barton to Carver. The rafters and tubers have done a lot of damage this year. Worse than ever!
Barton Park was kind enough to give me trash bags, and let me use the County Dumpster for the park. So I'm sure that can be arranged.
I've done this on my own not only out of discust, but also because I lost a couple out of state fishing customers because of all the trash on the river. They didn't feel comfortable paying to look at other peoples garbage all day. I totally understand.
I can put you in touch with park management any time, and I'm always willing to help.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad we are starting to get more replies. The Clackamas would be a great place for me, I'm only 5 minutes from riverside park.

I would like to see interest in other rivers too!

Let's start talking about a date.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts