IFish Fishing Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Maybe I am just getting more tolerant in my older years but I really think the personality of the forum is constantly improving, and with it the usefulness. I signed up in 2003 and watched it for a while but found many of the replies to simple but genuine questions to be a little harsh on the guy asking. I didn't even bother looking at it for a while. Today, there are far fewer know it alls and my way is the only way folks and the tone of replies or comments is a little more folksy and helpful. I like that.

As for the format, it is always going to change when it needs to catch up with the latest software technology if only to enhance security of user info. It happens to most all forums but invariably the new format turns out to be better than the previous. I am on a couple forums owned by Verticalscope and I like the latest layout a lot. I don't use the Tapatalk app and the new layout displays very well on my iPhone.

So I guess what I am saying is as long as everyone keeps on being nice I don't see any need to change anything here.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
We made it 56 posts before you had to post some thing negative. This is a discussion on how to improve IFish and many have replied, many lurking. This is not a whinnying session but a discussion. There are folks that have replied that say they are reluctant to post because folks slam them. IMO that is not what this site is for. This site is for helping and sharing not slamming.
I didn’t realize it was a post on improving Ifish. I thought it was about starting another site. and everybody’s too big a wimp these days part of what’s wrong with America is everybody wants to cry because somebody slammed them. get a little thicker skin. Is the site called salty dogs or salty puppies. In fact your handle is king killer how about king releaser. It sounds a lot kinder and less harsh.

Reactions: Sneaker

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I didn’t realize it was a post on improving Ifish. I thought it was about starting another site. and everybody’s too big a wimp these days part of what’s wrong with America is everybody wants to cry because somebody slammed them. get a little thicker skin. Is the site called salty dogs or salty puppies. In fact your handle is king killer how about king releaser. It sounds a lot kinder and less harsh.
That’s funny right there I don’t care who you are.

Puffin, I’d love to buy you a beer some day and hear some fishing stories.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I’m pretty darned new to iFish. It is about the closest thing to social media I play with. Enjoy the range of topics. I found Kokanee fishing a little over a year ago. Owe a part of every fish landed to help I’ve found here. I’m a believer in “you get out of it what you put into it”, the rule of reciprocity etc - so I figure my dues has something to do with putting up a few posts here and there.

We are all living with more change around us than previous generations - with that, it seems that aspects of a fishing forum would also change.

I fish for fun. I consider time I spend on iFish part of the fishing experience and much appreciate all of the thought, effort and membership contributions to give me the opportunity now to access such a convenient way to learn from others with such an array of experience and passion for doing what I enjoy.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Puffin what started this was last Friday when we were out fishing no one was talking. Folks were asking for help but no one was helping, no negative reports and no positive reports. Then back home there was little on the IFish site. And yes it is the only social site I go on, sad but true( haha Zuckenburg). So call me a whiner doesn't hurt my feelings, but am I whining or trying to get a discussion going. With discussion come improvements. New site or improving the old site doesn't really matter.
For the number of years I have been on IFish I have been hammered by some of the best and am proud of it. That is what makes IFish great is the bantering but to get right down nasty, whiner that takes some nerve haha.
Let the good times roll and I will meet you in the parking lot Puffin and you can kick my A$$. Literally I'll bend over and you can kick it but not to hard.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I think we need to improve boater access before reports will improve. 😬

I love this site and look as much as time will allow. If I could fish more I would report more. Work has me restricted to weekends. Would live to hit it hard for some time but life has a way of getting in the way of that sometimes. Looking forward to retirement (30 plus years in commercial concrete has me ready for fishing more)
Seriously I think guys have considered boat ramp over crowding and the fact that parking can be near impossible on a all depth halibut turniment days in there reporting etiquette.
Let's get another ramp and dock system going so we can all have fun again and not make this a money thing for the few that have a stake in the game.
Another thing is some over crowding while on the water. Example: you see the new ocean boat pull up whe your fishing for bottom fish circle you and set up drift close enough too read there mind. I like keeping my kicker in reverse and enjoy the ocean for its vastness. I would hope new people who come to the ocean with less experience would realize there is lots of room and you don't need to crowd. I have fished the ocean for 50 plus years since my first trip and have seen it grow like wildfire the last few years.
Let's make the best of this site and keep it a great place to come too and help get the word out. Like other Facebook doesn't hold a candle in my opinion! Thanks for those that are major contributors with the skillfull knowledge to share.
Randy

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
Randy, Newport could always tear down the brewery for parking and reopen the old ramp. Might still be a line back to the highway but it should move faster.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Hey all I’m about as having some fun and helping guys out whenever I can nobody ever helped me back in the day. I’m happy to say this community in Newport is one of the most giving sharing ports anywhere. when I towed down to Louisiana and told the gal down there who was an outdoor writer and wrote a article about the trip that we all share charters Sportys talk to each other she called BS on that and I said no it’s a fact. when we went down to San Diego a few years ago Rymart towed his boat down Cd Johnson and I met him down there. guys would try to give out some numbers when they were all done catching their fish of where they were guys would get on the radio and go. FU blah blah blah make them find their own fish. one guy said hey can you guys keep the language calmed down I’ve got my eight year old son on the boat. somebody came on the radio and said FU and F your son too. so if you go fish other ports and other places in the world you will find that Newport is pretty amazing place and has a pretty giving community all in all as fishermen go

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is also the only social media that i am a part of and have enjoyed it greatly
Lots of great people that do want to help make the experience more enjoyable.
We don't want to loose the wealth of info that experienced salts have to offer.

I am sorry to say that I lurk more than i should and will make an effort to add to the conversation.
Its easy to sit back and just read.
I have heard many of you say they are on IFish everyday
Me Too

I have always called out my location when on a hot bite and that will never change

Not sure where I am going with this but felt I needed to say Thanks to those that have more to say than me.
Thanks !!!

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Randy, Newport could always tear down the brewery for parking and reopen the old ramp. Might still be a line back to the highway but it should move faster.
I couldn't agree more Don.
Sad to see the fishing staging grounds given up for tourist in my honest opinion. It's not like they can sit and watch the ocean or the bay from the tin building. We only have so many options for launching and the property was already dedicated to the fishing community. Lots of placed to drink barely pop and brew beer around the area..

Did they think that fishing would not grow?

I guess the rent for beer and beer drinking brings in more revenue than the fishing had been bringing in. Seems like we keep getting pushed to the curb.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I used to love ifish now i only visit once or twice a month. I havent gotten used to the new format. I can say I dont like it all. I cant find the things I used to look up around here. Yes I know how to use the search function. Anyway I hope to meet lots of you in the future as I am moving to waldport soon

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I couldn't agree more Don.
Sad to see the fishing staging grounds given up for tourist in my honest opinion. It's not like they can sit and watch the ocean or the bay from the tin building. We only have so many options for launching and the property was already dedicated to the fishing community. Lots of placed to drink barely pop and brew beer around the area..

Did they think that fishing would not grow?

I guess the rent for beer and beer drinking brings in more revenue than the fishing had been bringing in. Seems like we keep getting pushed to the curb.
Ha ha welcome to the modern world where the God is money. we don’t worry about how people feed themselves just if they bring us more money

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Ha ha welcome to the modern world where the God is money. we don’t worry about how people feed themselves just if they bring us more money
Amen!
It's unfortunate there are not more point of entry for the ocean. With the limited access points it's not like we can just pickup and move, yet they give up prime Realestate for entertainment of the land type. Just another picture of near sidedness.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I wonder how many people are on their second/third/fourth accounts due to "Hurting someone's feelings" Or perhaps, not even close to that....I have heard admins will ban you if they don't like what they read even if it wasn't aimed towards anyone...

·
Premium Member
18,458 Posts
I wonder how many people are on their second/third/fourth accounts due to "Hurting someone's feelings" Or perhaps, not even close to that....I have heard admins will ban you if they don't like what they read even if it wasn't aimed towards anyone...
There probably are some but I think many just get disgusted and leave. Perhaps a mandatory time off helps with that decision? Moderation is always a fine line and difficult to do. I prefer a moderated site rather than an 'anything goes' free for all. But I think getting banned is the result of a discussion among admins rather than a knee-jerk by any one. One way to kill a site is to over moderate and ifish has been around for a long time. That suggests that, over all, that fine line is reasonably set.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,634 Posts
Yeah I've been a moderator before, and experienced very poorly moderated forums of various types over the years. The worst is when you get someone that ENJOYS the "power" they have. Basically becoming king of the forum and banning anyone for being halfway critical of anything about the site or anything else they decide isn't to their liking.

iFish seems to find a good balance. It's never going to be perfect because people are never perfect. I'd like the ability to use more... descriptive language like I'm more used to, but that's so far down the priority list that it isn't even something I really knock them for. And I get why they go that route. I personally have issues with signing my real name on anything critical about a company, but again, I get it. I just personally can't participate much in those discussions as I can't attach my name to such discussions due to my career in the fishing products industry. I do try to participate to the best of my ability as I often have a more "insider" view on things. But just a minor thing for me to have to navigate.

·
Premium Member
8,989 Posts
There probably are some but I think many just get disgusted and leave. Perhaps a mandatory time off helps with that decision? Moderation is always a fine line and difficult to do. I prefer a moderated site rather than an 'anything goes' free for all. But I think getting banned is the result of a discussion among admins rather than a knee-jerk by any one. One way to kill a site is to over moderate and ifish has been around for a long time. That suggests that, over all, that fine line is reasonably set.
I agree with Don's comments. I think we should appreciate the moderators for the most part, I think they do a necessary and unappreciated "job" and they do it without getting paid. In my approx 17 years on ifish, I've only received a few messages from moderators and none of them were knee-jerk type reactions.
ron m

61 - 80 of 80 Posts