IFish Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
A family decided to move to a new town and had to cross a river on a ferry. When they boarded, they asked the ferryman what the people were like in the new town. He asked what people were like in the town they were leaving. They said the people were evil, loved to gossip and cause trouble. The ferryman said, same kind of people in the new town. He took them across and dropped them off.

Next day another family came aboard looking for a ride. They also asked the ferryman what the people were like in the new town. He asked what people were like in the town they were leaving behind. They said the people there were friendly, helpful, good-hearted folks. He told them, people are just like that in the new town.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I've had issues with ifish police but generally speaking the majority of contributors are worthy to listen to or at least appreciate their shared info and commentary. An inner filter seems to be a definate requirement which for some is just not in the DNA. I kind of wish there was an ignore button to push. Being honest I'm sure that might be something "they" might push on my posts as well. Opinions usually have merit, discernment to know the merits is possible for most.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
A family decided to move to a new town and had to cross a river on a ferry. When they boarded, they asked the ferryman what the people were like in the new town. He asked what people were like in the town they were leaving. They said the people were evil, loved to gossip and cause trouble. The ferryman said, same kind of people in the new town. He took them across and dropped them off.

Next day another family came aboard looking for a ride. They also asked the ferryman what the people were like in the new town. He asked what people were like in the town they were leaving behind. They said the people there were friendly, helpful, good-hearted folks. He told them, people are just like that in the new town.
I'm gonna store that one Don.

Reactions: Reel fortunate

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ifish has been an excellent resource for me over the years. I have been here since I was in high school in the early 2000s, and still check it daily. I have met some great people and learned a lot around here, especially tuna fishing since I did not fish for tuna much before I bought my boat.

I would place blame on the Facebook crowd more than ifish for the over crowded fishing holes and boat ramps. I am not a fan of the Facebook, look at me attitude those people running those groups have. Facebook has taken away the need for people to spend time prospecting and working to find fish. Now you just log on to addicted and see what lure to use, what hole to fish, the color of line, size of swivel, which boat to follow around, etc.

Most of the people on here share tips and tricks, and use those to modify their fishing program. I surely won't post everything I use in one thread, but I bet you could figure it out if you read all of my posts over the years. Get out on the water, try new lures, techniques, tools and areas, report back what worked and do it again next time. Keep up that cycle and you will be a great fisherman.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Next time your out fishing and you have a good or bad day lets report. I have and maybe you have been out fishing when someone comes on and asks 'How is fishing on the south end' the radio is quiet, nothing then the person says something like 'I guess no one wants to say anything'. When I ask for a report most of the time I get silence then maybe one person will say it's slow or they did good. I am not asking for coordinates just if the south end of the RP is good or not. If I get some yes it is good I may move down that way to my spots and if you on the south end want a report on the North ask and I am going to let you know. Maybe not my coordinates but I will let you know if I am catching. The Thumb is a big area and this past halibut opening there were a couple good reports and a couple so so reports. Long ride to the Thumb on a iffy report. Mark on the Epic 2 and Puffin are the only folks that I know that will dial in folks with coordinates. It's a big ocean out there and prospecting is great and fun but give me a place to start. We did that a while back for yellowtails and ended up finding some great fishing. No leads just plain guessing where the fish wpould be. We really don't have a boat name been working on that for 15 years or so but we have 2 call names AB or Tire Guy feel free to hail us if you want information. This goes to the 42 participating and the other 2K watching from the sidelines.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I grew up with a "helping people" DNA and It has followed me throughout my military and work history. I am all about customer service, helping someone with a project or sharing info that might help someone and that's why I like Ifish. There are many guys on here with the same attitude. I often wish I could meet up with some of you. I'd love to sit down with ya and jack jaw for a few hours.
It all comes down to caring about others, sharing knowledge and opinions. Being open to that tells me a lot about people. I am not a fan of participation trophy's, handouts to the able who choose to take the easy street and those who impose illogical impudence as fact. That's why I choose/glean who I take information from. I truly expect others to do the same to me and for the same reason. I'm interested in truth, facts, wisdom. Wisdom is only obtained by gathering knowledge; good bad and indifferent. If I'm wrong I'll admit that and add/take away that knowledge.
I sincerely hope that some of what I write is helpful, insightful and worthy to be read. I'll probably stick to reading, contributing and posting opinions on Ifish (despite recent Facebook qualities imposed).

·
Registered
240 Posts
For me, this isn't even a "the grass is always greener" decision. I think ifish is just still the best media form for those that fish mid Columbia River to offshore in MA-1 south through the Tillamook catch area.

I've been on here 10 years, (since I started out as a newb) and have never received numbers for halibut/rockfish/lingcod out of Ilwaco. BUT many good people on here then and now have taught me how to FIND fish the old fashioned way. They have been very generous with that information. THANK YOU ALL!

There have been some rough numbers shared frequently for tuna and rarely for salmon. Most all of the salmon intel I receive is from helping others docking and sharing with them my daily info. "L Dock" in Ilwaco rocks! LOL!

I'm still here to learn and to share when I think I can make a contribution. But there are many on here much more knowledgeable than I, so maybe that makes me appear as a "lurker" at times.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Perhaps rather than thinking of another site refresh some of the values of this site. The salty dog board was actually conceived by a friend out fishing. I introduced him to the ocean off newport with a day of halibut and various saltwater fishing. his comment by the end of the day was “guys need to know about this I’m starting a saltwater board” he was a moderator at the time formerly Pilar now known as Han Solo. he’s back in the game and I’m glad to have him back. But perhaps some of the original spirit of sharing and helping other anglers is what’s needed here. I spent roughly 15 years out in the ocean without a soul talking to me. Learning on my own. guys would tell their buddys Hey we are wakin salmon and when you asked where they were at radio silence. so when he said he was starting the salt water board my first comment was teach these Guys to talk to each other. Over the next 8 to 10 years our fishing got better and better and better as guys learned and shared that a Wolfpack hunts so much more effectively than a Lone wolf. nowadays we’re back to radio silence. hey I’ll text you my number. guys getting in little groups and cliques instead of just freely sharing their information. so I would suggest that perhaps some of the values of the old days of help out your fellow fisherman might be warranted. as opposed to start another site. just my two cents and that’s probably all it’s worth. Good luck to everyone and enjoy your day

Reactions: boatman

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Will
Make it a point to call puffin on the radio this summer when we are chasing coho out there. I understand your point. I have always been radio shy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Thank you sir. I truly enjoy helping other people and having people around me happy and catching fish. We’re all here for the same reason. everyone wants a full fish box and rarely will it hurt you to share information. In fact I couldn’t begin to tell you the number of people who have located me on the radio and said hey you gave me a bite sometimes as many as 6 8 or 10 years earlier. we’re really killing them come over here. yeah if you’re on a dead bait tuna bite and you want to hoard those fish sort of understandable. but giving somebody a general vicinity of where you’re at will not hurt you a bit. say hey I’m on a bait bite but we’re in this vicinity catching fish. a little bit of courtesy and etiquette goes a long way. and everybody’s happier when they’re catching fish. just my idea of the way things should be. There’s way too many people in this world hating on each other a little love for your brothers and sisters goes a long way. Love your community

·
Registered
240 Posts
Imma gonna agree with Puffin, who always has great advice: Any site is only what WE make it. Period.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Facebook is the Devil. Straight up. It will be the ruin of us.

I lost a lot of momentum here with the format change. I use an iPhone to access this, and much prefer the “desktop” version that I used to be able to use. Now I’m stuck with the Mobile version. Not a fan.

I watched an essentially unmoderated outdoor forum go to poop. It happens.... I think the owners here strike a decent balance of letting mouths run vs. moderating... not a job I would want, that’s for sure.

In addition to the format change, this last year-plus was also jyst one hell of a year (duh).... in the context of the “ennui” some might feel here now, and maybe the decline in comraderie if that makes sense, I bet at least some of that is that a great yawning divide opened up and just about swallowed us all. Talking politically here. Finding out folks you liked were on the other side of that divide was jarring to say the least. Hopefully as society heals up and comes together again, assuming it does, some of that good-will towards others will return.

And then finally... it’s a PNW saltwater fishin’ forum and the sport has exploded in the last few years. I am part of that explosion. I think the old salts learned that if you give out advice or, god forbid, coordinates.... next weekend there’s 60 boats from PDX at your numbers. I don’t have a solution. I do very much appreciate all the help I got from the Dogs and would like to pass it along in my turn. Hope things work out that way.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
FYI I use an Iphone and can still use the desktop version of Ifish. You arent stuck with the mobile version $.02

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I’m with you on face page and other sites they should call it anti-social media

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems like Ifish after the change is not as fun, this was a thread from a month ago. There were 3K looks and 78 replies.
The next is a thread Jennie started in 2009 and the concern was what direction IFish was heading. This thread could not be bumped.
Ifish! We could be everything to everyone!The question remains... what do we want ifish to be? Everything to everyone, or a simple place for fishing only?

I made mention on the halibut thread concerning the lack of information and posts that were coming out of days of fishing. Two members put in their concerns and I have talked to others that have the same concerns. There are several members that had contributed a lot but they have dropped out.
So what is the remedy for these problems. Start another fishing site. I got a name PNW Fishin spoken here, or PNW Fish Talk or lets come up with some name we can all call home again. Ron mentioned a members only where we could freely trade information with out all the lurkers seeing it. I also agree if you post something there are a flood of responders that don't contribute. The way I see it from the last halibut season there were maybe 5 or 6 that put up what they did. Their success will draw flies to their honey. It's a shame that folks are unwilling to put anything out there because of that. A members only place is a great idea and for our sake just make it a close to home and make it about fishing. If you want to put something up there about the fragrance of your laundry soap then go to IFish general section and write away. Back in 2009 when Jennie was deciding which way IFish should go it looks like she opted to go big and now we have a business taking over. Lets get back to the little fishing site with a members only place. If you are not interested in contributing then you are not welcome to read the reports, get information or any of the other benefits that IFish brings. I know this is a big undertaking but who can step up and lead the way or do we try and persuade the existing owner to make some changes. Which ever way it goes we PNW fishermen and women need a place to mingle. This is IMO and my name is Alan.
I'm a Newbie to the site and find very enjoyable and informative , thank you who post

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Facebook is the Devil. Straight up. It will be the ruin of us.

I lost a lot of momentum here with the format change. I use an iPhone to access this, and much prefer the “desktop” version that I used to be able to use. Now I’m stuck with the Mobile version. Not a fan.

I watched an essentially unmoderated outdoor forum go to poop. It happens.... I think the owners here strike a decent balance of letting mouths run vs. moderating... not a job I would want, that’s for sure.

In addition to the format change, this last year-plus was also jyst one hell of a year (duh).... in the context of the “ennui” some might feel here now, and maybe the decline in comraderie if that makes sense, I bet at least some of that is that a great yawning divide opened up and just about swallowed us all. Talking politically here. Finding out folks you liked were on the other side of that divide was jarring to say the least. Hopefully as society heals up and comes together again, assuming it does, some of that good-will towards others will return.

And then finally... it’s a PNW saltwater fishin’ forum and the sport has exploded in the last few years. I am part of that explosion. I think the old salts learned that if you give out advice or, god forbid, coordinates.... next weekend there’s 60 boats from PDX at your numbers. I don’t have a solution. I do very much appreciate all the help I got from the Dogs and would like to pass it along in my turn. Hope things work out that way.
Jeff give Tapatalk a try. I have been using it for the past few years on my phone. Picture upload is way easier too.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Dave I understand what you are talking about but I really am not interested in FB. There seems to be a lot of ho hum attitude associated with IFish. I was just thinking of a fishing only site and with little cost. If a thread or responses have nothing to do with fishing it is thrown out. You can take that to some other site. Of course that may disinterest folks by losing the mystic. It would be better to have a large e-mail group and just keep in contact. As you I am not interested at this age to maintain a web site but I am sure there is someone out there that can do it with help from all of us.
I was informed that there is someone that has been working on a new site for sometime. His work has been getting in the way of just working on the new site but he hopes it is up and running soon.
I mostly look at the hunting thread and warm water fish thread and classified's. Haven't seen anything about fishing in the hunting thread and nothing about hunting in the warm water fish thread. Seldom look at the trout thread but just because not much interest in trout! Thing about ifish that bugs me is sometimes it drops me out and getting signed back in is a real ordeal! But if your unhappy start your own site, if it includes crappie, catfish and other warm water fish, I'll take a look. But geeze, quit whinnying!

Reactions: Chass

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
FYI I use an Iphone and can still use the desktop version of Ifish. You arent stuck with the mobile version $.02
How? I’d love to get back to something resembling the old format.

To be more clear, I’m not positive what I’m using now is the “mobile” site. Maybe this is just what ifish looks/functions like now after the upgrade? But looks a lot like how the old mobile site looked.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,443 Posts
How? I’d love to get back to something resembling the old format.

To be more clear, I’m not positive what I’m using now is the “mobile” site. Maybe this is just what ifish looks/functions like now after the upgrade? But looks a lot like how the old mobile site looked.
Download the Tapatalk app to your phone. Search for iFish. The Tapatalk app is what will access the site for you instead of a web browser.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
We made it 56 posts before you had to post some thing negative. This is a discussion on how to improve IFish and many have replied, many lurking. This is not a whinnying session but a discussion. There are folks that have replied that say they are reluctant to post because folks slam them. IMO that is not what this site is for. This site is for helping and sharing not slamming.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts