IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
I started hosting some zoom meetings, to share stuff / presentations, like we did at the SSS. That may be the new direction for sharing lengthy, detailed stuff.
Does the future look like every quality content producer has their own podcast, or whatever the future iteration of a podcast is?
Was Andy Warhol's prediction that everyone would be internationally famous for 15 minutes prescient?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Look at the seniority of some of these posters.

It‘s concerning.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This place definitely has a clique. The last time I posted about trying a new tuna set up there was 1 reply and over 1k views. Mark Mc helped a ton via pm’s about tuna fishing years ago and I still have his number. Really can’t thank him enough. We caught our biggest tuna last year flying the kite in September I just saw no need to post about it with nobody replying or saying they’ve tried it, what worked, etc.... We’ve been trying to catch a bluefin and have been deep dropping for Swords I just didn’t see a point in sharing it.
Halibut talk (especially inshore) on here or anywhere I relate to Walleye fishing the Midwest, you just don’t discuss spots online. Even talking to folks on the dock they’re tight lipped. Needless to say we put in a lot of time on maps and just fishing and have found our own little parts of the ocean to catch them. Would I share those with how it went for me? Probly not after all the effort. Just like I wouldn’t share where I consistently kill elk at.
Want to know what rigs worked to catch? I’m happy to share info. Want to know where the tuna were at we caught when we went? Happy to share info.
If you’re looking create something Discord is really next level IMO.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm with Don. This site is constantly evolving. It's not always for the better but it's certainly not always for the worst. I've watched a number of forums like this come and go. I love iFish and I take the bad with the good. The only way to "fix" it is to moderate it more. I'm not sure anyone really wants that . . . or maybe they do . . . but it will be what it will be. At least it's not the dog eat dog BD site. And yes, FB has lots of great forums. I'm a member of a number of them. I often snooze them because of information overload.

Personally, I think a members only forum where you are limited unless you contribute is bound to fail. You have to take the lurkers with the the heavy posters. That's just how it goes. Who gets to say who stays and who goes? I certainly don't want to be responsible for that, nor do I want to run a forum like this. It's a lot of work.

I'm staying right here on iFish. I think you'll struggle immensely to recreate any part of it that you used to like. It is an exercise in futility IMO.

Chass The Only way to fix it is for them to ban all the trouble makers, anti hunter's, anti fish, tree huggers, and all ass holes

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
Go do it. Start it. Maintain and moderate it.

I’d rather contribute to a moderated site than one where it’s so free and wild that the loudest, rudest people turn everything toxic, killing all momentum.

I’ve met some great people on iFish. I’ve seen some rude jerks removed that improved things. There are many generous participants with a wealth of knowledge and experience that teach me all kinds of things about all kinds of topics. Some are very entertaining. A strict log of what was used, how many bites and how many were caught sounds boring as Hell.

CW

2,520 Posts
I have made a lot of friends and caught my first tuna thanks to Ifish (thanks Odin).

I suppose it has changed but not in a real negative way and it is as close as I will ever get to FB.

What I like about Ifish is that it is pretty local and people tend to treat each other pretty well as we know there is a decent chance you will run into someone on Ifish at the docks.

Only 3 more weeks until tuna.

Mike C

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,443 Posts
I've thought long and hard over many years about using my software/web development and marketing skills for launching a PNW fishing site. Not really one to compete with places like iFish, but its own thing. Like has been stated already: this format is a steep uphill climb to launch nowadays and gain traction. You'll notice that all the still active fishing sites like iFish are all two decades old or so. They built their foundation of active users when this was still the popular discussion format on the web.

It's hard to "compete" or draw interest away from the dumpster fire that is Facebook. But that's the current landscape we have to deal with. Even being on the younger end of folks on iFish and as in to tech and marketing like I am, I still greatly prefer this type of discussion board format. It's a shame that a majority out there don't seem to have the attention span or interest to stay active.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I support any and all efforts to get as many people OFF of Facebook as possible.
Amen to that. Facebook is a cesspool run by Mark Zuckerberg. Double standards for everything. Stay off Facebook and Twitter. Another site ran by Jack Dorsey . These guys are a couple of dangerous clowns. Enough said.🇺🇸🇺🇸

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think this is a sign of the times. Look at the Moose, Elks, and the Eagles, almost gone. I posted at least 3 times how to make sure ramps at Odell would be ready for opening day and posted that they were open and still people still ask. Sign of the Times. Give Me without work.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I think it should be required that a person actually reads all comments before being allowed to post….. I realize some post are sent about the same time….
yet, some other long threads, half of the posts are the same thing, it’s oblivious someone didn’t even read the thread…

OP….ID this fish…post 1, lancet fish
post 2 lancet fish…
post 14 ”I don’t know, cool fish….
posts 20 Thur 38 lancet fish….
post 96 I think it is a barracuda
posts 101 thru 199 lancet fish
.post 212..it’s a starving tarpon…..

this could have been Over-exaggerated for emphasizing a point….

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
This is what I wrote back in 2016 the Title of the thread is 'I Fish' there were 94 replies and 32 participants. Some may be interested to go back and visit what you had written then.
'
During the discussion of purposed rock fish regulations there was a comment of 'another forum'. I went to the other forum and a couple others. I did not see what IFish has. So I am curious if there are other forums out there that provide the same as IFish.

I like IFish it gives me Oregon information in detail, I like the group of folks that come on line. I like that we get off subject and talk about a wide variety of things. Folks are not afraid to correct someone and some are just funny. And I like how others share here. They give you information, tips , places to go and what ever you ask someone is willing to jump in with advice. I like how I keep updated for things like tuna or salmon and all of the salt water things since I love fishing the ocean.'
So in the 5 years since I wrote that things have changed for me. I read all 95 of the post from the past and they really shed some light. Han Solo summed it up 'I am neither a customer nor a product, I am a person and I like to fish.'

·
Vendor
9,581 Posts
I've been on Ifish for 21 years and I still get a ton of great information here. I've made great friends as well.

During that 21 years, Ifish (notably Salty Dogs) has stayed mostly cordial, positive and even polite. That's impressive considering that most internet discussion venues have degraded into mudslinging. Ifish is one of the very few places online where people actually practice good manners.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This is a really good thread in my opinion. I’m fairly new to this site, but have fished my whole life. Quite frankly I stopped posting advice due to the feedback from so many on here. What I see (again as a fairly new member) is there are way too many arm chair fishermen and people that just want to contradict and be right. It discourages people from wanting to share what works for them. If someone asks for advice on a fishery that I’m familiar with I usually just send a pm and share my experience. They can take it or leave it that way. Who wants to post on a public forum to basically be quoted “your wrong and I’m right”. I’ve met some great people on here and have developed some great relationships outside of Ifish forums. To grow and share knowledge though it’s tough in my opinion with the discouragement that is received. I will just stick with reports.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
JettyJunkie I am sorry that you would have to go through with any negative responses. As a new comer I would hope everything was positive. Trying to help others is what I would think this was started for by Jennie.
I have found that you really need to never use others posts and to always use IMO as it is your and no ones else's. Oh yes never assume the other persons opinion and voice it you will be wrong most of the time. Its like walking on hot embers. This is of course my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I find it ironic and amusing that so many of us that have posted opinions (including me!) on this thread are people that frequent the Salty Dog board almost every day and often multiple times a day. Kinda says there is something here that we like, doesn't mean we don't want it to be better, but we like it enough to come here multiple times on at least some days. Either that or our lives are really empty and bleak!

Like many, I've learned much, maybe most, of what I know about fishing our ocean from folks on this board. I still have a whole lot to learn and hope to get more knowledge from people on this board.
ron m

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
This site and most are what you make of it. It's a give and take for me. I moved to Oregon from Idaho and knew very little about the ocean or fisheries here. I knew boats fairly well as an engineer and farm boy fabricator. I gleaned so much from this place back in the day. I joined in 2005 after years of reading every thread on nightshift. I felt the need to participate and not just be a user of the great information that is given on this site like I'd been since discovering it around 2001.

I'd like to think I'm a quick learner and hope over the last two decades on here and out on the water I can help others out also. It does get to a point of seeing the same things repeated year after year but things change and there's always new things to learn.

Ifish gave me a great "in" to starting my business working with aluminum mostly in boats. The advertising was a heck of a deal back in the day and it helped me tremendously in getting my shop off the ground. It's changed with the site changes but luckily for me I'm at a point of not needing to advertise. I'm sure it would have been more costly and work to launch my business without ifish. And I have to say that my customers from here and the saltwater sportsman's show have been a pleasure to work with over the years.

I really like the site overall, get along with most, and haven't found a more suiting place online for this kind of stuff. I dabble in BD, PP, THT, aluminum boating sites and FB but none of them are a replacement for this place to me. And I don't really have time to visit more than 1 or 2 places anyways.

If I want to share with friends and family the bountiful harvest had on a great day on the pond it's usually on FB. If I want to share a technique I used to catch those fish it will usually be on ifish. If I want to share a better way to rig your boat or fabricate a better mouse trap for someone to enjoy their days on the water more, well that is usually in person or pm when someone reaches out to me.

I just don't have the energy to argue with others online nor care if they think they're right or not. I'll share when I can but there's usually others that have more time to do that.

I really appreciate many on this site that share techniques, gear, boating tips, seamanship, jokes, rules/regs, recipes, pictures, descriptions, boat builds, etc. I've learned a ton over the years and hope to continue that learning. I can hang with crusty old salts that have little bedside manner and hang with straight up Sunday church choir types as well, they all love to fish and I'm somewhere in the middle of that realm, I think.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like I-FISH...and I think people here still share a ton of information...if they ask you to PM then PM.
If anyone thinks that the same things they don't like about I-FISH wouldn't happen over time on a new site, they're wrong imo).

21 - 40 of 80 Posts