IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like Ifish after the change is not as fun, this was a thread from a month ago. There were 3K looks and 78 replies.
The next is a thread Jennie started in 2009 and the concern was what direction IFish was heading. This thread could not be bumped.
Ifish! We could be everything to everyone!The question remains... what do we want ifish to be? Everything to everyone, or a simple place for fishing only?

I made mention on the halibut thread concerning the lack of information and posts that were coming out of days of fishing. Two members put in their concerns and I have talked to others that have the same concerns. There are several members that had contributed a lot but they have dropped out.
So what is the remedy for these problems. Start another fishing site. I got a name PNW Fishin spoken here, or PNW Fish Talk or lets come up with some name we can all call home again. Ron mentioned a members only where we could freely trade information with out all the lurkers seeing it. I also agree if you post something there are a flood of responders that don't contribute. The way I see it from the last halibut season there were maybe 5 or 6 that put up what they did. Their success will draw flies to their honey. It's a shame that folks are unwilling to put anything out there because of that. A members only place is a great idea and for our sake just make it a close to home and make it about fishing. If you want to put something up there about the fragrance of your laundry soap then go to IFish general section and write away. Back in 2009 when Jennie was deciding which way IFish should go it looks like she opted to go big and now we have a business taking over. Lets get back to the little fishing site with a members only place. If you are not interested in contributing then you are not welcome to read the reports, get information or any of the other benefits that IFish brings. I know this is a big undertaking but who can step up and lead the way or do we try and persuade the existing owner to make some changes. Which ever way it goes we PNW fishermen and women need a place to mingle. This is IMO and my name is Alan.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Not sure your thoughts on FB, I can take it or leave it, but seems to be more info being shared on some of the groups there. You can at least make the group private so can't be seen by the general public at large on FB

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
It's really quite easy to set up an online forum and anyone with moderate computer skills can do it. It takes some time and a little bit of money, but website hosting with all the software needed can be had for $100 per year. The owner can configure it to whatever rules they choose. Make people sign up and log in in order to see anything posted as an example. Make them wait a week or month before being able to post. Etc. Etc. Been there, done that and have no interest in ever doing it again. Ifish is evolving as all sites do. The online forum format is being replaced by Facebook groups so would ifish members migrate to a different forum? Some members also belong to BD and participate on both. That's an example of another site that's already set up and running. I checked it out and didn't find it to my liking. When I did run a forum and people spoke about creating another site I offered to help them out. Never had any takers. Ifish is what it is. Nothing more - nothing less.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dave I understand what you are talking about but I really am not interested in FB. There seems to be a lot of ho hum attitude associated with IFish. I was just thinking of a fishing only site and with little cost. If a thread or responses have nothing to do with fishing it is thrown out. You can take that to some other site. Of course that may disinterest folks by losing the mystic. It would be better to have a large e-mail group and just keep in contact. As you I am not interested at this age to maintain a web site but I am sure there is someone out there that can do it with help from all of us.
I was informed that there is someone that has been working on a new site for sometime. His work has been getting in the way of just working on the new site but he hopes it is up and running soon.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Alan, I am with you …… I am not doing FB either.

I think I understand what your thinking… but flip phone Wak, isn’t much help in the tech department.
There are probably 50 fisherman who frequent Ifish, and probably 50 others who were once here but got discouraged. I wish there was a secure site off the grid.

As member 80, it’s was great back then (20 years ago) very few were tuna fishing, when we went maybe 4 others would join in, we left together, stayed in contact and never returned to port without letting the others know. I learned a lot, and those guys are still there, just not on Ifish…..
That being said , I have met several new guys, that I really like….and are great contacts and friends.

I like all fisherman, there is just so many now…..and the ramp was stealing me happiness….but that isn’t a problem for me at-least this year.

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Regarding post #1, the decline began well before the format change.

I see IFish.net as going through the normal product lifecycle: Introduced - Rapid Growth - Stasis - Decline
IFish has lasted a lot longer than other outdoor forums.
Quality content keeps a site alive and relevant.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Quality content keeps a site alive and relevant.
Gary, this part is spot-on & very significant.

I started hosting some zoom meetings, to share stuff / presentations, like we did at the SSS. That may be the new direction for sharing lengthy, detailed stuff. I still appreciate the good people on ifish (like you & the others on this thread 😇 ) but some of the behaviors & attitudes are getting kind of.....tiring.

Mark Mc(chainsaw)

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Not sure your thoughts on FB, I can take it or leave it, but seems to be more info being shared on some of the groups there. You can at least make the group private so can't be seen by the general public at large on FB
Yes. Even though we like to say "FB is evil", I do happen to like the private group function. As an example, I started a group with some of the folks who were on a long range trip with me. It was a great way to share photos, and stay in touch regarding future trips. And when one guy started acting like an @$$, I simply deleted him from the group. There is also a very large So Cal long range fishing FB group, that for the most part is pretty cool.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I'm with Don. This site is constantly evolving. It's not always for the better but it's certainly not always for the worst. I've watched a number of forums like this come and go. I love iFish and I take the bad with the good. The only way to "fix" it is to moderate it more. I'm not sure anyone really wants that . . . or maybe they do . . . but it will be what it will be. At least it's not the dog eat dog BD site. And yes, FB has lots of great forums. I'm a member of a number of them. I often snooze them because of information overload.

Personally, I think a members only forum where you are limited unless you contribute is bound to fail. You have to take the lurkers with the the heavy posters. That's just how it goes. Who gets to say who stays and who goes? I certainly don't want to be responsible for that, nor do I want to run a forum like this. It's a lot of work.

I'm staying right here on iFish. I think you'll struggle immensely to recreate any part of it that you used to like. It is an exercise in futility IMO.

Chass

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yes. Even though we like to say "FB is evil", I do happen to like the private group function. As an example, I started a group with some of the folks who were on a long range trip with me. It was a great way to share photos, and stay in touch regarding future trips. And when one guy started acting like an @$$, I simply deleted him from the group. There is also a very large So Cal long range fishing FB group, that for the most part is pretty cool.

And now you're breaking the rules by saying anything critical of ifish and can be removed. The note I got was, if you're not happy write the administration. Don't put it on the board. These fishing boards all get a bit tiring with the same people having something to say about every post. Guy works all day posts a picture or info on his day off and has to listen to every expert keyboard fisherman. I'm sure it just gets old. Then they lose interest and don't frequent the site. it's just fishing, kinda cracks me up, some of the elitist behavior. My home board isn't like this at all. We all live in a little community and know each-other. While we are on the water we will all share info etc..We really are a fishing community.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've been using Ifish since 2011. (had an older account FishBloodzz but never was able to fix it for some reason after the update, even with admin help which is all good). Anyways...... I've seen the good and bad of the online forum these last 10 years and I want to say Ifish has been pretty awesome for me personally and my buddies. If you're genuine and really want help there's guys on here that will comment with GOOD information on your post, and will reach out with some even better information using a private message, Shout out to @Don G Baldi who recenctly shared some great information with me about crossing tilly bar. But to move this to a FB group would be pretty lame. It's pretty hostile on FB even from the Admins of groups. I'll stretch my neck out and say I'll never post on Addicts page again. Even with the "Don't name the river rule" if you post anything with a background shot with a buddy who catches his first steelhead and it may or may not look somewhat like the Wilson you get crucified and harassed by people on FB with no real recourse. So I'll keep supporting Ifish and would love to help improve it any way I can.

·
Registered
871 Posts
People have been banned in the past for making similar posts.
Choose your words carefully.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Cliff, yes the HTC having such a small group, does have something to do with the true "family" nature.

I'm curious...you said:

Do you think I said something critical of ifish? That rises to the level of "being removed"? The only thing I said was:

"...it feels ethically wrong to claim that I don't own my content"
To me you haven't said anything offensive. when I replied it took your post and riposted..I wasn't really saying you. However when I had some constructive criticism I was told not acceptable. I'm a big boy with thick skin the older I get the less I care. The thing these boards don't get is, without you, the users, there is no board. It seems it would behoove the caretakers to make it a place people want to frequent. I now have a new rule on my boat while fishing. NO POLITICS and NO RELIGION. Just saves everyone a headache. Mark you in-particular,( there are others), who actually contribute to the site, very valuable info. I think it should be your property.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
All I pictured was a place where you could talk fishing. Fishing and that is all. You go into the Salty Dog site and you get, the C word, political stuff, junk and other stuff. OK I admit I have put things in there at times and responded to some at times. But when this runs off others that have something to contribute it's not a good thing. When you have an only fishing site someone who posts crude that is not concerning fishing that post gets taken out. Someone wants to do battle or conjure up something to get something going that's out. Plus like Mark said(sorry Mark for using your example) 'And when one guy started acting like an @$$, I simply deleted him from the group.' That's easy and we all know who is the offender just from listening to them on IFish. Their little soap box will be removed, easy to do.
Maybe we should try this new site when it comes available or move on to wait a minute I am chocking, OK ready FB.
IFish I am sure will stay around I need help with my garden,for recipes, getting and giving out advice or buying and selling items.
I'm not saying that IFish disappears I am just saying it could be improved. How to get rid of the folks that just sit in the back ground and watch, not sure.
But I will say IMO if the owners of IFish are not watching this discussion something is wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
New to ifish so I never really experienced the good ole days the group is referring to.
Yes, there are certainly posts that I scroll past and ignore. However…I have to say that this is the best forum I’ve seen.
The generosity and willingness of 1 fellow angler YEARS ago is what got me into fishing. Had it not been somebody stopping me on a lake bank and correcting my errors…I wouldn’t have caught a fish and gotten myself hooked.
While there are problems with some posts and people, the overall spirit of the site is great and I have really enjoyed being a microscopic part of the community and love to see people sharing success. There have been several times where the positive reports with detail are what got my buddies off their butts and on the water.
As members of this community, our job is to ensure that the spirit that made us love this site, endures. We can’t run to the next shiny site because we don’t like an update, or don’t like the direction. Fix it the old school way…grassroots. If you don’t like somebody’s posts, report it or correct it.
I’ve seen plenty of posts where an old salty vet chimes in and stops the tangent. It’s part of being the old salty vet…you have to speak up!
My two cents wrapped up…run towards the problem not away from it. That’s how culture thrives.
cheers fellas! Hope to meet some of you out on the water.

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
King, I submit that the Salty Dog forum is close to what I think you are saying. It pretty much sticks to fishing and boating in the ocean, the occasional recipe and good natured jab. I love the boat build threads and the discussion on motors, etc. The General forum is a different place altogether and I personally only look at the Community forum a couple times a year during shad season. But the SDs, by and large, are respectful and helpful.

Chass made a point of what it was like 20 years ago in the beginning of ifish. That was a different time. No cell phones smaller than a suitcase. No Facebook. No Twitter or other social media sites. The choice was either an online forum, such as ifish, or a Yahoo Group. That time is past and won't return as much as we would like. And since ifish is all the social media I care to be involved with, I'll be here until they turn off the lights. Or boot my carcass to the curb.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I only joined a few years ago, so perhaps I missed some sort of Golden Era of Ifish. I enjoy the site, and owe almost everything I know about salmon fishing to helpful folks who post here.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'm not going to dis ifish, it's still a good site with great members. If you wanted to start a group, look at MeWe. It doesn't invade your privacy like FB does and groups are moderated by their owners, rather than heavily censored by the website.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts