IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bout this one I just got?

Anyone? Everyone?

I'll point him to this thread.

Hello, my name is Erich. I am interested in Sturgeon fishing, and plan a trip with
some friends in a couple of weeks. I was hoping you could give me some insight
on the conditions of the Columbia, especially at Bonneville gorge. I'm from
Sacramento and have fished here in the delta most of my life, but never out of state.
I have a 14ft. westerner aluminum and want to know if it will be sufficient enough
to fish such a big river like the columbia. Could you tell me what a typical day on
the river is? How choppy it gets, if there a swells, and if it gets dangerous. I just
want to be prepared. I am having a hard time getting this kind of info. Any reply \
would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
14 foot aluminum below bonneville?
Do you know how to swim?
:whazzup:
O.K. that was mean...
When fishing potentially dangerous waters it is best to go with someone who is familiar with the area and fishing methods...
perhaps a guide would be the best choice for this fellow? :hoboy:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
That river eats Californians for lunch!

G

·
Even with the proper anchor system and a "glass day" on the Columbia River, I would not fish below the Fishery at Bonneville in a 14 foot boat. That's just me though. If any West wind at all comes up, so does the chop and swells, so you might be wishing you were not up there.

I fish it a lot in a 20 foot stable and wide boat
but have still wished I was not there many times.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Think of fishing the SF Bay on a strong outgoing tide with a strong onshore wind - if you would feel safe in a 14' boat there you will feel safe below Bonneville. PS there is a lot of river between Bonneville and the coast, including the Willamette, to fish. I would suggest a guide, it is difficult to locate good spots on a short time frame without one.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Originally posted by lost_sailor:
That river eats Californians for lunch!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">"THAT" river eats ANYONE for lunch who is not prepared with the right boating skills and boat. It doesn't care what state you're from. It's not PC to discriminate against a fellow fisherman, no matter what state they're from. Welcome to Oregon, Erich, MOST of us are friendly here and wish you the best of luck in your venture. Careful on the river though, it's a tad bit less forgiving than what you're used to!

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was a nice answer, Skrimmy. :smile:

Sometimes I wonder if people will ever come back when they get some answers on here!

Erich, I guess the answer is that you shouldn't go there in a 14 foot boat.

Jen

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wrote back to the guy, and told him how helpful and nice the ifishers are, and to join us.
Thanks so much for your good advice. I appreciate that. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
What about the Fishery at Dodson. You can fish not too far from the ramp and do very well. If the wind picks up, You can make it back to the ramp if you don't get risky and wait till it's too bad. You will need at least 200' of anchor rope. 300' is preferred.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts