IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how everyone answers.If you could pick one method as your favorite for catching salmon or steelhead,What would it be and why?
I would have to say Backtrolling plugs from my driftboat! There's just something about the anticipation of rowing through a run and waiting....waiting.....Bang!!everyone jumps in excitement to land the fish,Man what a thrill.It's not my most productive method but probably the one I enjoy the most. :dance:

R.R.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good one,one second it'e there the next...Gone! SET THE HOOK!

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Someone's going to say it, so I will. My favorite technique is the one that results in "fish on"! :wink: But, if it's for me, I love bobber fishing. Watching that bobber float knowing that at any second, "hey, where'd it go"? Just like the old ketchup commercial, "Anticipation".

·
Registered
320 Posts
mine:

when your fishing a clear coastal river and you can see the steelhead your casting to. everytime your bait goes by, the steelhead moves just a little, and then ... fish on.

even better:

i was getting everything together after landing this fish, and another small buck moves into the very same slot ... and he takes the bait.
:bowdown:

heart pounding for about 25 minutes straight. just unreal when i saw the second fish move into the same slot.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spotting steelies is awesome,used to do alot of that on the upper clack,It's fun to watch their mouth and start headshaking!

R.R. :grin:

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way Bernie snagging is not a technique,No matter how many time's you tell yourself. :wink:

R.R. :laugh:

·
Registered
525 Posts
gotta agree with river ranger love pulling diver and bait. watching that rod go flat........ahhhh grab it!!! :shocked: but then there's the disapointment when you grab it and the fish is gone! :mad: but it definitely pays off. although i have been catching fish on bobbers it is still not the same a rod going flat from a salmon or steelhead.

·
Registered
228 Posts
But then there is the time when you are on top of 30+ and all they do is RUN!!!!!!!!! :mad: :grin:

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You got it steelhooked the hard part is not going for the rod to fast,That took me time to get used to.Hands off till the line is striping. :smile:

R.R.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Let's see....
A.Bobber down,
B.Trolled Herring bit/Rod throbbing/Clicker singing
C.Rod in holder/downrigger bent over, clip pops loose, rod straightens out, starts bouncing
D.Bobber & Jig fishin' ...bobber down
E. Anchor fishin' Kwikie's/Wobblers...clicker singin'/rod pounding
F. Drift fishin' for steelhead w/eggs...slight pulse/set-hook/fish-on...

Let's see...let me count the ways :cheers:

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
There is nothing better than being on the river in April, smell of coffee brewing.. the sound of water running over your anchor rope, and seeing that rod burry, the clicker signing and everyone scrambling to get the rods in and the bouy thrown.

·
Premium Member
14,489 Posts
My favorite, hmmm.....

Bobber down followed really close by dragging herring. Can't say as I've had a lot of luck with either technique but that's probably why it would be the one I'd choose. Gotta leave room for improvement in your game, ya know?

·
Registered
609 Posts
It's the very first Springer. Whether your trolling herring or a spinner or soakin' a kwickie. That very first one of the year is so special no matter how you hook it!

Full Freezer

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when the rod is pounding so hard you can't get it out thats awesome!!!I agree TH.

R.R.

·
Registered
993 Posts
SPINNERS SPINNERS AND MORE SPINNERS NOTHING LIKE WATCHING YOUR ROD FOLD OVER OR GETTING THAT SLACK BITE IN THE BAY :grin:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Trolling for ocean salmon in a hot bite, the kind where theres fish floppin on the deck cuase you dont have time to put em in the box, the kind where it doesn't matter how your herring rolls,just get it back in the water NOW. When you have a double or even triple on & there all crossed up. This type of fishing employs all of your senses.

[ 10-31-2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Streetwalker ]

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
very fast action can be alot of fun,Almost like shad fishing at times.

R.R. :grin:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts