IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An long time friend of mine called me last night and talked me into going bobber fishing today. Pretty hard to do, talk me into going fishing. Anyhow, we hooked and landed a few and I kept a bronze hen. When we brought it into the boat, it had this gash on the side......

I would guess it was from a snagger down lower trying to filet and gut the fish with the hook set. What would you say? Seal?

TCM
ZaQsworld.com

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,369 Posts
Doesn't look anything like a seal bite. I'm guessing you nailed the cause.

·
Banned
644 Posts
I've never seen a "carp" with a snag like that? :sick: Did you catch that on popcorn or a cig. but.?

Thanks ZaQ I stayed and fished for a while longer, you didn't miss anything!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Uh...i'm gonna have to say..where the gash originated it's deep and round...not a snagger..(IMO) Also, Wise decision on keeping that fish...The color of the meat from the pic is wonderful..I have caught fish on the Nestucca like that and they were yummie :grin: Some of us know how to prepare fish and some don't :shrug: Ain't nutt'n wrong wit that fish :smile:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Zaq,
Big Bluefin Tuna. Only thing around that'll take a hunk of meat like that... :grin:

Looks suspicious to me...

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Bobber water? Tidal or interior?
tidal...seal, prop, etc
interior..could be anything.
Looks like the culprit while pulling on the hook made a slice with his knife for hook removal. :shrug: or a nice miss by mr. seal :shrug:

[ 11-02-2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
38,369 Posts
Well if was a seal it was missing it's starboad canine tooth and all it's bottom teeth.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Coroner's Report II: The real answer lies in the two diagonally matching gashes at 4:00 to the large wound. The only thing which could put this pattern of damage into a fish and then rip out a chunk of flesh pulling the skin back with it would be the inward curved teeth of a great white shark taking a large bite and missing all but a tasty morsel.

[ 11-02-2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Well, the only thing clear on this thread is that no less than 3 people do not know what they are talking about. (In terms of gashes on fish I mean.)

That gash, by the way, is from a geoduck. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked at it again this evening, it doesn't look like a bite of any kind. Prop maybe, but pretty small for a prop. Hook dug into the side and than pulled on until it peeled some flesh away, uh yup.
SNAGGERS.............

The asian ladies at my work that this fish is going to don't care one bit about a gash or color. They cry with delight when I present a fish to them......I am happy to catch a fish and get some nice eggs, they are happy to get a fresh fish. Happiness is good...

·
38,369 Posts
Zaq, I know what it was. It was a "love bite' from this!!

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
Anybody that thinks that wound was caused by a snagger is nuts.. STG rule, you watch too much CSI... :tongue:

·
38,369 Posts
How did you know that was my favorite show???

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
lucky guess

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna have to say a negatory on the snagging too. Looks more like a claw mark or something, could be teeth, anything along the coast that would swipe at something like that? I don't know, the initial hole where the tearing starts from looks to massive to be a hook, and then a hook wouldn't pull that much skin off. If I didn't know any better I'd say bear, but I think I do.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Looks more like it was caused by a stick to me. I caught a springer last year that had a piece of a stick stuck all the way through it and into the inner cavity just behind the gillplate and it was a round hole with the skin pealed back kinda like that but smaller.

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts