IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Bonk,

I read this same account in the book "The great salon hoax". It is a very intresting book and advocates to KEEP dam on the Snake River. The point made is that the upper impoundent of Brownlee and others are a larger problem (no fish ladders) than the lower 4 Snake River das that the Enviros are trying to get removed.

The book also addresses many of the things that are brought up on this board such as: ocean trolling, marine mammals, Indian fishing, Dams, gill nets, ocean conditions, XTC, and so on.

While I do not agree totally with the book it is a good read.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it sure would be nice to be able to fish for salmon and steelhead in the boise, payette and upper snake river:)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Hell's Canyon Dam is the one without the fish ladder, not Brownlee. There were still anadromous fish in the Weiser, Payette, and Boise Rivers after Oxbow and Brownlee were built. Hell's Canyon wrecked it for the Snake River Fish.

The Sockeye in Redfish Lake do not go anywhere near the Hell's Canyon Complex. They hang a left at the Salmon River and swim the length of it with no dams. There was a dam on the Salmon, at Sunbeam. It was responsible for blocking the upstream migration of all the sockeye that traditionally spawned in Alturus Lake and Redfish Lake, as well as steelhead and chinook that spawned in the upper Salmon, Valley Creek, and the tributaries in the area. That dam was dynamited many years ago, and now at least the chinook and steelies can spawn in their traditional areas.

As for the poisoning thing, I can believe it. I doubt it, but I can believe it. There are stupid short sighted people everywhere. The question I have is...Do we just write off the Salmon and Steehead runs in Idaho, because of mistakes made in the 50's and 60's, or do we get off our fannies and fix what we can to save these runs? I just read that as a part of the re-licensing of Hell's Canyon dam, Idaho Power and the Army Corps of Engineers may be required to add a fish ladder, and restore anadromous fish to the rivers they traditionally ran up. I don't think it is possible, but it would be SWEET!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I'm with you Bonk!

I have a picture of my Grandpa with a 35-40 pound Chinook he caught under the 8th street bridge, after school one day. Must have been in the 1917-1919 time frame. Man that must have been cool!

Think of all the good spawning gravel there is in the Boise, Payette, and Weiser, as well as the Owyhee and the Malheur. Plus...the addition (re-introduction) of Chinook and Steelies might prompt the powers that be to clean up the rivers. Better water quality would help everyone.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it sure would be nice
heck, id would be nice to catch even a trout in the boise river right now
i rember 3-4 years ago i used to catch 2 or 3 decent sized fish, and this year, from october, i have caught 1 fish in the boise river! not even a white fish:(

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
This post should read "IDFW poison-ED salmon". They aren't still doing it. Sunbeam dam led to the eradication of sockeye from Redfish Lake. Seems to me they poisoned the lake AFTER that dam had already done its job. I've seen the remains of the dam, nothing was going over it. Period. As for more recent efforts, I think they were after poisoning OTHER fish to try to help sockeye when they had the spill into the Salmon River, but I'm not sure. I'm always leary when someone says "It's true, look it up...", because I have to wonder why they haven't already looked it up and brought the evidence with them when they say it....

anyway, my 0.02. True, managers have made plenty of mistakes in the past and will continue to, doesn't mean any more than that, they were mistakes.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts