IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
119,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, just had a fun idea... Let's see what you think of it, and maybe help me write the rules.

Here goes... and these are just racing thoughts at this point.

To the potential advertiser of fishing products:

"Believe in your product? I mean REALLY believe in your product? Try a Truth or Dare ad on ifish!"

The proposed thought is a one month ad you buy on ifish for a small fee.
Only one ad will be put up, per month, and be pinned to the top for the duration.
After the month is over, back to the regular rules for users... No contact info, etc.
This might be a good way to get exposure for new guides, new scents, new boat polishes, new... whatever!

Why do this? Because I really have limited space on ifish, and many people still ask about advertising. I seem to turn quite a few down, due to not wanting to clutter up the board.

Lures, eggs, boat mechanics who would give away a free hour of service, reel repair, etc.
As soon as the ad goes up, the first two people to respond, (Or perhaps, the first and the fifth, etc...) get to try the free product, and MUST write about it.
The donation of products will have a dollar value. If it's a guide trip, it is for one person. If it is a 10.00 bottle of scent, you have to give away 10 bottles.... etc.

Anyway, the winners must give a product review. What you like, what you don't like. Does it work, etc?

Although we won't allow direct product bashing... (or should we, if it's really bad? :smile: ) we would allow honest reports. Thus, you must really have to have a good product that you believe in, in order to be brave enough to do it!

I dunno... It could make or break a product, with all of the viewers on ifish!

So, what do you think? Good idea, or a bomb? :smile:

Fun to think about, anyhow!

Truth or Dare ads? A go, or no?

Jen

·
Registered
124 Posts
I like it. I think it would be a good way for someone to build a little name recognition - hopefully in a positve way. But they must believe in what they sell, do or make and be willing to stake some free samples, time, whatever and their belief in their product on it.
I like the random drawing part (1st and 10th or 3rd and 25th, etc) for thise of us who can't camp on the computer but check in throughout the day. Go for it.

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
That sounds like fun! Featured companies would need to be pretty confident in their products, but there is no shortage of great products and it would be an excellent opportunity to introduce something that we may never hear about otherwise. Bring it on!

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
It'd be a good way to find out what works and not what looks so tempting sitting on the shelf. Maybe then I can use a smaller tackle box in the boat or lighten up the vest some. :grin:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Maybe I could advertise my new boat heater????

I like the idea Jen!! (of course)

Hey Jen...did I see you hook a fish today out in front of Chinook?

Jim

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Have it be like the ready set go thing that you do jen. If you where the lucky winner one month, for the next few months you can't play....get what I'm saying?

I like it. :grin:

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Hey Jennnie - We could decide which post number the winner would be behind the scenes before each month's ad. That way there would not be a mad scramble for first post (broadband advantage defeated).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Or not so Rich. Hopefully we won't have to rely on our recreation time for income. Nice that I can be sitting on $***** on 8 hours of work :dance: . That new sled is lookin' nicer everyday. Just have to fiqure what options now..........Chris

·
Registered
244 Posts
I like the idea.

You should allow bad revues as long as there is not too mush bashing or opinion. Should try to stick to facts. Just tell if the product worked as advertised or not. If not why or how far off what was advertised. This might keep the bashing down to a minimum.

I also like the idea of having the winners be something besides the first ones to post. I am not able to be on Ifish all the time. My boss does expect me to do some work, I must get some sleep, and there is the obvious - we all must fish once in a while.

Keep the good ideas coming.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Great idea!!! Dang. Already paid for the Boulton .... :hoboy:

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
i'm all for this. i really like the idea of reviewing the product for the benefit of all. plus, the businesses get the ability to advertise their products.

good one, jennie!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
count me in i might have some things that work

DID SOMEONE SAY TILLAMOOK SPINNERS :grin:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Jennie I really think this has some potential, not only for potential advertisers, but for exposing us fisher/hunter folk to some new products we may otherwise not try.

A few thoughts...
1. To be really useful, you will probably need at least a few (if not more) test cases for each product/service. This may not be possible on some of the larger ticket items, but by providing a few more "experiences" with each product, you will overcome the likelyhood of one person sinking a perfectly good product.

2. As a "vendor" who has allowed customer's to sample product, there is always a concern as to the way a potential customer will use the product. Often times good products are pushed aside, simply because the user did not know how the product was to be used. Be sure to work with potential advertisers on how/where/when their product or service is best used.

3. Emphasize user commitment. If an ifisher has the opportunity to test a product, it should be a priority to test it well. Not just once, if possible. Also, if an ifisher is not going to have the time or the ability to effectively test the product/service, they should willingly pass on the opportunity. Be sure selected ifisher's are aware of any time commitments for completing the evaluation of the product/service. If possible keep it short, for instance 2-3 weeks.

4. Would an "Ifish Test Lab" :wink: board be a useful way of communicating, following and researching tested products?

Good luck with it, I am sure you will get an overwhelming response.
:grin: :dance:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Jennie,

The idea of an iFish "Consumer Reports" on fishing technology appeals to me. However, it's a slippery slope at best. Evaluating fishing gear and services isn't quite as simple as toasters and lawn mowers.

Thought experiment #1:

Bill Hedlund and I take off with the same new gizmo. He dangles it where the fish are and I dangle it where my boat happens to be. Bill catches fish and I don't.

Thought experiment #2:

Jim Erickson and I take off with the same new gizmo. Jim reports five fish in the boat and I report one. Could it be that I have more than Jim? You never know.

Thought experiment #3:

Bill Monroe and I take off with the same new gizmo. Bill writes a column about the gizmo based on my experience trying it out. Two minds but just a single thought.

Bottom line:

I'd advise against entering the troubled waters of evaluation. Meanwhile, with a smile, I'd encourage all iFish members to share their wild ideas about what makes a fish skewer itself on a hook.

My brother-in-law, Jack, says it's all in the way you hold your jaw while trolling. Determination wins over being jovial. Fishing is serious business.

Kind regards to all,

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
I guess I don't see anything slopey or slippery in the idea of someone providing a testimonial about a product or service. It isn't a consumer report, be-all-end-all evaluation, it's just one person's perspective as a point of conversation. The product might improve a herring roll or knot or fill some other as yet unmet need. The review would provide a description of what the thing is and how it works. Over the course of the month, others can ask or opine about the product. The result is that a product or service gets exposure and expand their market, or, if it's a bomb, back to the drawing board ... that's the "truth or dare" risk.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts