IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read an article regarding the Keni, where if an angler catches a very large fish they have the option of releasing it and getting a mount made for a significantly reduced rate (about $100 if I remember right). The program is underwritten and supported by tackle manufactures and other business in the area. The concept is to keep the large fish in the system and therefor in the gene pool...... Now my 0.02 worth. Our very own Tillamook bay fishery, weather we realize it or not, is a world class fishery. What are other peoples thoughts on getting business to support this concept and then anyone, say catching a large fish (40+) would have the option of releasing it and getting a replica mount for not much money. What if we made it for just hens over 35 lbs? In reality, it is these large fish that we want spwnning and reproducing. Might this be the next project that the Ifish community gets behind? Chime in folks.........

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that would be a good idea if you can get the backing to get it started.
the more big fish that get the chance to spawn the better fishing will be. :dance:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I would never have any use for a mounted fish, I'm either going to eat it or release it.

That said, it seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I like the idea, but don't know much about fish mounts.
If you keep the fish and take it to someone to have a mount made.....do they use any part of the fish itself? Or is it all plastic replica? Do they mimic every detail on the actual fish?
If they do mimic every detail, then I wouldn't want to release the fish and get a mount later....I would want all that detail...scars, whatever.

Just my .02

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I thought it was a great idea. I usally get to fish the Kenai every couple of years and will be buying into the program on the next trip north. It makes a sense to return the genetically superior fish back to the river to do their thing.

Typically when we go we release 95% of the Kings landed anyway. This due to the 1 fish per day 2 per season regs they have in effect. One year we released 30+ fish - 100% of fish landed. I like to bring home the reds to eat and load up with limits of razor clams. Most times we bring home no kings in our box but lots of video tape fighting the big bruts. I also would set a goal of not having a mount done unless I hit a predetermined weight of fish. Say 75 or 80 lbs. My largest so far has been 63 lbs so a mount has never been considered.

[ 11-05-2003, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: pearl ]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ok, I am not a biologist and I dont want to start any flames when Im only on my 3rd post so please dont take this wrong but isnt it presumptious to assume that just because a fish is bigger that it is genetically superior? And (excuse my ignorance) will a bigger female and a small male or visa versa make a bigger fish? I mean, unless there is some kinda way to control what fish is spawning with which fish the whole thing is about mute because the genes are gonna get mixed up anyway. And that mix is necessary for the health of the species. I know THAT much because I live in Idaho where there is plenty of evidence that when the gene pool doesnt get stirred it gets a lotta muck in it.
I believe it sounds real good and makes a lot of people feel good but wonder about the actual results.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Thumper bad bunny. No carrot! :hoboy:

I like the idea. Wonder if we could find a taxidermist that would be willing to work for the good of the fishery.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Ron - Ya gotta trust that big girl to pick a mate that is her genetic equal. You know how girls are...she ain't gonna pick no Jack, Dick or Harry.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I also like the idea. Since the whole concept is optional, those that want to keep the fish could; those that want a mount, or hat pin, or decal, could release the fish. Oregon/Wa could well get into a "release wild fish" state of mind.

Re the questions about larger fish having large offspring, seems to me there is a lot of empirical evidence in nature that that is what very often occurs.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Cool. I could eat the fish AND get the discount on the mount!!! :tongue:

·
Registered
627 Posts
If there were as many large fish being caught in Tillamook area as were in the 80's would be a good idea and would have some takers, large fish being over 60lbs. anything smaller and a picture and dinner and cans of Salmon sounds good to me... :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
What LS said.
I don't think I would mount a fish no matter what the size. I think a program like that would make me think twice about bonking a really large fish.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I'm totally supportive of whatever it takes to evolve the Tillamook from being strictly a meat fishery. This option sounds like a good first step.

It also makes sense for the tournaments and derbies to have some type of C&R category, (or even total C&R) so that every fish caught doesn't have to be killed in order to count. Why keep adding pressure on the wild chinook stocks with these focused competitions? Pretty self-defeating in the long-term, if you think about it.

[ 11-06-2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It's not a bad idea fishbait. But I don't really feel it will go over that well in the Tillamook area. Personally I would never consider harvesting any fish for a mount. The fiberglass mounts that are available today are far more superior. A picture, length and girth measurments are all thats needed for a high quality mount for someone that wants one.

I feel a better idea would be to limit our harvest a little more. One fish a day, and under no circumstances are so called lost tags to be replaced!!!! Or if some feel that they have a right to have them replaced, make them pay in a big way for 5 more fish. If they loose that tag, SORRY!!!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Fishbait,

I think the real issue is proving you caught the fish. Mold No. 8 from the prop shop is probably not going to motivate a lot of folks.

If folks could get a good picture of them with the fish, they could probably be convinced to release it.

That's tricky because we know taking the fish out of the water is bad for them.

What we need is some photo genius to come up with a waterproof camera on a stick that takes a good fish pic underwater and adds a digital signature "Billy Bob's Fish Nov. 6"

Brion

1 - 20 of 22 Posts