IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginning in 04. Yes it's true.With all the troubles that Idaho has had with their fish. How can this be justified? Now, I'm begginning to really think about my ethics and if I should add more pole holders to the drifter and sled.

[ 11-04-2003, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Irie1 ]

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
I personaly think it's a good idea for here in Oregon. Extra pole means extra money for lisence,extra moeney means extra fishing opertunities. Bag limit stays the same,all other rules are the same.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
It has no effect on how many fish you get to kill.
I think that would be the reasoning. id. p.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah yes. But what about the federal offense of harassing an endangered species?

·
Registered
391 Posts
great, now all the dumb rednecks who arnt cool like small fry will be able to snag 2 fish at a time :rolleyes:

[ 11-05-2003, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: BonkBonkBonk ]

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hah. :laugh: Ambidextrious snagging. That sounds like it would be fun in Alaska where it's legal to snag in the salt. Now if Alaska would just follw suit. :dance:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't see much wrong with this. In fact I will do it, of course with the wife and kids in the boat there won't be much of a chance to do it.
I can hardly wait to see some guy by himself fishing two rods on the Clearwater hook a big B run fish. Between the fish, the other rod and keeping his boat in order this might be rather humorous, I know it would be if it were me.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
In Canada you can fish two rods. You had better get the first rod in the boat before you grab the one with the fish on it. You get wrapped up fighting the fish and forget about the other stuff hanging in the water,downrigger ball ect... then the next thing you know is you have a heck of a tangle and loose your fish. Sure keeps a guy busy though. id. p.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You just keep the auto pilot engaged and take the fish up the rail. Then net the fish on that side. Of course I think that is how it would work. :wink: :cheers:

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Hay bonkbonk :rolleyes: Some of us rednecks aint all that bad. :tongue:

[ 11-04-2003, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Small Fry ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Idaho has had the 2 pole permit (for an additional $12.50) for several years. It is an enforcment nightmare to have waters open for anadromous fish and other species, and have to have everyone reel in their lines to check terminal gear just to see if they are fishing for anadromous fish or not. Heck, sometimes I fish for cats with shrimp and a corkie...

I think if you are going to do it, do it for all species. Do I wanna hook 2 springers at the same time NO-WAY!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Irie1, where did you hear this? I looked all over the IDF&G website and couldn't find a thin about it...just curious.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Number 1..It makes good sense. Number 2...It aint none of our biz in Oregon how Idaho manages its wild life. I have lived in both states and I believe the Idaho Fish and Game commish is heads and shoulders above the idiots that make the rules in Oregon

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Friday Oct.31 Spokesman-Review.Sports page c6. Also sais that they're increasing the daily(steelhead) creel limit to 9 in possession and 20 for the season. The new limits are already in effect for the remainder of the fall season, and carry over into the new year.Where they get their info? :shrug: Might call the IF&G commission

[ 11-04-2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Irie1 ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Thanks. I believe it, I just want to make sure before I chuck out another lure. Might come in handy hog lining on the Clearwater.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yeh,...what Rubber Boot said!

I've been paying the extra money for two pole permit since Idaho first established that ruling. Do I think that this is detrimental to any species...heck no! The bag limits set the standard for allowable harvests - not the number of rods you're using. This simply gives you the opportunity to try different presentations at the same time, and if it gets too busy for you, there's no one saying you can't bring in that 2nd line - it's simply a matter of common sense.

Speaking of common sense, I remember when the law first took affect the sports writer [Pete Z.] in the Idaho Statesman went on record saying he was against the two pole permit - stating for example that he couldn't imagine anyone in their right mind trying to fly fish with two rods. Go figure....
I haven't read an article of his since. :hoboy: What a mental midget. :tongue:

[ 11-04-2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Born to Fish ]

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So What you saying, B2F, when I load the boat with a number of people and they all want to run two plugs on the Snake or Clearwater that,that is not detrimental to an endangered species?

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
I would gladly pay the extra dollars for the extra rod. $10.00 to $20.00 bucks per year would be fair and would bring in alot of dollars to shore up some of the budget shortfalls we now encounter. Say hatchery programs ?

It would be great to troll for springers in the Willamette with one prawn set up and another with herring or an experimental rod. Still going to go home after I catch two. If I remember right, there has been some very very initial talks by the ODFW last year about a two rod per person on the Willamette for Springers. Proposed limit was still two and all hatchery fish with an adipose fin went back in the water.

Multiple rods have been used on the Great Lakes for some time now and they have been better for it.

And as a final thought.... what would be more fun than four guys trolling with eight rods, or 5 guys and 10 rods, or 6 guys and 12 rods. :grin: I think were talking a mess.

"HONEY ! I need to go to Fishermans and buy a new rod and reel. Better get you a new one to!

[ 11-04-2003, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: pearl ]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Irie1, What difference does it make if Born to Fish and I are running 4 rods in my boat, or if I take my wife and daughter with us and run 4 rods off my boat. Same number of lures in the water. My sled will run up to 5 lines. After that they macrame themselves into a purse seine. I can't take 5 guys and run 10 rods.

I guess those big guide boats that run 6+ rods should be outlawed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts