IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ifish folks,

I am a grad student who is interested in using a bottom sediment sampler on ~5-10 sites in the mouth of the Columbia River. I'm looking to hire one of you for a day to bring me to these sites. Approx map below. The work is simple, get to a site, slow down, throw the gear overboard, and pull it back up. All of my gear fits in a 5 gallon pail.

I will pay cash, bring a beverage of your choosing, and won't be annoying.

Cheers,
Evan Lahr
612-719-8048

World Map Line Slope Science

·
Premium Member
22,361 Posts
Try Big Game Fishing

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Thanks for the lead, I'll give him a call. I'm also happy to pay an individual, not a business. If some guy has a boat and a day off work, that'll work for me.
For your own safety you want to hire a pro. The Columbia is dangerous and you want someone who knows the area and can put you on the exact locations you want to sample. Spend the money and hire someone like Big Game Fishing. Safety should be requirement #1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For your own safety you want to hire a pro. The Columbia is dangerous and you want someone who knows the area and can put you on the exact locations you want to sample. Spend the money and hire someone like Big Game Fishing. Safety should be requirement #1.
Thanks oldsweng. I don't mean to downplay the severity. I know conditions can be deadly out there. Called Big Game and his voicemail box was full 🙃

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Thanks oldsweng. I don't mean to downplay the severity. I know conditions can be deadly out there. Called Big Game and his voicemail box was full 🙃
Some of those areas you want to sample can be deep and have some pretty substantial current if you don’t plan it right with the tides.

Have you contacted ODFW or NOAA? They both have offices in the area. Both have big boats and are out in that area for monitoring and research.

Clam

Reactions: evan-lahr

·
Vendor
5,958 Posts
Sorry, was in Hawaii and my new phone is a disaster. Then got home to a dad having back surgery. Been busy.

If you are hiring someone, they need to be a licensed guide. And reality is, the spots on your map are real water right now. You dont want to just run out there with the wrong boat/captain.

I will give you a call tomorrow and discuss setting something up. No charge, just happy to help science.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sorry, was in Hawaii and my new phone is a disaster. Then got home to a dad having back surgery. Been busy.

If you are hiring someone, they need to be a licensed guide. And reality is, the spots on your map are real water right now. You dont want to just run out there with the wrong boat/captain.

I will give you a call tomorrow and discuss setting something up. No charge, just happy to help science.
Hey BGF, thank you so much for that kind response. I really appreciate it. I am not sure if you called yesterday, but I want you to know I'll be around today and this weekend for a chat. Of course, let's connect after you're done traveling and supporting your family--that's important.

Best,
Evan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts