IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I want to learn to Surf Perch fish here in Clatsop County, (Gearhart - Peter Iredale beach).

I have all the necessary gear .. I just need a Surf Perch Jedi master to take on a disciple or two.

I'll pay for lunch and bait if you'll instruct.

drop me an email or respond here.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
BP, Not really much to it...Just take rod and reel down to the beach...bout one ounce weight...18" leader..hook...sandshrimp and cast into the breakers..maybe just a hair further...nibble nibble..lift rod :grin:

MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
outgoing or incoming tide ?

How do I know it's a good spot to fish ?

wieght @ bottom .. double leader ??

lb. test ?

size of hook ?

fillet to clean ?

:shrug:

[ 06-21-2003, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: BluePig ]

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I used my 8'6 salmon rod..15lb test..on my main line i slid up an egg sinker(has hole through middle) then a bead, and tied on a swivel...then my leader to that...Hook was a small siwash hook bout the size of a #1 steelhead hook...i used an egg loop so i could help hold on the shrimp...or use stretchy thread.. We looked for spots in the surf that would appear to dip...where we could walk out just a bit..the tide was just about to start in...i wish we had started sooner. It gets hard to fish when the tide is coming in hard ...you get kinda wet :shocked: Hope this helps...there have been posts of late on here...just do a search and type in Surf perch. Lots of info and pics will pop up.

Good luck,

MrDorkfish

Louis
I'm a rookie at it too but i got a few and it was fun :grin:

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
go man go! it's stuff like this that keeps me jazzed about ifish. someone looking to learn and someone willing to share.

[ 06-21-2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: ampersat ]

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ALOT.

what are the pros / cons to having the weight at the bottom with two spliters up above. I see ppl on the beach running this rig, allowing them to fish with two baits.

i'll search for the surf perch posts .. thanks !!

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
what you're asking about sounds like a standard plunking rig to me. the upside of a two hook rig is twice the opportunity to hook a fish. the downside is a much higher risk of fouling the whole mess on the cast. things that would help avoid this problem are making sure you have a nice smooth cast and not feeding the rig line as it falls. if you feed it line, it will drop vertically through the water column allowing all the rigs to come together and tangle up. if you stop the line when it hits the water, your rigs will sweep downward with less of a chance to tangle. another thing is that with the double rig like this, you won't feel the bite as well. with the egg sinker on the mainline, when the fish takes it he won't feel the resistance of the weight.

·
Registered
501 Posts
BluePig,
I just use those cheap Danielson crappie rigs (.69 cents @ Bi Mart or $1.99 @ the coast). They are pre- tied with 2 spreaders and a swivel on top and a clip on the bottom. Add a 2 oz sinker, and a couple of sand shrimp and your ready to go. We would catch them 2 at a time rigged like this.

love2fish

·
Registered
345 Posts
Bluepig:
Years ago I was really into the perch scene in Tillamook county. We fished about 200' north of the jetty and really slayed them. Some tips which might help:
1. We always fished 2hrs+= either side of high tide.
2. We used 3oz pyramids on the above mentioned type rigs
3. We used MUDSHRIMP, not sandshrimp for bait because they stay on longer and work as well.
4. Once hooked, NEVER stop reeling in! Even if it feels like the fish is off.
5. NEVER, NEVER drop your gear in the sand! You will be singin the blues!
Hope this helps
Good luck :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts