IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven\'t seen many large coho yet (sandy)

I've been fishing the sandy and have only seen one large coho landed. anyone else noticing this?

do they come a bit later? last year the clack was pumping out some bigguns.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Re: I haven\'t seen many large coho yet (sandy)

That's because the large ones are the nates and you can't keep them! :grin:

Seriously though there were a lot of large hatchery and wild coho out in the ocean this year but a lot of the larger ones were wild.

I doubt we will be seeing as large coho on average as we did the last three years with a lot of them over 20 pounds. That is abnormal. The Washington record coho did fall once or twice the last couple years.

Dan

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

yeah, it just seems to me that the ones I was catching or catch or releasing last year were bigger and some of them huge! this year the fish all seem about the same size.

last year I was on the clack and this year it has been the sandy. maybe a difference there?

just curious of other observations.

·
Registered
448 Posts

What's amazing to me is the size difference from the ocean to the river. I landed a couple outside this year that had to go 15 pounds. It looks like 8 pounds is about average on the Sandy thus far.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

i was landing 7 to 8 lb fish simply by pulling them over the rocks to land, last friday i had one that was a lot bigger than 8lb and snapped me when i pulled it over the rocks. Face first helps when you need to pull a fish over a boulder bigger than a three stack plano tackle box. :grin:

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts

Uh, doesn't sound too healthy for a nate to be drug over rocks, boulders? :whazzup: :depressed: Tell me you are kidding :whazzup:

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts

i don't think that one was a nate.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

scottyV, no none that i cept where nates. none that was brought over 3 stack plano tackle box was backward either. :grin: and ones that i did hook backward was popped off, i only wish others find it easier to pop them off rather than fight a fish backward for 10 minutes and make me sit their and watch waisting fishing time. :depressed:

·
Registered
441 Posts

I think the big word is PATIENCE!! This is just the start of things. Wait until the next good rain then those big hook-snouts will be all over the place.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hey, I was out trying to fish the Sandy today. I was just below Dabney park. I saw several fish moving up stream, but had no luck with spinner or bobber. What do you you to catch fish on the Sandy? Where do you go? I'm pretty new, so I'm trying to learn... I'd appreciate any notes.

Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts

Last week my buddy caught a 15lb coho......is that big or just huskey????

·
Banned
2,392 Posts

15 lbs is REALLY big! It was a nate, right? Most of the hatchery fish we've caught are going around 8 lbs. or so with a couple estimated at around 10. We've caught two nates that were probably around 13-15 lbs or so. I did notice that the first push of fish seemed to have a lot of smaller fish, mostly males, but there are some really nice ones around this year.

BTW, can anyone give me any info on how strong the Sandy River's native coho run is? We've caught a few of them this year and I'm just curious.

·
Registered
348 Posts

It was a hatchery. We have caught lots of 8lb hatchery fish as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts