IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the boat used and there is a small dent just above the chine (tin boat). I think it can be pulled out somehow. I bought one of those fancy dent pullers for cars and it did not work. I have had the boat for a year now and the small round dent is driving me nutts.

Ideas...

Thanks in advance

Jet~~~

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
If I remember my metallurgy correct aluminum has a memory. I don't think your going to have much luck getting it out.

I have the same problem with the used boat I bought, only I have a big dent.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Scott,

Just keep waxing to a mirror shine and nobody will notice it. :rolleyes: Or drag me and BOE along and well make sure there is so much bait slime splattered around you notice it. You'll be too busy cleaning up after us. :grin:

:wink: :wink:

·
Registered
532 Posts
but wait---
try this
get some dry ice, and on a hot sunny day, leave your boat in the sun, let it get hot and then put the dry ice on it..

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Corirod... Maybe I will and just tell people that that is a rare factory option that only the custom boats get.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
532 Posts
jet, the dry ice on the hot metal creates the contraction that should pop your dent out-- I've done this back in the midwest on dents left behind from golf ball size hail-

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
So you have a boat with character. Whats new. Make up some story about the 55 pound chinook that hit the side of the boat with its tail then tore a hole in the net and was gone in a flash.

Rauly

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Try what snowball said with dry ice. I used it on a Starcraft I rebuilt. Pretty thihn metal thou. Where in the midwest sonwball? Mn. here.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I could fish with BOE and Waterdog a few more times, with all the spilled bait who would notice the small dent... No, I think I will try to fix is and POLISH IT! You know boats go faster and catch more fish when they are clean and polished.

Dry ice? I have necer heard of that.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
If its right above the chine, how can you see it when your in the boat anyway :shrug:
I have a dent in my boat too. It happened when I was fighting a 45lb springer. During this, a pod of seals moved in on my dinner, but that was like blood in the water for the killer whale which came up from under to get the seals. In doing so one of it's teeth hooked into the side of the boat. :shocked: Being a very well built boat it surived the attack. I did lose the fish though, but wound up with a dent that would have some meaning. And being a fisherman of stand up quality you can count on the fact that this is not a lie. :grin:

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
Scott - run the boat over and I will cut the dent out of the boat at no cost with my sawsall :wink:

You could just access the dent from the backside and pound it out :rolleyes:

·
Registered
532 Posts
trap50.. grew up in Saint Cloud, went to SCSU, moved to minneapolis area, then moved here in 2000-

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BOE, I did try to pound it out from the backside but there is a box stinger hiding the backside. I think I will try the dry Ice Method first and them you can have a wack at it with the sawsall.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
Jet - dont let a little box stringer get in the way, get a bigger hammer :shocked:

I just took a die grinder and cut off about 12 inches of stringer off the back of the boat, welded a plate under it, and then welded the box stringer back in. Only took a couple hours :tongue: I bet I could get your stringer out of the way with just a few swings of that bigger hammer, probably get the dent reversed in the process so you could work on it from the outside. :wink:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First, Remember these are big box stringers they are on a Thunder Jet. Second, I think that You would do a great job on the boat but I am looking for beauty not hammer dents and weld blobs all over on the inside and the outside.

We are heading down to South Beach for the weekend with the family. I think I might hang at the dock to see all the butts around 3:30-4:00.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Scott,

Keep an eye on Roy. He's been trying to weld on my boat since I got it. :rolleyes:

"Hey bring it on over and I can add a hard top to your boat."

"You want me to weld that on for ya?"

"Can I practice welding on your's first?"

:hoboy: :rolleyes: :wink:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know what you mean...

Roy is a jack of all trades and a master of none, except maybe rod building. When he gets the urge to build something, he puts out 100% effort and gets some pretty amazing results.

I don't know any body like him. If somebody says it can't be built, Roy Builds it.

He can practice on your boat first.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Jet:

Hate to tell you, but pounding on the hull won't fix your dent. Aluminum gets stretched, and the more you pound on it the more it will stretch (and eventually work harden). You "might" be able to shrink the metal by heating then quenching very carefully. Aluminum doesn't change color when it gets hot, and it is REAL easy to melt a hole in it. When that happens you teach your kids new ways to string cuss words together. And no guarentees that you won't mess up the metalurgy of the plate by heating it. Aluminum is weird stuff. Me, I'd live with it, but you can check with a boat shop, they may have someone who can cut out the dent and weld in a patch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts