IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took out my son, Kameron, and a kid named Justin, from southern California (who, btw, came up to test for Boeing, which, is hiring like crazy, if anybody needs a job).
The humpies, or pinks salmon our on a pretty good run right now. They come down the Admiralty Inlet, and go to the Snohomish and Skagit Rivers. The only real runs on the west coast of the US.

I was first up, but my son, not wanting to put down his rod, while trying to net mine, was slow on scooping, and it got off :passout:

Then the two of them kept me busy netting, gillin

g and gutting their fish (as I think salmon do better when bled immediately) before stashing them into the fish hold. And thus, dad was slow to get his limit (of 4) but it did happen as they cheered me on AND....even managed to net them for me :bigshock:

Here is a picture of my son, Kam, holding one of his four. As you can see, we had sweatshirts on...in AUGUST, dang. It has been on the cold side up here this year.

Just a lovely day with two boys, catching fish....the Lord has blessed me.

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are not on the top of my list in either of those categories. They seem to put up a better battle for shore anglers, maybe the shallow water gets them motivated, I dunno. Now, cooking them fresh, like baking, or barbecuing, leaves my palate wanting, BUT, smoked...I feel its the best salmon to smoke, and offers the best smoke taste of all of the ones I've tried (chinook, coho, and pink). When they bite, it's a no brainer....even Mark Mac, or bait boy, could catch one, maybe :meme:

· Registered
3,294 Posts
They are not on the top of my list in either of those categories. They seem to put up a better battle for shore anglers, maybe the shallow water gets them motivated, I dunno. Now, cooking them fresh, like baking, or barbecuing, leaves my palate wanting, BUT, smoked...I feel its the best salmon to smoke, and offers the best smoke taste of all of the ones I've tried (chinook, coho, and pink). When they bite, it's a no brainer....even Mark Mac, or bait boy, could catch one, maybe :meme:
Nope, I tried while I lived up that way couldn't catch a pink from a boat even.. but those were the very early years of my education in the ways of the salmon. I can catch the heck out of those chums though!!!:laugh:

Nice fish for the kids to play with!! nice job dad.

· Banned
8,835 Posts
They are a lot of fun on a flyrod, from shore or from a boat. Small pink shrimp patterns have worked best for me, and on a 6wt rod they are a pretty good opponent.

How long does your run last?

Skein

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.