IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can\'t take it anymore - the ugly eastsider gets an extreme makeover

i was going to wait until the project was complete but i'm just so tickled with how the first coat of paint turned out i couldn't stop myself from posting. if you want to see the whole project thus far, go to www.ampersat.com/eastside .

look at that baby shine!!!

just so you have a point of reference to compare to, here's what she looked like before.

by the way, does anyone know where i can get a short run of decals made? i priced out production work and i just don't need 100 of each of the decals for the boat (there are two different eastside decals). i'd really like to have them done for the restoration project (how can it really be a restoration without reproductions of the original decals?). i was able to remove the decals intact and get them scanned. i just need to find someone who can turn them into decals them for me.

[ 10-18-2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: ampersat ]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: i can\'t take it anymore - the ugly eastsider gets an extreme makeover

Thats looking real good. I must say I like the rugged hard used look of the before boat. but thats just me I run up and down the river in an old 1956 wood boat. still gets fish.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts

Cool project. That's quite the rocker on that boat.

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i was very tempted not to do the project but the wood had to be replaced. it all started when i hung a 4hp off the transom in anticipation of hitting the willy for springers. suffice it to say that if i were to have her in the water and hit the throttle, i wouldn't have a motor for much longer. so i started a new transom and it just snowballed from there. i've spent a lot of time fixing problems that were hidden behind the layers of paint (that boat hit something hard at some point in its life). provided my shoulder and back hold out (rowing), i'm planning to keep her for a good long while.

as far as i know, she's an early to mid-seventies model. now that i'm getting closer to completion, i'm more interested in researching her provenance to find out when she was made and where she's been.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

amp-

Looks great !! Do I get a ride when she's done?

I know that boat catches fish :grin: .

Chris :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey FWF1,

So how much would I pay for a guided trip with you out of my boat?

She's looking good now and will only look better as the next two coats of paint go on. I'll be holding my breath the whole time I'm doing the wood rails though, especially since it's getting cooler out. Either the rails will bend just right or they'll split. That would be some really expensive firewood. Once I thread that needle, I'll post more picks. I can't wait to see her all painted up with the honey colored rails on. I'll be afraid to even put her in the water at that point.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

Hey Doug! Looks good. Now you just have to make sure you don't scratch it. Give me a jingle some time.

Jason Bilyeu
503-679-6962

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

Amp-

With a boat that pretty, I should pay you! :shocked:
Seriously, let's get out when she's all done. We'll paint the intereior red with fish blood. :dance:

Catch 22-

Dust off those oars buddy, there are some fish around , just down the street. :wink:

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
3,581 Posts

AMP..You might wanna try a "Signs Now" or someone that does that kind of thing. Might pan out...might not..but worth a try anyway. Then there's always "E-Bay"...

Looks good!! The best thing about tackling jobs like this is the satisfaction you get when the job is complete. You know..."Look what I did"...

Mark

·
Registered
980 Posts

Beautiful job. :cool:

(My own personal theory is that the fish gods give extra style points [extra strikes?] to the boats with that extra mojo of care and beauty. Hey, I spent a gazillion hours and hundreds of $$, I think, restoring an old $20 rowboat. I was rewarded with a gleaming chinook jack and a bright 35-pounder -- and still had time to get to my wedding that afternoon. :smile: )

Regarding your decals, I'd try one of the "Fast signs" or similar brand name stores. They can work with all sorts of combined technologies and materials and duplicate 'most anything, I think. And you won't face the large minimum quantity issues. Price? I have no idea, but it's worth a try.

Best of luck.

P.S.

After adding this note, I went back and read your entire reconstruction epic.

"Terminal perfectionism?" :laugh:

I think you and I may be blood brothers, once removed (with the blood samples showing traces of sanding grit, fiberglass shrapnel, and resin traces. :grin: )

[ 10-19-2003, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: Paddlefish ]

·
Registered
3,604 Posts

Saweeeeeeet! :grin:

SKP - Mentor Graphics

[ 10-19-2003, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: SKP ]

·
Registered
6,494 Posts

Dang too bad we didn't have ifish 7-8 years ago. I worked at a cabinet shop doing custom commercal work. I could have gotten you your 16 ft pieces of 1x2 white oak.. we threw lots of it away after thejob was done.. Anyway your boat is looking great. gonna be done in time for winter runs???

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

hey rob,

if you get any more of that 1x2 white oak, could you hold onto it for me? i'm ready to start varnishing my wood and then i have to bend it onto the boat. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't split or snap when i install it but you never know what's going to happen. some of my pieces are quarter sawn and quarter sawn isn't supposed to bend very well.

i'm really hoping to have her ready in time for winter steelies. i've got two more coats of paint to go, then all the wood work. at some point, i'm going to have to flip it over and paint the bottom. given we're in the rainy season, i'm not holding my breath for a lot of clear days to be able to paint.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts

Why don't you spray the last two coats of gelcoat? My friend and I redid his entire eighteen footer and the only way to make it look nice was to spray. We brushed a couple coats, we weren't happy, so we found a cheap sprayer($40)to use with his air compressor and it turned out great. The gel coat was much thicker than regular paint of course, but using a sprayer was the only way to make it look prefect. Once we got the system down, spraying was much easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts