IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we fished the mighty Umpqua this morning for the first time ever for springers, launched at daylight went up river and found a hole to fish and were there 20 minutes and slam,down one of the rods go, you know the tip in the water type of slam when a bright springer slams your Kwikfish.So now we have a fish on right! :hoboy: Wrong, instantly the fish is gone, this is what I cannot believe, how does that fish get away with all those hooks, when I can have at least 3 hooks in my fingers at any given time while I am wrapping it with a sardine, I don't know maybe I am missing something here. What do you guy's think?
:shrug:
DM

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've not fished much with Kwickfish, however on other crank baits, I've found that sometimes, the extra trebles will push or pull the hooked portion out-- what' I've found to to over come that is replaceing the tail hook with a bit longer shanked treble, and replaceing the inner hook with short short shanked hooks-- also, a little sharpening stone does wonders for getting a nice edge--

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Ah the age old Kwikfish question.

I have run the entire gambit from no mods to 1 extra split ring to no split rings and barrel swivels, to siwash hooks, to Owners, to Gamigatsus and back to fishin them right out of the box.

My conclusion, kwikies are 50% lures. Somedays I've gone 4 bites for 4 landed, sometimes 1 for 8.

It all averages out to 50%. Extra split ring do make them easier to wrap and fish seem to stay stuck better.

Good luck

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
Ah...another question I have often pondered. Wish I had the answer too! :hoboy:

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I think GunRodBow has the bottom line. There have been many threads hashing this topic over. No matter what you do some come loose. It usually helps to let them take it down until line is coming off the reel. If you can do this while holding the rod yourself, you're a better man than me. The only way i can manage that is to put it in a rod holder and then distract myself somehow....like looking the other direction

·
Registered
255 Posts
DM, Can't answer your question but it has happened to me 8 times this year.If I figure it out maybe I'll get rich. Better luck next time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts