IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thing is really cool. I was curious how it would work so I went down to the dock where my boat is last night. I have 2 crawdad traps down right now and I wanted to see if I could see them. There was almost no light at the dock. The camera has an infared light you can't see. I lowered the camera down and I was able to see my bait and a few crawdads in my traps. I'm not sure how it will work in deeper water but I will see tomorrow. The only thing that sucks is the model I got only has a 50 foot cord. It was $200 but It is one of the coolest things I have seen in awhile. I know it may not help me catch anymore fish, but it will be fun to play with. I was thinking of putting a stick on the camera with one of my quick relases for my downrigger....sending it down with my sturgeon bait to see if I could see the fish take it.

Del

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it doesn't take pictures....It's real time. It does have a video out so you can record what your seeing....but I havn't gotten that far yet. I Just made up a thing I'm going to try to attach to the camera tomorrow. It's a 3/8 inch metal rod about 14 inches long. I attached a quick release for a down rigger to one end. I'm going to use it just like I would a down rigger but I'm hoping to be able to see a sturgeon take my bait. The rod attaches to the camera right in front of the lense. If it works I will have to figure out how to record it.

· Registered
16,891 Posts
I've thought these cameras would really add some fun to URB fishing in the Columbia.

Any idea how the infrared illumination would work in 40' to 50' of Columbia river water around St.Helens? I wonder what the visual range would be?

I think one of these units is on the auction list for Saturday's NSIA event.

· Registered
17,245 Posts
Just like mentioned above hook you video camera up. I then down loaded into my computer and grabbed a frame. We have the infrared model too- 100 foot cable. It really depends on the water clarity, I think over in the Snake River in E. Or we could see maybe 20 feet. Dad has tried it for sturgeon with out much success. After you get past 50 feet things get dark, even with the I.R.'s turned on. The distance view really deminishes. Should be good for springers though in less than 30 feet of water.

The fist picture is in about 20 feet of water, the second is in 40 feet.

Cat's are cool!

· Registered
21,998 Posts
When in Alaska a few years back just when these cameras were coming out we used them halibut fishing. We were in 90ft of water and the images were pretty darn clear. The camera we had had 100ft of cable attached. I believe you can purchase the longer cable for your camera but don't quote me on that. Really interesting to see those butts chewing on your bait as you are feeling them bite at the same time. BTW watch out for skates though. They really like that green color fin on the older cameras. :bigshock:

· Registered
569 Posts
We bought the Aqua Vu with 120' cable and here's what we learned:
If the water is real deep and real fast (Bonneville sturgeon) then we don't even bother...although a real die-hard fisherman with time on his hands might find a way to make it work.

If there is not much visibility, it does NOT work very well.

We haven't brought it steelhead fishing, as it likely wouldn't work as well, using the method we've mostly used.

For 15' of water, anchored in the Columbia mainstem or Multnomah Channel (visibility isn't great) we basically couldn't get it to work real well.

Trout in lakes, for some reason, avoid the camera and I've found it very hard to spot them.

Surf perch and Yellow Perch and bluegill and Chums are great, though! Camera doesn't seem to faze them at all. The perch actually look at the thing and are drawn to it.

We bought the long long extension arm, and that seems to help in some situations.

Amazingly, I was able to see quite clearly on a BC lake with all 120' of cable out, straight down, on a real clear lake on a sunny day.

My 7 year old nephew keeps telling me how much fun he had watching the fish hit his lure (watching on the camera), and how he still feels that he spotted a "sunken treasure chest."

Good luck!

· Registered
17,245 Posts
It is really hard to get the bait in the picture, we have tried. We use the fish finder to find the fish and then dip the aqua view to I.D. them. Saves a lot of time fishing for Crappie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.