IFish.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have no feedbck steering on my 130 honda. Over the last year the steering has become not so friendly(hard to steer). I am done with this type of steering and wanting to go with Hydroulic. First off does anyone recommend a certain type,brand,or any options I have no clue about? also has anyone installed it themselves? Thanks for any help you might have:cheers:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Teleflex Seastar w dual helms. Awesome, never go back to cables. Get the right displacement pump for your app and the correct yoke connections. Lots of parts that MUST be installed in no-bind fashion, take a look at exploded views, etc. I would give it a 6-7 on degree of difficulty, inc the safety factor of goofing.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Teleflex Seastar
Most marine places sell it-
Englunds -west marine or internet shops-toss the cables and go deluxe-you will need a new helm-which all comes as a kit-size the cylinder to your outboard size. Mark

·
Banned
989 Posts
Seastar is about the only game in town.... works great, and most autopilot systems are set-up for it.... Any mail order, internet, or marine supply carry it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
how about the baystar? it is rated to 150hp and looks easy to install.I dont think his boat is setup for dual helm steering

·
Registered
5,064 Posts

I could have been clearer, I have dual helm setup..

many boats benefit tho and they make small 6" ish wheels for this purpose and mount them center aft, handy for tweaking course, vs. autopilot...

how about the baystar? it is rated to 150hp and looks easy to install.I dont think his boat is setup for dual helm steering

·
Registered
840 Posts
Jeff, go with the seastar. I have a seastar on my lund and a baystar on my Arima. Seastar best by far. Someday I'll replace my baystar when Honda comes out with a 175 and I change motors. CHeck Arimas owners site for install methods, I don't reccomend cutting holes.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've not installed, but have looked at some info about Baystar, and found a site on the web that details the trials and tribulations of a do-it-yourself install, plus lots of photos. Send me a PM if you want that web address. They installed on a Starcraft.

I do not think the installation is all that difficult, IF you have enough space in the motor/splash well. Arima said the Baystar fits in okay, however, I do not know if Seastar takes more space (I did not ask Arima about Seastar.)

The Teleflex website has a lot of information about Baystar and Seastar, and the space required for installation.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I currently have no feedbck steering on my 130 honda. Over the last year the steering has become not so friendly(hard to steer). I am done with this type of steering and wanting to go with Hydroulic. First off does anyone recommend a certain type,brand,or any options I have no clue about? also has anyone installed it themselves? Thanks for any help you might have:cheers:
I installed the Baystar in my Arima 17 Sea Chaser. I upgraded to the Seastar hoses which were a better quality than the Baystar. I have a Honda 90 and the Baystar works great. Seastar is better with larger motors and the wheel turns fewer turns to get from stop to stop. If I had it to do again I'd probably spend more money for the Seastar but I have been very happy with the Baystar compared to the cable steering like yours that I had originally. I did my own installation in a weekend without assistance. If you decide to do your own installation PM me and I'll share a tip I learned.:meme:

·
Registered
857 Posts
I just Upgraded from cables to a Seastar unit today... works awesome..

But it put a pretty big lump in my wallet at $1700 installed.. Which included removing the old system on my DF140......

I think I should have shopped around, as I found the same unit they charged me $1300 for, on the net for $899 which included all the hoses etc. to install it

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
just curious,

what do you do if the system breaks while you are out on the water? is there some mechanical backup or are you without steering?

EK

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
just curious,

what do you do if the system breaks while you are out on the water? is there some mechanical backup or are you without steering?

EK
Happened to me once, I found a volunteer to move the main motor manually. I had a hydraulic leak but was able to borrow fluid 30 miles out and repair it. (Thanks to BOE) before the bar crossing. The kicker is usually pretty easy to manually steer as well.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you to all for the help in my decision, I will be going with seastar and just got off the phone with a buddy that runs Englund Marine. He also said to go with the seastar. Now I have to break the news to my wife, That might leave a mark. Thanks again!!!:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts