IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a new house, the builder put in a electric forced air furnace(no gas to property) and plumbed in a condenser coil for a heat pump. He ran copper line, control cable, and power to the side of the house. I think I only need to pour a pad and put in the compressor. I can get a Goodman 2.5 ton 13 SEER for around $1300.00 + installation. Any idea if these are good units? Any idea what it would cost to have a tech do the connections?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I imagine the idea is to start the initial heating process with the forced air elec. And then have the heat pump take over and maintain interior temperature...All heat pumps are pretty ineficiant in themselves for raising temp. But arn't bad for maintaining temp be aware this unit will probably run all the time , best to go bigger with heat pumps so they have a chance to cycle less often ... Might be more cost efficient to run the furnace depending on the BTU output . I'm not familiar with this particular unit best to check with consumer reports on efficiantcy... :wave: Barney

·
Registered
495 Posts
Heat Pumps are actually the most efficient heat source available in our area... They will maintain heat well below freezing temps when sized correctly....Much more efficient than a gas furnace. I work HVAC sales, I own a heat pump for my primary source of heat, the gas furnace is my backup and is locked out until it drops below 30 degrees outdoor temp. Be sure to get a good Heat Pump, this will save you a BUNDLE over the course of just a few years.

·
Registered
548 Posts
#1 thing is to make sure that your outdoor unit (heat pump) is matched with that indoor coil that is installed. The efficiency rating (HSPF and SEER ratings) on a heat pump is based on specific coils. If it doesn't match the coil (per ACCA standards) than obviously the efficiency ratings will not be correct. Most manufacturers will not warranty the heat pump if installed with a non-matched coil.

Better do a little homework before you purchase.
-Dave

·
Registered
495 Posts
:agree: Finfansea is right on w/ that! A coil match will make all the difference. Get a few people to give you a bid... you will get more info than you thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts