IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Looking for a little help if anyone has some tips and tricks for me. I’ve been hunting several years unsuccessfully for deer and after taking the last few years off due to life stuff I’m getting back into it. I hunt up around the south lake area here in oregon and I’m having trouble narrowing down the deer. I’m sticking to the thicker woods to get away from other hunters in the area. I have a spot that’s like a 4 mile hike in that ive had several trail cams at and I have pictures of every animal you can think of on them but not a ton of deer. I have some does and 3 small bucks that ive seen on the cams but not many pics of them at all. So I guess I’m looking to see how other people out there hunt big timber and how do you guy narrow down and find the bucks in your area. Any advice out there would be a great help, thanks!

·
Registered
747 Posts
While actually hunting in big timber, go extremely slow. Maybe taking a half hour to go 100 yards. Take a few steps, glass all around you. Stand still and listen for a few minutes. Use your binoculars, even if in thick brush. Take a few more steps and repeat. I have spent over an hour covering less than 2 acres. Find a good sized creek in relatively steep timber and hike up from there until you find a well used trail. Continue up and hunt above the trail. If you aren't finding deer, then re locate.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have a spot that’s like a 4 mile hike in that ive had several trail cams at and I have pictures of every animal you can think of on them but not a ton of deer. I have some does and 3 small bucks that ive seen on the cams but not many pics of them at all.
Besides Tanglewood being spot on. Your trail cameras are scouting or you. Listen to what they have to say. Either be prepared for minimal success at best, or find a new area to hunt. South lake area has been dismal for years.

Owl

Reactions: Bmp003

·
Registered
190 Posts
Move until you find the deer. The trail cams will help you a lot. Hunt burns. Spend lots of time in the field moving slow, and always into the wind. Slower.

Even slower than that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone! Looking for a little help if anyone has some tips and tricks for me. I’ve been hunting several years unsuccessfully for deer and after taking the last few years off due to life stuff I’m getting back into it. I hunt up around the south lake area here in oregon and I’m having trouble narrowing down the deer. I’m sticking to the thicker woods to get away from other hunters in the area. I have a spot that’s like a 4 mile hike in that ive had several trail cams at and I have pictures of every animal you can think of on them but not a ton of deer. I have some does and 3 small bucks that ive seen on the cams but not many pics of them at all. So I guess I’m looking to see how other people out there hunt big timber and how do you guy narrow down and find the bucks in your area. Any advice out there would be a great help, thanks!
I have hunting gear and tips blog

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Hunt the last 5 days or so of the season. If at all possible, hunt when the weather is bad. In the late season, if you see a doe, wait a minute or two and see if she has company - she often will.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Hunt the last 5 days or so of the season. If at all possible, hunt when the weather is bad. In the late season, if you see a doe, wait a minute or two and see if she has company - she often will.
+1 on all counts; excellent advice

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I may have read something wrong but here’s my advise. Trust your cameras. If the animals you want aren’t on them, hunt somewhere else!

-Scott

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I would look for repod as bedding areas and big timber as travel routes. Look at topography, habitat edges and corners, areas out of the wind, feeding areas with sign. Learn what are the few main food sources in that area and where does are hanging out. Hunt the last 5 days of rifle season if you can.

Recommended reading material for the future:

Blacktail Trophy Tactics 2- By Boyd Iverson
Trophy Blacktails: The Science of the Hunt- By Scott Haugen
Mapping Trophy Bucks- By Brad Herndon
Mule Deer: A Handbook for Utah Hunters and Landowners- By Dennis Austin
Mule Deer Strategies: A Handbook of Hunting Techniques- By Walt Prothero
All Weather Whitetails: Forecasting Your Next Hunt of aa Lifetime- Jeff Sturgis
Whitetail Success by Design: Designing Your Next Hunt of a Lifetime- Jeff Sturgis
Mature Buck Success by Design- Jeff Sturgis

Check out all the information on Western Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies (WAFWA) website:
https://www.wafwa.org/committees___groups/mule_deer_working_group/publications/

Also, go to Google Scholar and search for as many research papers on deer that you can. Learning and knowing everything you can about your target species will help your hunting success.

Deer Hunting Tips & Tactics

Treestands & Blinds Podcast

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I would look for repod as bedding areas and big timber as travel routes. Look at topography, habitat edges and corners, areas out of the wind, feeding areas with sign. Learn what are the few main food sources in that area and where does are hanging out. Hunt the last 5 days of rifle season if you can.

Recommended reading material for the future:

Blacktail Trophy Tactics 2- By Boyd Iverson
Trophy Blacktails: The Science of the Hunt- By Scott Haugen
Mapping Trophy Bucks- By Brad Herndon
Mule Deer: A Handbook for Utah Hunters and Landowners- By Dennis Austin
Mule Deer Strategies: A Handbook of Hunting Techniques- By Walt Prothero
All Weather Whitetails: Forecasting Your Next Hunt of aa Lifetime- Jeff Sturgis
Whitetail Success by Design: Designing Your Next Hunt of a Lifetime- Jeff Sturgis
Mature Buck Success by Design- Jeff Sturgis

Check out all the information on Western Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies (WAFWA) website:
https://www.wafwa.org/committees___groups/mule_deer_working_group/publications/

Also, go to Google Scholar and search for as many research papers on deer that you can. Learning and knowing everything you can about your target species will help your hunting success.

Deer Hunting Tips & Tactics

Treestands & Blinds Podcast
Too bad the books tend to be out of print and unavailable. Wait, I see a copy of the Boyd Iverson book available for $15,000.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Topo maps, topo maps, topo maps. Did I mention topography maps yet? Concentrate on benched hillsides where it appears to be steep from the naked eye, unaccesable creek bottoms where theirs only 1 way in 1 way out, and thee most important put all your effort in 3 days before and 3 days after Halloween.

·
Registered
39,682 Posts
Big bucks are on the move around the 24/25th of October and again when the weather is terrible or in the hours just after. Get into an area and stay put, no moving around.

It kinda seems like there is or was a cat or two living in your hunting area....? Or it's just not a good area.

The time to scout and put up trail cams is June and first couple weeks of July. Bucks are out eating most the day during the antler growth period. If you're not seeing them then, they aren't there. That doesn't mean you hunt them where you saw them in June but they will be somewhere in the area where concealment and solitude prevail. Think of hunting Blacktails as letting them come to you, not you going to them. Learn stealth.... seriously. Be invisible, sight and sound.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hunt weather, new moon, late season.
The fire area provide a golden opportunity to see Deer trails that become very obvious. View from an opposite ridge, pick out and map spots where three or more trails come together, slip in and set up downwind in future seasons.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If your only seeing a few deer get out and and start covering ground. You will find blacktail in “pockets” so the idea is is find a few of those you can rotate threw. It is true that the later part of the season can be better however the true secret to blacktails is spending as much of the season out in the woods. If you do that you will find a buck . Persistent pays off.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hunting timber is hard, but a fun experience if you can be patient. Walk extremely slow and use your binoculars often looking for any part of a deer. I usually only hunt timber if it’s raining, the noise of the rain will help with sneaking up on them. The last week is always the best with the bucks starting to rut. My suggestion would be to explore some new areas. I always walk in on locked gates where I know there’s some clearcut’s. I still move very slow and glass often. I have seen at least one buck and multiple does everyday I have hunted this year. Trying to get my 12 year old daughter her first buck, so I’ve been patient with trying to get her a good shot no more than 200 yards.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Don’t try too hard or try to buy your way into harvesting an animal thru trendy gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Too bad the books tend to be out of print and unavailable. Wait, I see a copy of the Boyd Iverson book available for $15,000.
For 15 grand I’ll sell him my copies

That’d fund a last minute cancellation hunt

Or cover the trespass fee on adjoining private

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts