IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife wants to cut them off my 6 year old Vizsla because we have a female pup. I want to not, but would allow a vasectomy. Does anyone know of a vet that does this procedure on dogs?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Brian I’m not sure about a vet that can do a vasectomy that can be reversed. If your worried that you might want to breed your vizsla at some point. My suggestion would be to have his semen frozen. Then fix him. It will usually calm him down some and make him a more pleasant dog all around. If you decide his genes are worth passing on and find the right match for him. You can then do AI. I’m sure you already know to keep his paper work with linage to help with making matches in the future if you choose too. You have a breed of dog that does not have a lot of options with genetic diversity in the US. There are a couple good vets that deal specifically with breeding. The one I deal with in Salem and there are a couple in Portland area depending on what you want to do.

Reactions: BrianMaguire

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe most vets can do that.
Good Luck.
Our vet in Wilsonville says they do not do this procedure. Open to taking him some place else. He is a great hunting dog, really is, I don't want him to loose that drive.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian I’m not sure about a vet that can do a vasectomy that can be reversed. If your worried that you might want to breed your vizsla at some point. My suggestion would be to have his semen frozen. Then fix him. It will usually calm him down some and make him a more pleasant dog all around. If you decide his genes are worth passing on and find the right match for him. You can then do AI. I’m sure you already know to keep his paper work with linage to help with making matches in the future if you choose too. You have a breed of dog that does not have a lot of options with genetic diversity in the US. There are a couple good vets that deal specifically with breeding. The one I deal with in Salem and there are a couple in Portland area depending on what you want to do.
He is a great dog, as a V you don't want to calm them down, run big. I don't want to breed him, he has seizures and bad allergies, but damn he is a good hunting dog. I don't want a couch potato, I wan't my dog just so he does not get his half sister pregnant.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Brian in my experience it won’t! I have had bird dogs and hound dogs. I have hunted with fixed and unfixed dogs. I prefer fixed but you can’t breed fixed. Lol. So I deal with un fixed dogs so I have good dogs for the future. I personal have never seen anybody regret fixing their dog when it comes to hunting. I have had people regret not being able to breed there dog after fixing it. Which after what you said that’s not going to be a problem. Fixing them takes there mind off ass and puts it on whatever you need.
Just fyi my background is in drahthaar and leopard hounds if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
436 Posts
How old is he? There is research to not spay or neuter a working breed until their bones and joints have stopped growing and are totally matured. Depends on the dogs, but a medium sized dog would probably be fully matured by 1.5-2 yrs of age.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You could go this direction. Install a pair of oversized ones for that extra swagger....

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
A few months ago we decided to get Rocky my 7 yo lab as well as his 3 yo son neutered due to some aggressiveness from Rocky towards his son. Well long story short it hasn't changed him a single bit not one. Still a little aggressive and still has spunk and is active. Vet said at this age it is a "learned" thing and chances were that removing his nuts wasn't going to change anything and of course he was right.

·
Registered
41,893 Posts
Brian: He will no lose his drive by neutering. That was established a long time ago at his conception. Vasectomy will not change his desire to breed a hot female and neutering at his age might not eliminate that desire altogether. There is no easy way out of this other than finding a home for one or the other during the females heat cycle.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I love this thread! Get the poor guy a vasectomy! I bet you can find a MD that will do it. Truly giving man's best friend human quality care!

·
Registered
41,893 Posts
JeffP... You are correct but doing so at the wrong time can cause future health problems. Pup should be fully grown and go through at least one heat cycle before doing so. Absolute minimum age would be 5 months after first heat cycle.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
For what its worth. UC Davis did research on Nueter /Spay some years ago. Neutered/ Spayed had a higher incidence of cancer.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I realize it is not possible to have a male dog use a condom, but an oral contraceptive like megestrol acetate for the female dog may be a better solution.
If you are going to use this approach you may wish to do it quickly before the Supreme Court bans the use of contraceptives.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
You could go this direction. Install a pair of oversized ones for that extra swagger....

Do people love looking at their dog's nuts that much? Oh well, to each his own. Who am I to judge?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do people love looking at their dog's nuts that much? Oh well, to each his own. Who am I to judge?
The people that use these on their dogs, probably have a metal ball sack hanging off the back of their lifted 4x4 as well....

• Haha
Reactions: BigGreenDiesel
1 - 20 of 27 Posts