IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Down to one... Ha ha ....
Back to the business. I'm on a list for what should be a great pup. Awesome lines on the female side. It's down to two possible males. Either would be great. Breeding isn't planned for about a year, but Zeus is young so I can wait.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
What are you looking for in a gsp? Big running small frame? Closer working navda dog?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I'm looking for one that doesn't give me the stink eye every time I miss easy shots. My old dog did that to me after he did the heavy lifting finding the birds.

I've only had one bird dog, and I liked when he worked closer. Neither of us were NAVHDA material, his water retrieves were embarrassing. But I would like to dip my toe in the trials with my next dog.

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
I'm looking for one that doesn't give me the stink eye every time I miss easy shots. My old dog did that to me after he did the heavy lifting finding the birds.

I've only had one bird dog, and I liked when he worked closer. Neither of us were NAVHDA material, his water retrieves were embarrassing. But I would like to dip my toe in the trials with my next dog.
Let me ask around, I know several local trials guys.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lots of talk of trials here. Anyone active in hunt tests? Is anyone part of a active retriever club, it’s difficult to find info online, it seems many went quite several years ago. I have heard there is one that meets at sauvies occasionally.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Got a nice Christmas surprise. The breeding for my pup occurred yesterday morning and they plan to repeat on Monday as well. Should be ready late April.

·
Registered
11,135 Posts

My buddy raises awesome Gordon setters..

Not the best water dogs but monsters in the field and quiet as church mice at home.

I've watched his trials dogs run, they're awesome dogs and super easy to train..

My girls have been down socializing puppies a couple hours a week..

I've got feelers out on gsp litters and I'll send you some contact info next week.

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
My buddy raises awesome Gordon setters..

Not the best water dogs but monsters in the field and quiet as church mice at home.

I've watched his trials dogs run, they're awesome dogs and super easy to train..

My girls have been down socializing for hours puppies..

I've got feelers out on gsp litters and I'll send you some contact info next week.

Girls fell in love with this little girl and the buyer backed out. Tom the owner, is a really good friend of mine and offered her to us after debating keeping her himself. I feel like it may have been a trick.

She comes home Friday, name tbd as she their birthday present..

Our adopted Setter got hit by a car in August, so hopefully this will round out our household.

·
Registered
338 Posts
WRO....
Kids with puppies are always a cute photo!

We have been looking into MY first gun dog. The family discussions have started and we have been thinking about Spaniels.
The different types of water Spaniels that are good trail, Hiking dogs.
If only money weren't an issue, Boyken Spaniel , would be my choice. (I think the spelling is wrong)

Im in the mid valley. And Im interested in experiencing some gun dog training for myself.
If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, and or information Please share with me through PM or in a post reply.

Thank you
FGH

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
WRO....

We have been looking into MY first gun dog. The family discussions have started and we have been thinking about Spaniels.
If only money weren't an issue, Boyken Spaniel , would be my choice. (I think the spelling is wrong)

Im in the mid valley. And Im interested in experiencing some gun dog training for myself.
If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, and or information Please share with me through PM or in a post reply.

Thank you
FGH
What's your goal for a hunting dog? Waterfowl, Versatile, strictly upland? Flusher or pointer?

I have a couple friend with bone point dogs that are pretty good waterfowl and pointing dogs.

·
Registered
338 Posts
WRO...
Thank you for your reply.

Im mainly interested in A Duck Dog.
But if given the chance Ive got Access to upland bird country on the east side.

Also the Public Fee Pheasants hunting is nearby here in the Mid Valley.

The smaller the dog ,Probably the better for the family scene.
Also a good trail , hiking dog.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
WRO....

Thank you
FGH
I'm on my second Springer/Lab pair and they match up well together. I really like hunting with both dogs as they tend to hunt in totally different ways.
A couple of things about the springers:
They deal well with extremely cold temps (ie single digits and below) wet or dry.
They're a bit thinner skinned then a lab and a bit more sensitive to cuts/abrasions. Never been an issue but something to be aware of.
They're a GREAT flushing dog. Think of a dog on ADHD...Oh bird...Oh bee...Oh...Oh...Oh. They do a great job of covering country and getting into the deep brush.
Their coats can and will get long so they attract all sorts of stickers and other stuff when you're hunting.
Although Springers (and I'm sure other spaniels) are fairly common dogs that are from true hunting lines are much less so. There's a large number of breeders that sell 'field spaniels' that more often then not haven't hunted in generations. I flew to Eastern MT to buy my current pup and I don't regret it a bit. I got some recommendations from our local spaniel club and that was helpful on tracking down the few breeders. PM me if you'd like their list
Springers do love water and retrieving.
Springers are easy to please and train. Plus they make wonderful family dogs. They're ALWAYS happy.

My last one lived until 12.5 (which is fairly young) but died within three weeks of the lab (14.5). They obviously had a very close bond.
Dog Snow Carnivore Dog breed Pont-audemer spaniel

Sky Dog Carnivore Gun dog Dog breed

The current pair. Springer is about 3.5 months and the lab is about 8 weeks.
Dog Carnivore Liver Dog breed Fawn
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Spaniel

·
Registered
11,135 Posts
WRO...
Thank you for your reply.

Im mainly interested in A Duck Dog.
But if given the chance Ive got Access to upland bird country on the east side.

Also the Public Fee Pheasants hunting is nearby here in the Mid Valley.

The smaller the dog ,Probably the better for the family scene.
Also a good trail , hiking dog.

Thank you again.
Small munsterlander should be on your list.

I highly recommend a reputable breeder as genetic issues later on in life are heartbreaking and cost way more than the initial investment..

21 - 40 of 47 Posts