IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
40,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those looking at getting a new pup in the spring, now is the time to get the ball rolling. Good litters are sold before the female is bred and if you don't get in line early, you lose. A year in advance isn't too soon.

Good luck to all of you.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
For those looking at getting a new pup in the spring, now is the time to get the ball rolling. Good litters are sold before the female is bred and if you don't get in line early, you lose. A year in advance isn't too soon.

Good luck to all of you.
Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I put my deposit down on my lab in March and I'm picking him up on January 2nd. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait as my last lab from this breeder lived 14.5 years and was a great bird dog/companion.
My springer was much easier but I had to travel to MT to pick him up. Put a deposit down in August and picked him up in mid November. Hard to find good springer breeders on the West coast

·
Registered
11,138 Posts

Pretty good puppy litter info group on Facebook. if the links doesn't work, just search the group below.

Field Trial /Hunt Test/Gun Dogs & Puppies

Granted most are worthless dogs that don't point that are advertised on there. :)

• Haha
Reactions: DogZilla15

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have the green light from the wife. And my kids are begging me. I'm ready and have put out some feelers. If anyone has a reputable GSP breeder in the area, please PM me.

I stopped by one of my pheasant spots a couple weeks ago. First time I was back there since I put my dog down and had a flood of good memories of hunting with him.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a spot held for my pup! Very excited for my first hunting buddy. I am going to train myself and join a local HRC. The dog is coming from a very highly titled pedigree with excellent health testing. Will have him late spring if all goes as planned.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have a spot held for my pup! Very excited for my first hunting buddy. I am going to train myself and join a local HRC. The dog is coming from a very highly titled pedigree with excellent health testing. Will have him late spring if all goes as planned.
There is an adage in the dog world (at least among those that compete with our dogs) that 'You always ruin your first dog'. As a word of encouragement, this isn't true. 'Some people' ruin their first dog. I'm going to give you some unsolicited advice. Talk to your breeder, and get some names of trainers. I'm not talking about training your dog for you, I'm talking about some guidance on 'how to train your dog'. A good trainer will train you to train your dog--and there is no substitute for one-on-one in how to do that. It can't be done on the internet, you need personal guidance, because every dog is different, and a good trainer will be able to help you train your dog and train you, no matter what those differences are. You'll spend some money, but you'll learn from your trainer and from your dog. The most rewarding part of dog training is how much you do learn from your dog, and your first working dog will teach you more than you can ever imagine. Love your dog, and in return, your dog will give you his all. There is no other creature in the world like a dog.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is an adage in the dog world (at least among those that compete with our dogs) that 'You always ruin your first dog'. As a word of encouragement, this isn't true. 'Some people' ruin their first dog. I'm going to give you some unsolicited advice. Talk to your breeder, and get some names of trainers. I'm not talking about training your dog for you, I'm talking about some guidance on 'how to train your dog'. A good trainer will train you to train your dog--and there is no substitute for one-on-one in how to do that. It can't be done on the internet, you need personal guidance, because every dog is different, and a good trainer will be able to help you train your dog and train you, no matter what those differences are. You'll spend some money, but you'll learn from your trainer and from your dog. The most rewarding part of dog training is how much you do learn from your dog, and your first working dog will teach you more than you can ever imagine. Love your dog, and in return, your dog will give you his all. There is no other creature in the world like a dog.
I really appreciate your advice. I have built a really solid relationship with the breeder, who is also a professional gun dog trainer. He has been a ton of help. Though this will be my first hunting dog it’s not my first dog. I lost my best bud earlier this year, far to early, because he had very aggressive cancer. He taught a a million and one valuable lessons, had exceptional obedience and a very loving demeanor.

Part of the reason I want to join a local HRC is to find experienced locals who have the same vision of a hunting companion as I and who have worked through the process before.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
I have the green light from the wife. And my kids are begging me. I'm ready and have put out some feelers. If anyone has a reputable GSP breeder in the area, please PM me.

I stopped by one of my pheasant spots a couple weeks ago. First time I was back there since I put my dog down and had a flood of good memories of hunting with him.
What are you looking for in a gsp? Big running small frame? Closer working navda dog?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I really appreciate your advice. I have built a really solid relationship with the breeder, who is also a professional gun dog trainer. He has been a ton of help. Though this will be my first hunting dog it’s not my first dog. I lost my best bud earlier this year, far to early, because he had very aggressive cancer. He taught a a million and one valuable lessons, had exceptional obedience and a very loving demeanor.

Part of the reason I want to join a local HRC is to find experienced locals who have the same vision of a hunting companion as I and who have worked through the process before.
Every dog is different. Even among the litter, the dogs work and think on their own track, but if you have the genes from the breeding lined up every dog will work out, though it requires a bit of luck. Go to some seminars, if you can find them, but don't take every trainers word as gospel. Pick what you like from each and discard what you don't, or what you try and doesn't work with your dog--never forget that every dog is different. Eventually, you can get your own 'style' and people will be coming to you for advice :). I lay awake nights and think about what went well with my dog that day, and what didn't, and how I messed up, which is most likely the reason that my dog messed up. It isn't always my fault, but most of it is......Sometimes I need to go to somebody to help me fix something that I've screwed up and sometimes I can figure it out myself. It really helps to become part of a group that can give some advice--but always remember that every dog is different and what worked for someone else might night work for you. Have fun, because a friend described training as a 'journey that last a lifetime, and the important part is the journey, not how it ends'. So true. Everybody--hug your dogs.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Threemuch, some good yellow litters on RTF and probably EE ( Entry Express)
For good GSP check with Sauvie Island Kennels if Tim is still breeding or may know of. Probably wider ranging. I was in NAVHDA in the 70's then went to AA and wide shooting dog field trials with my GSPs. Then came Labs. I train, hunt, and trial my Labs.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Howard Meyer is the president of the WV NAVHDA chapter. He breeds GSPs under the name Chippewa Kennel in Corvallis. He seems like a good trainer and has helped me a lot. I’m sure his dogs are fine but don’t know.
Howard has produced some great dogs over the years. I am not sure if he is still breeding dogs though. I heard that he may have retired. I may be wrong though. Here's his website (it's pretty outdated):

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I believe he was still breeding when I was at his house earlier this year but never really asked for sure. We had a chapter first aid thing out there.

·
Registered
40,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven't seen Tim in a while but he was breeding, training, trialing EP's at the time.

Always liked Howard but I hear getting a pup from him is quite a task.. Not a fun experience according to others. I'll leave it at that as I've never dealt with him in that respect.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Haven't seen Tim in a while but he was breeding, training, trialing EP's at the time.

Always liked Howard but I hear getting a pup from him is quite a task.. Not a fun experience according to others. I'll leave it at that as I've never dealt with him in that respect.
Dog, I know GWP breeder that's the same way. Lol. You and talked about that... :LOL:

·
Registered
40,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, we did... It really is kind of common but some are tougher to deal with than others. Kinda depends on what kind of mood you catch them in at the time. Got a text from him about a week ago. He wanted to give me a dog.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Yup, we did... It really is kind of common but some are tougher to deal with than others. Kinda depends on what kind of mood you catch them in at the time. Got a text from him about a week ago. He wanted to give me a dog.
All true.

Did you say yes? You're down to one now.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts