IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two boys who would love to start hunting this fall, but I haven't found a Hunter's Ed Field Day near Portland (within a 1-hour drive). And I've been looking for months. There are plenty of gun ranges in this area, but it seems ODFW is not scheduling many Field Day events in this area. The few events near Portland that were scheduled filled up quickly.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'd be more flexible with your driving distance. It's one day. It represents years of hunting for your boys. I'd adjust my priorities a bit. I checked the list .. there are days with openings scheduled.

Reactions: loper

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Keep checking the website. I was about to drive 130 miles for a March session. Then a new session popped up at EE Wilson. Give Myrna a call. She's the one that told me about the closer class before it was posted online and she is the coordinator.

Myrna Britton
503-947-6028
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
We need more volunteer instructors. The crew that ran the clinic my son just participated with said that they are all volunteers, probably the youngest instructors you'll have in Oregon...and many of them were going to hang it up after this season.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be more flexible with your driving distance. It's one day. It represents years of hunting for your boys. I'd adjust my priorities a bit. I checked the list .. there are days with openings scheduled.
It's not priorities; it's health. Driving more than an hour triggers my migraines.

In my view, if ODFW is going to require this class, they have an obligation to make classes available. Seems they're not doing that for folks in the Portland area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep checking the website. I was about to drive 130 miles for a March session. Then a new session popped up at EE Wilson. Give Myrna a call. She's the one that told me about the closer class before it was posted online and she is the coordinator.

Myrna Britton
503-947-6028
[email protected]
Thanks for the tip. I actually reached out to Myrna in April and the nearest class she could recommend was in Shedd, about 1.5 hrs away. I might ping her again to see if anything closer might open soon.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
My kids needed to do one near Salem. Not actually a bad thing for us since we live outside Wilsonville.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Myrna Britton at ODFW just let me know about a field day in Eagle Creek that is just now being posted. It's not yet listed on the website, but youth can purchase a spot through their ODFW account. May 23rd and May 25th from 6pm to 9pm. I was able to get my boys registered.

Thanks ifishers for the helpful tips!!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
We need more volunteer instructors. The crew that ran the clinic my son just participated with said that they are all volunteers, probably the youngest instructors you'll have in Oregon...and many of them were going to hang it up after this season.
Unless something has changed since I was an instructor, it is always all volunteer. ODFW doesn't actually teach the classes, they're done through a volunteer group "United Hunters and Sportsmen." ODFW has to approve of the curriculum and materials but they don't actually deliver the training.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
A major issue going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Unless something has changed since I was an instructor, it is always all volunteer. ODFW doesn't actually teach the classes, they're done through a volunteer group "United Hunters and Sportsmen." ODFW has to approve of the curriculum and materials but they don't actually deliver the training.
Yes, you are correct. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant to say, "More volunteers are needed to run the classes." and "...many of the current volunteers are ready to retire."

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Nevada probably still has 100% online courses. I would check that out. A card from any state is honored nationwide.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts