IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Idaho recently and they have a program where you can purchase a yearly fishing license and also purchase a license to fish with an extra rod for an additional cost of around $13.00. I think it would be great to fish with 2 rods per angler ( a little hectic though!). The extra money could go to Fish and Wildlife and hatcheries. What a deal!!!!!
What does everyone else think? How could we go about this?

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Hooker,it would be the largest single revenue generating move the ODFW ever embraced. The only thing they would have to do is change the regs,then collect the money. Many states already allow this,so why not? The extra money would have to be ear marked for ODFW use only,no going into the general fund.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the ODFW/WDFW would need to change the regs, but not many. Keep the limits exactly where they are. This would be a freebe for them! You are exactly correct Freespool, they would make killing off of this.....if the money went to them.

Good fishing! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Personaly I think it would shorten our already too short seasons. Maybe in a few select fisheries.

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
:cheers: I personally this it would be great more money for odfw and it would cost then nothing but the cost of changing the regs on paper. maybe they could do like California dose and limit the waters you could use it on or the species’ of fish you can fish with two rods that way small fry’s fear of a shortened season for some fish would not be as short I know i would love to be out trout fishing and be able to throw a fly to trout I see swimming buy as I am out plunking with my other rod it would be nice. But I know there are those out there that are against it

·
Registered
551 Posts
In CA, you can buy a second rod stamp (goes on your fishing license), it is about $8. You can only have a second rod on lakes and reservoirs, no river fishing with a second rod.

Not only does it bring in a bunch of money for the state, it is nice to be able to experiment with one lure, and still have the old confidence lure in the water. A second rod also allows me to fish at different depths with the downrigger.

I usually have two of us in the boat, with 4 rods out. It is very fun when two rods light up..."you get the net," "no, YOU get the net, mine is bigger." "Its my boat, you get the net!"
You get the picture. It is very hard to net someone elses fish while playing your own.

On one occasion, we had 3 rods go down. My buddy grabbed his rod, and I grabbed both of my rods. That was a mistake. I had never thought of it before, but I found out that if you hold two rods, you cannot reel in either one. I had to stand there and try to feel which fish was bigger. It was not easy because my buddy kept yelling "GET THE NET!"

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
It would be twice as depressing if you got skunked fishing two rods. :grin: I don't know if I could handle that.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
If this discussion goes very far at all you will see that this is a very polarized issue and is another of those purist /ethicalist issues. I personally feel that it would be to our advantage to do this. in no way would it shorten current seasons because we already have limits in place to contend with that and harvest rules don't change... I don't care how many ways you twist this issue it is still one legal sturgeon per day and 2-3 salmon kept per day! The sooner my card is full the sooner you can have my water...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm see a lot of people now fishing with an extra rod. The way I see it, anchor fishing is mostly a put in your time fishery. One 6 hour day, w/one
rod =6 hours fishing, two rods 6 hour day =12hours fishing. Wow, do I understand math!
Anyway it would be a new challange for sure.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm all for buying a second rod tag. Then we could buy twice as many lures. OH BOY!!!

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I'd like to see this put in. I know that I'd pay and extra $13 for another rod. A couple of questions though:

What do you do if your fishing alone, two rods and one does hit a fish? Try setting the hook, fighting the fish, releasing anchor, starting your kicker, and reeling in your extra rod all at the same time (is that possible?). Kinda sounds fun to me, more craziness to the already hectic chinese fire drill of today, I like it.

If I had my license and an extra one, could I take someone fishing without a license and let them use that pole? If we got checked, couldn't I just say they were "just watching" or something? Or can they fight the fish to the boat, then pass the rod to me and let me land and tag it? Technically it is legal to fight a fish to the bank, pass off the rod to your buddy, you net it, and they can tag it because they landed it.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I can tell you fishing with my wife and kids that it is nice to try out different lures or baits that you usually dont try... I have found some real winners that way.

As far as fishing two pole by myself I dont think so... could you imagine trying to reel one in while fighting a fish... what a pain!

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I think that would excellant in certain situations, like if you were on the bank of a nice lake or something like that you could have one loaded with bait while you throw a lure. sounds good to me. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
:cheers: you could do springers and shad at once. or imagine this.. mooching halibut at the pile at 200 ft while trolling a cut plug at 20 pulls. . for coho and nooks.. :dance:

endless possibilities....

·
Registered
418 Posts

I still have a hard time fishing with 1 Rod, He's always drinking my beer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In Idaho the two pole permit is not valid for Salmon or Steelhead. The only time I fish with two is when I am bass fishing, the second rod is out the back with a crappie jig on it.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I like the revenue generation idea of it, and like most of you, don't see much impact on the limits or seasons, but....

How would the state go about enforcing it? You know there would be a lot of guys who would fish the second rod without buying the extra license. It would be impossible to check every boat.

Skein

·
Registered
342 Posts
I fish for sqaw fish on occasion and would like the option to fish with two rods alot of people do allready, but if your caught they will kick you out of the program.It doesn't make much sense since they are paying you to catch them (the more the better) right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts