IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going out in the ocean on a charter trip and I want to use my own gear. I would like to know if anyone has used alvins out in the ocean with any success? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If you are going on a good charter, why would you want to use your own gear? Use what they have and learn.

If you are hell-bent, take an alvin along and use it if you are getting skunked or have your limit. Heck, people are catching salmon this year on tin foil and bare hooks. I can't see why an alvin wouldn't work too.

Otherwise, the charter are pro's using their expertise to fill your cooler. Let them.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I don't see why Alvins wouldn't work but I would take a long some coyote spoons in the 3.5 inch length. Blue/Silver with fish scales and the Green/White with a little blade on the hook have been red hot in my boat lately. I have put over 30 salmon to my boat in the last 3 trips out of Newport using those spoons. Four of them being chinook that were between 20 and 32 pounds. I used to only fish bait but I am sold on those spoons now. Good luck...

[ 07-29-2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

·
Registered
515 Posts
i've seen them used at the mouth of the nehalem, sure looked like nooks on the end of the line, but still can't beat good bait. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I've caught somewhere between 30 and 40 chinook on alvins on the ocean so far
this year. My two favorites are the silver with a yellow head and the 1/2 silver,
1/2 brass. They DO catch fish (IMHO).

-assAssin-

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The alvin wasn't made for river chinook fishing. It was actually sold for years as a trolling wobbler for commercial chinook fisherman. Does it work out there? The answer would have to be yes.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I was out one day and kept getting tripped but with no damage to my herring !?! Happened several times before I got to looking at things and found teeth marks all over my 00 dodger !!! Thought about sticking hooks on there and ditching the herring and hootchies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts