IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few people email me asking how we rig sandshrimp for the esturary and this is how we do it. I am sure that there are a lot of ways to do it but this seems to work well for us. :grin:

First select a large sand shrimp. It helps if you do not use snelled tied hooks. We used one for this example because the leader was already tied but a snelled hook rips up the bait more when you are threading it.

Next take the sand shrimp and thread the hook through the anus and out the head.

Pull on the tail running it over the eye of the hook and up the leader like this leaving the point of the hook exposed.

Now we take another sand shrimp and stack it on the first. Some times we will stack two more on the first. As your bait gets picked apart you can stack more shrimp on the husks of old ones using this method. The more scent the better!

Next take your stretchy thread and wrap the stacked sand shrimp to the one that is threaded. I like to use Ghost Cacoon thread because you dont have to half-hitch it to secure. You just break it off after a few wraps because the stuff stiks to itself.

Final step after your shimp are stacked is adding your favorite scent. We are partial to carrot milk. We also inject our shrimp with scent.

Thanks to XTC for demonstrating as I took the pictures. Good luck out there everyone I hope you catch a big one :cheers:

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Thanks for the picts!!

·
Administrator
119,611 Posts
Nice demo!

We just put the hook through the lower part of the body, (no threader, just slide it through) then put a couple half hitches on the head of the shrimp, with the dacron...

Simplicity... works for me! (I just hate those threaders!)

Jen

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Thanks 5 cents and XTC. A good alternative to the snelled leader is a knotless leader made up by Get Bent Tackles Scott Silagy. Shoot him an email and he will either sell you some or sell you the tool to make your own. It worked great for us a couple weeks ago. Just an addition to your post. Thanks again guys.

[ 06-01-2003, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: steelheadslayer ]

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Actual pictures of carrot milk application, I didn't think you would do it.

Good pics and instructions, Mr. 5 Cents!

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ZaQ :laugh: Mr. 5-Cents :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for the lesson.
I saw you guys at the swap meet saturday morning, was going to thank you all for the numerous reports you post, but i got side tracked. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts