IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you rig a anchovie for sturgeon? I have tryed a couple of times and they were to soft, and I could not keep them on the hook. Help!
thank you Damoperator

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I rig it just like a smelt but with half the leader lenght. I use a 4/0 hook stuck through the base of the head. Stick the point back through the lips and expose the hook on the top of the head. I then half hitch it up and make my last half hitch tight on the tail to prevent spinning.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using fresh anchovies? I tryed this with frozen ones and they fell of the hook. Thank you for the help Damoperator A thought can you harden them up with a brine like hering?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Tacklebuster is exactly right. WE do it exactly the same way and make sure you do the last one like he said on the tail to prevent spinning. I would recommend fresh bait as well.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Thanks again Tacklebuster; The half hitch on the tail is key! :cheers: Makes the difference between a good presentation and a tangled mess :wink:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I use a bait threader and have the hook point sticking out of the mouth with the leader coming ou the anus I have room for about 3 half-hitches at the top. Like TB said make the last one tight. Then I like to wrap the bait with Ghost Cocoon stretchy thread this helps keep the bait flat and helps keep it on the hook/leader. I like using the GC brand because it is clear and can be secured without any half-hitches. Wrapping the bait also helps to when the sculpins are trying to steal your bait. Lastly it really hepls to use fresh anchovies in the estuary.

:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts