IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Zipper: I just spread the SH down to the chine on the sides. On the bow I spread the SH to the area where Bob stopped polishing(Have to get on hands and knees to see this area). I wouldn't worry about the bottom, I don't tend to get any growth there, and no one sees it. What you should be checking out is, can you work between your trailer fenders and the side of the boat. You will see a long handled painters pad in one of my pics, that is how I spread the SH onto the side of the boat where the fenders don't give you much room to work.

Hottamale1: If you send me a private message I believe I can give you the contact info.

· Registered
2,445 Posts
Red,

Hauled the boat out today. Interesting. Where Bob polished was good. There was a water line but not much and above and below it where Bob polished was clear. Interestingly, the under water part was the cleanest.

The algae was building in the chine on down.

On the bottom, Bob had polished the nose of the boat all the way to the bottom. That had no growth. There was a line with growth starting from where Bob's polish stopped and back.

It looked like the parts of the hull that were never polished provided an area for growth.

So...I'm thinking:

1. Do bottom (chine and down, bow to stern) with Shark Hide.

2. High gloss polish chine and up, bow to stern.

Trick will be moving the boat to get at the support spots.

Brion

· Registered
2,445 Posts
UG,

Boats that are "too" shiny and pretty don't catch as many fish!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Ah...that's the Larry Page theory. I freaked out in Larry's boat last month and started cleaning it (it was a slow day and he'd been bailing fish last couple days...stuff all over). We got a fish as I was in the middle of cleaning...a statement by the fish I think <grin>.

Got mine polished and did pretty good on the Springers and some big Summers. My theory is a clean boat catches more fish. I was scrubbing my boat with a brush one day while anchored. Got two fish. Next day, a couple guys pull up next to me and anchor...and start kidding me about cleaning the boat the day before...they didn't get any up above but saw me flailing around with the net and the brush.

And if we are not catching fish...we can at least look mahvelous.

Actually, I'd think a shiny botton and sides would look like the sky to a fish vs. a black bottom overhead. I was thinking about white bottom paint.

Brion

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I know, you want a lightbar/radar arch/wakeboard cage don't you. BTW, nice design drawings for your rails. Are you an engineer
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Not an engineer, a surveyor, and yes I'm looking for an arch like yours. I want to use it for rod holder as well as the other stuff.

Under the carport I have about 2" clearance above my boat with the canvas up. The arch will have to fold back or come off to clear so it may take some design change.

If you would post or e-mail the manufacturer I would owe you. Thanks.

· Registered
361 Posts
Corkyking,

I planned all along to use my boat for fishing, and family fun. Therefore, I had Tjet build my tower (my kids wakeboard), and build it into the boat during initial construction. I also had them install some driving/fog lamps on the top of the bar. I can tell you that this was a first for them. They had built light bars for police and radar arches, but never a tower designed to tow the load of a wakeboarder, and fold down to get in a garage. I think they did a nice job on the lines, and it is very stout. I believe it is 1 1/4 inch brushed aluninum tubing. Next week I can take some detailed pics of the tower and fittings, and post them. There have been several other ifishers e-mail me about the tower since your thread started. I'm sure your boat guy can build whatever you want.

· Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Red,
Thanks, I'll be waiting anxiously.

I also did some noise reduction experimenting (something that Alumaweld could have done)and was reasonably sucessful. I'll post when I get some pictures.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.