IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until recently I have had the fortune of putting my crawdads in a springfed pond until I needed them. Now I dont have the luxury . Any ideas how to keep them alive like say in a kid size pool......?????? Especially with the warmeer temperatures.

John

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
When I was a kid we didnt do anything special, maybe make sure the kiddy pool is in the shade and possibly put an aquarium air stone in it. What ya using crawdads for? Summer Steelhead bait or cajun dinners?

UG

[ 07-06-2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
UG, you might have had an "r" in there instead of a "p"?? :whazzup: "Rump" doesn't seem like an obscenity...

Like UG said, I used an airpump to make a jury-rigged livewell.
A friend of mine swears up and down that feeding them Krust-eaz cornmeal fattens them up and makes them taste better. I've never had a crawdad that tasted bad in the first place, though. :cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
My brother who lives in Texas has a couple of crawdads in his fish tank that is outfitted with a simple filter and pump. I wonder how many crawdads could live in a 50 gallon tank?

·
Registered
550 Posts
If keeping crayfish in a container, get a hotdog and cut it into a few pieces. Run a nail through each piece so it will sink to the bottom. The crayfish will eat them up, and the hotdogs dont foul the water like chunkbait does.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Im guessing it was an "I" replacing the "U" in "pump" which alerted the electronic Ms Manners.

Kiddie pool works great but if you intend to leave them in there a while, leave a hose barely running (well water is best at a trickle) to cool the water, and flush waste. treat it as you would a fish tank. a somewhat shaded area is a must. Ive kept a bunch for as long as a month, but did notice a difference in taste with ones cooked directly out of the river. Someone told me a few good slimy rocks from the river gets the proper bacteria growing. and you gotta feed em but dont let the food rot in the water too long.

[ 07-07-2003, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
We were up at Timothy lake this weekend and with 2 traps, some shad, and 2 days got 184 dads. We put them in a bucket and left if about 1/2 in the water; it kept them cool and alive.

Why do you want to keep something like this alive..looks tasty :grin:

This is the first 60 that would fit in out pot. Took 3 batches to boil all these, but 4 of us finished them off in 1 night.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Fish-on, The Oregon taste bud association requires, no, DEMANDS me to be present on such occasion when 184 (give or take) dads are being consumed. Be advised that I will require the exact location of your next dad-boil, and will happily bring my liquid license for inspection and approval.

A public service announcement brought to you by "Crawdad addicts of America" A wholely owned subsidiary of COTR incorporated.

[ 07-07-2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
We like to use salt and old bay seasoning, boil them for about 10-15min after the water comes back to a boil, then cool them off real well.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I bought an aquarium pump and a stone. Filled the container with 4 inches of water and they are doing nicely. They do like hot dogs. I plan on using these on summers, If I get an extra hundred or so who would be up for a crawfish feed at my place???????? In say a week or so.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Originally posted by cirrhosis-of-the-river:
[QB] Fish-on, The Oregon taste bud association requires, no, DEMANDS me to be present on such occasion when 184 (give or take) dads are being consumed. Be advised that I will require the exact location of your next dad-boil, and will happily bring my liquid license for inspection and approval.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">No problem, make you a deal show me how to catch those ugly fish off the rocks and I'll cut you in on the next crawdad fry. :dance:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I use my fish tank and the only problem that I have had was the crawfish eat my fish!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If you have cats in the neighborhood, and you're putting them in a kiddy pool, make sure it's high enough to keep the cats out, or else it becomes a "kitty" pool, and they'll eat the crawdads. I've had it happen.

happybrew

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've never HAD crawdads but I guess they exist at Diamond lake so I'll give it a try...but how do you prepare them? ie. How long do you boil them...what kind of spices do you use in the water?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts