IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday last week we had this 500 lb sea lion hanging around us all morning. He came up in back of my boat one time and spit and hissed at me. So I bonked him on the head with a 4oz weight. Hoping he might leave. Well this turned out to be a bad idea. He got even later when I had a big fish on and was about ready to net the beast when sammy sea lion came up and stole my fish. That wasn't bad enough he also got my best kwick fish. Then just to flip us the fin he swam around in back of my boat for 10 minutes playing with his new toy the fish. He did however have Mr killer attached to his lower jaw. Has anyone else had a fish taken this way upriver? I did manage to land a nice 12# hen which we landed very quickly.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've not had the sea lion issue, however back home, we have had problems with snapper turtles feeling compelled to eat the fish on a stringer...

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Two years ago I lost a small sprnger to a sea lion. My plug went away too. About 20 minutes later another fisherman found my plug floating below me and retuned it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Plugcut, I was at the other end of the hogline you were in. Boy did you look angry(mad) when you pulled back in line! That looked like a nice fish too. At least you boated a fish, we went home empty-handed.

(language-cb)

[ 04-09-2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
FYI - Last year at Bonneville 2 guys were videotaped by OSP throing rocks at sealions and issued $5000 citations each. Not a joke, I asked OSP at the dam about it and they were quite proud of their law enforcement efforts in this case.

Not that I have any sympthy for the sealions or similar crittters, just wouldn't be bragging about bonking 4 oz weights of their heads in a public forum.

UG

·
Registered
167 Posts
Never had a sea lion get any of my fish but I have had them close when had one on. I was told a long time ago that when one is close get your rod tip underwater and float way off. Either it works or I have been awfull lucky.

GWB

·
Registered
22,377 Posts
Dang, I thought this thread was going to be about someones mother in law.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Dang, I thought this thread was going to be about someones mother in law.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Holy Cow C&E, I was laughing for 5 minutes straight!!!!! Now THAT was funny!!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Maybe not 5 minutes, but it felt like it! My stomach hurts from laughing!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had a pilot whale grab a salmon I was fighting, spooled me almost quicker than I could cut the line. I was upset about losing the salmon, though it wasn't something I will soon forget. :shocked:

·
Registered
35 Posts
a good way to offend a sea lion is to carry a 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 candle power light with you. when they come for your salmon, hit e'm with the light in the eyes. they hate that. has worked in the past.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.