IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just cam home from bass fishing with a bass plug hanging from his arm I thought I new how to get it out but it did`nt work he is now on the way to the hospital I hope he will talk to me again after I tried my removing hook method on him

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
that is tuff to do when it is sunk in and you cant push it through

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to go to urgent care if it isn't easy to pull out. Method one: push the point through and crimp or clip the barb. Method two: Loop some line through the bend of the hook to pull it straight back while pushing gently against the hook to prevent the barb from catching as much as possible. Avoid causing additional injury.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
This happened to me once. I got a big old treble hook stuck in my head. Couldn't get it out myself. It was rather embarrassing. Especially when I go to the emergency room with a big old spinner hanging from my head, and the person at the front desk says "Is there something I can do for you?" Well duh!!! Like I always go around with a large fishing lure stuck in my head!
It looked absolutely ridiculous! Yeah, if it doesn't come out easily, you should see a doctor. Also, check to see if your tetanus vaccination is up to date. It would suck to get tetanus.

happybrew

G

·
If it isn't protruding out the other side, push the hook away from the shank so the barb catches less meat and back it out. Clean and flush with antiseptic and keep covered until you get home or the hospital.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
From experience, you need to push the eye down firmly with the hook inverted, then loop the line around the bend and pull out, not up, while constantly applying downward pressure on the eye. This makes the barb follow the same path out as it took coming in. Get the loop as close to the barb as you can. The hook point will leave the skin before the eye loses contact with the skin.

This process should only be attempted in the absence of nearby professional assistance or if the bite is on.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Don't forget to apply liberal doses of tequila. :smile:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
For several years when in med school and working the ER I removed hooks. Man, I was so cool. I even got used to carrying lidocaine syringes on the river and became the "go to" guy for hook retrieval.

Then one fine day I got a spinner hook buried in my hand. All that training and cool experience went ut the window. I cut off the plug, then went home and drank nearly a fifth of JD. Then I proceeded to spend the next 4 hours worrying a hook out of my hand.

All that cool expertise didn't mean much when the hook was in my hand!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I went barbless a long time ago because of this. I was unhooking a plug caught winter steele when it started thrashing around really violently, well it came unhooked by buring the treble in my left hand. After much thought and studying the situation as if I could work it thru or back it out, there was really one way to correct this problem, pull it out fast and hard. I grabbed the hook firmly with pliers and held my breath & let her fly. OUCH!!! It bled and hurt but after soaking it in the 40 degree water for a while, all it did is throb in a numb sort of way, so I decided that barbless may be the best way to go for me.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I have to hand it to you guys who can extract a hook out of yourself. :bowdown: You're a heck of a lot tougher than me!!! I've got a lot of injuries in my years as a carpenter, but nothing compared to the time I buried a hook in my finger and tried to pull it out myself. I thought I was going to pass out.

How to extract a hook?? Go to the ER!!

G

·
Woody,
I have a nice hardwood fish wacker I'll use on you if you get a circle hook in your hand when we're out chasing butts in a few weeks :grin:

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
have a nice hardwood fish wacker I'll use on you if you get a circle hook in your hand when we're out chasing butts in a few weeks
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Yup, just knock me out. Just make sure and fill my tag so I don't wake up with a lump on my head, a hole in my hand and no fish.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
i've actually pushed the stinking hook out a second hole to get it out of my hand before.. kinda hurts.. but cheaper then a er bill.. After I pushed it through some good cuters and I was done..

·
Registered
140 Posts
SO we were in Mexico lest week. An hour and a half boat ride out, and Walt sticks a 7o hook into his hand. No ER ; HOT bite. Lots of COronas 3 guys and the leader trick, and Walt's back to bonkin yellowtail in less than half an hour.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I saw a guide get 1 barb on a hotshot treble get buried in the base of his thumb. They had netted a jack and the fish exploded in the net as the guide tried to get the hook out of the net.
One of his clients was a doctor (heard this part of the story a few weeks later) and the doc darn near passed out :shocked: trying to get that hook out of the guide. He had to quit early and head for the hospital that day! :grin:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
The method that Pete (2nd) and Crabbait mention does work. I read about it in F and H news with drawings. Used it on my Brother at buoy 10. One minute it's take me to the hospital, the next it's get the lines in the water!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I fished with a friend and his boy this past Saturday. Andrew...7 yrs old..is learning how to cast with a spinning reel...still trying to figure out the best time to release the line from his grip. After having his gear fly behind me...then right in front of me, I decided to move..about 20 feet farther away from him. Then with a big splash I see the line is about 7 inches to the right of my right leg...and then YEOW! Hook buried in my right calf...son of a B^%$&# that hurt....and now the process of getting it out of my leg while Andrew is walking towards me pulling and jerking on the rod...I grab the line...bite it and now I'm somewhat free.... I did what was noted on this thread...grabbed the hook eye with my needle nose pliars and started to push it through ...once I got the barb past the outer edge of the skin...I clipped the eye off and grabbed the point with the pliars and it came right out...It left a mark but I didn't have to get off the water or head to the ER.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
reminds me of a story. I was up in Canada pike fishing with buddies. Deep in the bush. My friend goes to cast this big plug over his back and somehow nails himself, square in the back. two deeply imbedded hooks. no where near help, so we give him liquor, pour some on the wound, and go to work with a fillet knife. God he cursed us out!! Two dull filets knives, figures. Took some time but we got them out. Dressed the wounds and kept fishing. I've also done the loop onver the hook and pull down on myself, works well. Once you find the nuts to go for it! Ouch!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts