IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there :smile:

I finally pulled the floor boards on the Willie and found my leak. I want to take care of it tomorrow so I hope I can get some good advise on how to fix it. I want to stay away from taking it to a welder but I'll do what I have to do. I want a permanent fix here.

I was told to put some JB weld on it and that sounds good to me
It seems to have cracked at the weld and it's a total of 3 1/2 inches long. It's on the bottom towards the bow of the boat.
If you look at the pic you can see where it separated.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks for reading
Bobby

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Talking about a bad flash back :depressed:
I had some problems almost the same that cost me half the URB season. The problem with a crack at or near the weld is that it will eventually spread. JB is a temporary fix that will keep you dry for another couple of trips but it's not permanent. I did the same two years ago sturgeon fishing in Astoria and when the weld finally decided to open up some more, it was all I could do to make it through a sloppy shipping lane and get back to Hammond.

Take it to a welder and get it fixed before you get more damage. Does your Willie have a lifetime warranty on the hull :shrug:

[ 11-01-2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Tacklebuster ]

G

·
It’s a big mistake to patch it with stuff like JB weld. Talk to the manufacturer or a good welder. JB weld will get into the crack and cause a welder much grief and you much money when you take it in to re fix it.

Try to find a GOOD aluminum welder and have it fixed permanently. If you're close to Salem I can recommend a good welder that will not over charge you. E-mail me if you want the address.

·
Registered
19,909 Posts
I concur with Tacklebuster and Keta,this is a job for a good welder. Fix it right the first time,you'll be glad you did in the long run.

Free

[ 11-01-2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
Assuming there isn't a structural problem causing the crack, I think what you really want is two things. First, a weld to stop the crack from extending. Next, weld a patch of an aluminum plate over the crack to seal the leak and help relieve the stress on the area of the crack. Cracked aluminum isn't fun, I know!

[ 11-01-2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Weld it Weld it take it to a welder :

[ 11-01-2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Jetsledder ]

·
Registered
19,909 Posts
Keta,if we have a left meets right fishing trip next spring you can fish with me. I'am sure there are a lot of things we can agree on.

Free

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Take it back to Willie!'
He'll take care of it!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TH,

It was previously owned so I think that voids the warranty. Do you think they'll still do something about it?

Bobby

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Call Willie Boats at 7:00 AM, Monday - they have knowledgeable people in the office then, and provide excellent service...(now I have to go and check the welds on my boats)...

... KChookem

·
Registered
437 Posts
Their is some stuff called Alumi-Pro . You weld with a propane torch it welds aluminum, pot metal and zink-based metals. The kit has 1\2 lbs of rod and a stainless brush

BAC Industries P.o. box 5236 Minneapolis MN 55343 (612) 945-9058

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It should not matter whether you are the original owner. If they want to keep selling boats they should stand behind their product.

Willie boats is a top class boat builder and an Ifish sponsor so I'm sure they will do the right thing.

Bad welds are a marketing nightmare!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
BB do you know the strength of this product. On a stress point I would be very skeptical that it would hold up where a problem already exists. I bought a new welder just to do aluminum. My first project was a kitchen camp box 48" long with shelves. I can weld up to 3/8 thick aluminum if I add on a water cooled tourch. It sure is nice to have the right equpment. On the crack I would expect the repair would require a hole drilled just past the ends of the crack and the crack nearly ground out filled with the proper rod of which there are many variations in the base material of which willie would need to be contacted. Fill in with weld grind to a level surface on th exterior and polish. Any way good luck. Do it soon the feesh are awaiten. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Bobby,
You picked a good time of year to have your boat out of commission.
Motion Marine could do that repair for you. They do much more complicated insurance repairs all the time. Their shop is in West Linn.
503-557-1508.
Look for my sled being built there. Good luck with the repair.

G

·
Wet Fly,
Boat hulls are thin. The oxide needs to be cleaned off, holes drilled at the end of the crack and the crack welded on both sides with a TIG welder. No need to grove it.

As for a doubler plate, care needs to be taken so that the hull isn’t made stiffer at the plate and causes cracks somewhere else. This is more important on a powerboat than this drift boat.

His best bet is to talk to Willy, second best go to a good welder with aluminum boat experience, any of the epoxies (like JB Weld) or cold patches (like Alumi-Pro) will not last.

[ 11-02-2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Keta ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts