IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 to 16 ounce banana weight depending on drift, about a 3 or 4 foot leader with a rotary salmon killer with a herring in the RSK. Let it down slow until you hit bottom so you dont tangle. Last time out I hooked 7 halibut and 3 nooks, halibut at about 5 cranks up, and around 20 - 30 cranks up were the nooks.

had no problem with hanging up where we were fishing.

[ 08-23-2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Worthless :shocked: Gotta just love a word like that used to describe a way you like to rig up. Quick, would anyone else like to salt and pepper my response with more kind and thoughtfull words? :hoboy:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Tacklebuster,

I got your back! I watched at least 2 nooks get caught today by persons "mooching" in the wind at the Rock Pile with a heavy weight and a small rotary flasher in front of a herring.

Everybody has their own style! Whatever works. Today, I put the downriggers down low (130' and 150' respectively) and we got 3 nooks on the ridge of the pile while just drifting with the wind and occasionally putting the motor in gear. We too had flashers in line!

SD

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tacklebuster, Should I go modify my post to make you feel better :shrug: Didnt mean to ruffle your feathers
:wink: :tongue:

When a flasher is 150 feet deep it doesnt do much flashing due to lack of light. No light makes no flash, making the flasher pretty much nothing but a possible item to tangle the rigging IMHO.

Now if you had a battery operated vibrator on the line, it might do some attracting, or a glow stick, or some scent, or..... :tongue:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
At 150 feet your rotary salmon killer making your herring spin shouldn't do much flashing either but guess what? That seems to work OK, a lot better than say putting two hooks through your herring and letting it sit idle. I'm eating a fillet O Nook as we speak that fell victim to the "worthless" flasher. Yum Yum.....

·
Registered
591 Posts
When you guys go out there and catch a mix bag (halibut, chinook, and lings)on the rock pile how do you fish? I am guessing that you are targeting Halibut but catching the others. Do you bounce bait on the bottom like you do on sand or does that cause too many snags? Or are you fishing sand?I know how to rig for Halibut so is that all you have to do and just use a big herring? Or do you fish off the bottom? Are you fishing where the sand meets the rocks? Thanks for any answers. Jesse

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
This is my first year for fishing the pile and I am no expert by any means on this but I will tell you what has worked for me. Depending on the drift, I will use a 8 to 16 ounce trolling weight tied on to my main line. I then tie on the other end of that a 6 foot leader with a big fish flash in the middle and a rotary salmon killer. Put a large herring on that and slowly lower it to the bottom so it doesn't tangle up. Reel up ten to twenty cranks and put it in the holder. If the swell isn't big enough to mooch it for you, you will have to hold your rod and manually mooch it. Every time your rods goes up, the herring spins and then flutters back down.

This is my first year of doing this so I am sure a lot of other Salty Dogs have this down to an art but this has worked for me thus far. Good luck and post your results.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I usually bag the flasher when mooching, for the reasons BOE stated. However, light does penetrate down to between 200 and 300 feet depending on water conditions (blue water / clear water it goes further than green water / opaque water. When nook fishing you might try a dodger rather than a flasher, chinook seem to like the wobble better than the spin. Trolling on the downrigger I would definatly use a dodger for nooks, even at 200 feet. I save the rotary fish flashs for the Coho.

Mooching I just use the weight and a bait, purple lable for nooks, down to the bottom and up 5 cranks, wait 5 minutes and back to the bottom and up five cranks again. 8 oz weight for wind of 0-5 MPH, 10 or 12 oz. for 5-10 MPH, and 16 oz for 10-20 MPH.

We mooched today and got 6 nooks (limit) between 35 and 18 lbs, 6 ling cod (limit) between 25 and 40 inches, and 1 halibut at 39 inches. Didnt use any flashers.

Rockpile Report

UG

·
Registered
491 Posts
mikeymoto,could be.yesterday i didn't have any trouble limiting on nice nooks.les davis dodger 5 foot 30 lb mooching leader,purple label cut plug,120ft on the downrigger,10lb rigger ball.5minutes trolling25lb'er,10minutes trolling 22lb'er.worked for me.and maybe i had alot of luck go'in on.whatever,all good. :grin:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The one argument I can see in favor of a flasher is that, vision aside, chinook and halibut have pronounced lateral lines on their sides that enable them to detect motion and I believe electrical currents as well (disclaimer: I read this stuff years ago). It may enhance their ability to locate your bait.
That being said--I never use a flasher or dodger when I am mooching or very slow trolling for chinook at depth. Banana sinker, bead chain, and the chinook heroin roll is all I need. I think the roll definitely excites their senses--be it by sight or lateral line senses.
We caught 6 dandy nooks, 6 keeper lings, and a keeper 'but yesterday this way.
I know that I've had friends whove fished for and caught halibut on flashers with a hook attached at the ranch. How do you explain that at 600 feet unless they sense motion.
Oh yeah, nothing is worthless if it gives you confidence and catches a fish or two--but I dont think BOE was putting you down at all. He talks straight, and likely had no ill intent.
For me, they are worthless if I am slow trolling or mooching, as they tangle, require more lead to keep down, and 2 extra knots to boot.
A wise friend once told me "everybodies got their own way of doing things" so to each his own.
Roy--you are just so TERSE sometimes :tongue:

[ 08-24-2003, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: WildHawg ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts