IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about snagging I've not heard of any success stories on landing these fish. It seems like the snaggers are the only ones catching them. Now don't get me wrong, I do not want to snag fish nor do I condone the snagging of fish but I am a beginner that really wants to learn how to bank fish for salmon. As a matter of fact because I am a beginner I don't want to go where all this snagging is happening for fear of being labeled one. That is one reason I haven't even tried yet and I was kinda waiting for a positive report that might lead me to believe that a beginner could get into some fish with the help of some ifishers. Poor prospect1999 fished for days to land his 9 pound coho. That is resolve I don't think I could say that I would have (well i probably would but would be cussin and swearin up a storm). I have only taken five salmon this year and they have all been from a boat using whole herring in the ocean and kwikfish on the CR.

In short, I've enjoyed the enlightening discussion on the three-tooth wife beater wearing snaggers but the board has been a little absent of information that will help me catch a salmon. I've promised my kid that he'll catch one this year (thanks to 5-cents post with Maddie and the fire guys).

Also, I read through this and don't want it to sound negative. I just want to turn a little attention away from that crap. Not saying that vigilance should be forgotten but we/I need to hear some positives. :cheers: to good legitimate fishing!

Scott :grin:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
A friend of mine lives on the Clack near where I foiled that burglary on Monday. He is up fishing the Cowlitz today because I got him going on that last year and the last couple years it has been hard to get the Clack coho's to bite. Now I've heard that from everybody including the guide David Johnson. I don't know what happened to the Clack fish but when I lived there they bit real well. In 1991 you couldn't keep them off your hooks.

If you want to catch coho's the three best producers are eggs, spinners and wiggler's. I caught a couple the other day in the Cowlitz on Brad's Wiggler's. Good luck getting them to bite on the Clack. I think they have a poor hatchery stock that needs to be replaced or eliminated.

I've been told by friends including the one that lives on the Clack that the Sandy River coho's bite much better.

Of course if you want to snag some just throw 'em some lead, corkie or yarn. They bite those real well. :hoboy:

Just stick with the right methods Scott and go fish a different river if you have to even though you live on the Clack it appears.

Good luck.

Dan

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went on an exploratory trip and stopped at the mouth, Riverside, Barton, and McIver park and found only 1 fish for 20 or more rods.

I've heard nothing but good things about Washington's fisheries. Its kind of upsetting that there seems to be hardly any fish being taken on a great river and I really don't want to spend another $45 on an out of state tag for Washington. I probably will end up doing so because my friend that has a lot of drift boat experience is going to Washington now with exception to a trip to the Deschutes occasionally. I have tried some spinners and am going to try some eggs on the Sandy probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I know a few tricks for Clack coho. :grin:

Last year, I think my boat averaged between 3-5 silvers a trip, with some great bonus steelie action too.

Our best sucess was on drift gear and spinners, but other methods worked too.

Coho can be so finicky, sometimes finding a biter can be a challenge. My best advice is bring good eggs, and don't be afraid to try some unheard of tactics(coho also like yarn
), and be persistant and patient. Just find some rollers and start pounding it.The fish will bite.

We're just starting to see some fishable numbers of coho, it's just a matter of time...... :cheers:

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if they aren't in the river in any numbers yet. I didn't see one fish in the river today. With the forecast it seems like we won't see them this week either. If they come in really late will they just blow up the river and not really hold anywhere?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Those places you visited aren't really coho type producing spots.

There are other place on the river that these fish like to hang out near.

One place would be the mouth of Eagle Creek

Clack fish come rain or no rain, just a little later than some other rivers, so in my opinion they aren't really late.

Another thing, it seems this year that they are making quick work of some of the lower stretches of the Clack, to some of the more traditional holding type holes. Places like the Bowling Alley and Cross Park are reporting not a whole lot happening.

But the bulk of the run still awaits us....

If you'd like more info, feel free to email me through the board. Or visit my website below....

Chris Nordling :cool:

Chris

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
At the mouth of Deep Creek just below Barton was always a good holding place for coho also when I used to fish them.

Good luck Scotty!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Just picked up my first Sandy Coho of the year tonight. :grin:

Throwing a red bead with yarn pulled through with some of my special eggs, nice little #8 buck just couldn't resist, I expect many more to follow.

There are definately fish moving through the river, another week and the fish will be stacked in every hole on the river.

I have always had better luck throwing eggs than spinners. It seems that the fish that just move into the hole are more agresive that the ones that are stacked up and not moving.

Good luck Scotty!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Andycoho - You were one of the few, the proud ....

Scotty - don't be intimidated by it all. Get out and fish. You are doing the right thing by checking out different spots, asking questions, etc. There is a balance between dodging the crowds and fishing water that hold fish.

I know very little about Coho fishing in Sandy and Clackamas. I have caught Eagle Creek fish (2 years ago) and have hooked Sandy River fish (2 years ago). I actually fish a whole lot better now than then - but I can't get a fish to bite. Even under the very similar conditions to my hook-ups a couple of years ago.

Coho fishing is about persistence, I imagine. And moving to cover water. Last Thursday on the Sandy I am told was HOT, HOT and HOT. Lots of fish caught. This morning - DEAD, DEAD and DEAD. So, enjoy the fishing aspect of it, be persistent and fish often and sooner or later you will be there on one of those HOT, HOT days. Good luck.

PS - I just studied the river levels. The Sandy spiked up on Wednesday - went over 8 feet in height (still low compared to winter flows, but a big difference this time of year). River was dropping (and clearing) Thursday. The fish bit spinners on Thursday. By this morning, river back down at 7.66 feet in height - fish locked jawed. That explains a lot for what happened this week.

Someone posted the magic number for Sandy and Coho was river over 8 feet and dropping. I think they know what they are talking about ...

[ 09-20-2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Navigator ]

·
Registered
372 Posts
The soft take
I think alot of people miss the takes of coho when drift fishing egss or ectt..
When I learned to Salmon fish it was for coho. My fishing mentor hooked a ton of fish the first two times out. Me all I did was foul hook one that was in my line.
Well I really got to thinking and knew if he was hooking so many fish, I must be missing my bites. Well I went out the 3rd time and proceeded to kill'em.
I had learned by then to adjust my wieght so I wasn't dredging bottom. Well I decided that the first time i felt some thing wierd, or my line felt like it stoped I was setting the hook.
Well about the 5thn cast I set the hook and fish on. No way I didn't even think it was a fish. Well I kept hooking fish when I wasn't sure what the hell i was feeling.
My conclusion is that Coho sometimes will just mouth your bait. They sorta open up and softly catch your your gear as it goes by. This isn't a strike at all. You really can't tell it from your regular drift. Unless you notice your line stops moving for a instant.
To back this up, a took a guy to the same spot. This guy had never hooked a salmon. Well were fishing the same hole & I hook & land 4 fish. He starts tweaking that he aint hooking up and I am.
So I tell him "your missing fish, every other cast give a hookset during the drift when you feel anything different".
Ten minutes later he's yelling "fish on". So I net this dark fish and ask him did you fell that soft take??
He said. " hell I don't know. I just set the hook like you said. Then boom this fish is there."
I repiled " great! Now this is the last fish I will ever let you keep like this"..
Further case in point..
.. you ever been winter steelheading & just drifting along with you gear. When you see that your line stopped. You didn't feel it stop, so you give it a yank & a metal head just starts to rip off line!
God I love that.
Wakes you up right now. You aren't cold & sleepy anymore!
The soft take...

[ 09-21-2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: GL2 ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
I'll have to agree with you there GL2.
I've set the hook a time or two (or three) when it was nothing but a line stop and was surprised when a ballistic missle took off.

I have had many other times when you felt little "trout like" taps on your rod and others when they are literally "chomping down" on the bait and their is no mistake or doubt what is taking place then.

Main thing I think is get a "natural" drift where your lead is not hanging on rocks on the way down and not too much slack in the line to where you can detect some of those very light pick ups.

In some of the smaller rivers or at low water conditions I am down to the smallest split shot or no lead at all and "free drifting".

You hate to jerk your eggs off at a line stop but I found out it can pay dividends.

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts