IFish.net banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Mark Mc,

First, thanks so much for this post. If there were a "best of ifish" award for both the quality of the advice and the quality of the presentation, this post would have my vote for sure.

Second, I went to Englund's in Astoria yesterday (13 July 2004) with a printout of the first three pages of your post as reminders of what I wanted to buy. Well, guess what? There's been a run on the cable hooks and there were absolutely no snaps left at all. Moreover, Englund sales guys said, "What is going on here?" and were more than curious to look at the printout.

Finally, Sonny Maahs's snaps have been backordered for a long time, according to the folks at Englunds. Is there another source? Are they still available?

PostScript: While I was trolling the store for other necessities, a member of the staff rushed out to tell me that more cable hooks had just arrived. They refilled the bins and I was able to choose a few more to complete my kit. So, if other ifishers were frustrated by a lack of choice at Astoria Englunds, check again.

I also picked up several lengths of "commercial blades" and some Gamakatzu siwash hooks. And, 'till we find Mr. Maahs's clips, I found the escutcheon pins and rubber bands that can also be used to affix the bait.

Kind regards to all,

·
Registered
201 Posts
Me again,

So, using the phone number visible in Mark Mc's original
posting, I called Maahs Marine and spoke with Donna.

She says, "Well, Englund just called yesterday and we're filling their order..."

Sonny, also known as Bill, is out fishing this AM. At 74, it's getting harder, but a grandson has stepped in.

Lastly, the reason that Maahs snaps are a bit slow to market from time to time is that Bill and Donna make them by hand. They sit and watch TV, Donna makes a start, and Bill finished up.

"But after a while, your hands cramp up." Donna explained.

So, that's the real secret here: Mark Mc is fishing with hand-made snaps. Hand-made jigs, hand-made spinners, hand-tied leaders are all fine, but I've never knowingly fished a hand-made snap.

Kind regards,

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Phoebus.... you just made me realize something. Since us fisherfolk are a superstitious bunch.... Sonny himself touches every snap....he is a truly great fisherman with a heart of gold.... maybe it puts a good mojo on those snaps!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mark Mc,

I can see how the crowbar and cable hooks could be inserted in the bait per your instructions.

What about the blade/hook combinations? Would these rigs need to be pulled through the bait with a threader?

G'day

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hi Phoebus (what's your real name BTW? Can I just call you Apollo? It's easier to spell),

Regarding "baiter blades"... I use those quite a bit too. In one regard, they are actually easier to thread than a cable, because they are stiff. So no, I usually don't need a threader for the blades.

However, because they use a short shank spoon hook, the eye creates a bulge, especially on a smaller (read narrower) bait. So if you go up the side of a bait, it can tear a noticable hole upon entry, and a bulge from the eye may show, which is an imperfection, and we don't like any imperfections on our bait. If you do a split tail however, the eye enters from inside so there is no tearing, and the bulge is less noticable.

Good luck....... Mark

·
Registered
201 Posts
I fished using a simplified version of Mark's baiting technique on 7 and 8 August, off the Columbia River. I used the cable hook and fresh herring (from TackleTime) and targetted Coho.

I baited the hook by first running the shank of the hook through the mouth of the bait and out the vent. Then I ran the shank from vent to mouth, turned the hook up along side the tail of the bait, and secured the mouth with a Maah clip.

I trailed a 6 foot leader (w/ a swivel midway) behind a diver, trolled ~2 knots w/ 8-15 (2') pulls. We took 8 Coho divided evenly between natives and hatchery fish. My four fishing partners (2 each day) each caught their first salmon, which was rather cool.

What I particularly like about this setup for Coho is the ease with which the cable hooks can be extracted from the native fish.

Kind regards,

PhoebusGroup
aka David King

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mark,

One last post. On 18 Aug, 5 miles south of the CR buoy, trolling at 40 ft. w/ a downrigger and using your cable-hook terminal tackle, my friend Nolan Van Every caught a 29 pound Chinook. It was great to see that fish chewing on the cable shank of that hook rather than on a leader, especially
after the second and third run from the boat.

G'day

PhoebusGroup
aka David King

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Thanks for the great information w/ photos. Now I know what to do with those stange hooks that I don't even know how I got.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mark,

Great Post, I'm ancious to give this a try on Land-Lock Chinook in Couer d'Alene Lake, where we currently use Helmet Head Herring setups.

Do you know if these Clips/Hooks can be ordered online anywere. If not is Englunds in Portland or ?, I work up and down the Wa. Or. Coastline on occasion so I can swing by Englunds once I know where it is!

Thanks Cory

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Englunds does indeed have them. Good luck, Mark

edit / p.s. From previous posts it sounds like Englunds (at least Astoria) is sometimes out of stock. You might also try Seattle Marine (do a web search). They have a website but it's a little hard to navigate. Just call their 800 number and see if they have them in stock. Shipping would obviously be real cheap....

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Wow, that was like sitting in on a fishing seminar! Thanks for the education!

·
Registered
193 Posts
This is an Outstanding job of illustrating your technique.
Thanks for sharing this............

41 - 60 of 70 Posts