IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Bottom of sled is cleaned, repaired, sanded to bare aluminum, and ready to apply COAT IT bottom surface treatment. The directions on the package are pretty generic, I would appriciate any advice from those who have used this product before.

What is the best method (brush, roller, etc...)

Are there any tricks to get best adhesion?

Any advice to avoid screwing it up?

THANKS! :grin:

UG

[ 04-06-2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Uglygreen ]

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
UG,
I have never used Coat It, but with Gluvit I used a paitn brush and it reeeeeealy helps if everythign is WARM. it spreads smoother and it cures a lot quicker.

RF

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
UG,

It helps to order 2-3 large pizzas, the good ones and at least a case of beer, then call me. :cheers: :grin:

I put two electric heaters under the boat to warm the aluminum then used a brush and had one of those plastic wipers like they use to put mylar stickers on.

It will run on the sloped areas. Have rags handy.

Let me know when the pizzas are there.

GRB

[ 04-06-2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Gun Rod Bow ]

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
UG...take GRB's advice only call me first(to give me a head start), and then call him. :tongue: :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have used the Coat It on my DB. I really like the stuff. I put it on one a 95 degree day in the summer. I goes on the best when everything is warm. Be careful though if it's hot it wants to set up and right now. It becomes a thick tar that won't spread easily. Don't think this is something you have to worry about right now though. If your planning on having a friend help you then mix both cans together at the same time. Use a bowl or pan to mix the two parts together. If mixed in the can it will set up too fast. It really works best if you have a friend help you. That way you can mix both parts at the same time and cover everything evenly. I just used a brush to do mine. Make sure it's a cheap one because you won't want to use it again. :cheers: to a fine looking job almost done. SPACE FISH

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
OK, I'll bite...

Why are you putting coat it on a sled? Is it for protection of eleectric currents in the water when it is moored in salt? Or did you just polish the metal and want to coat it for oxidation purposes?

I understand it's purpose on a drifter. But the sled thing is new to me.

Mark and the curious dog.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two reasons,

First, this sled is being maximized for shallow water running with a rookie operator (me). I plan on hitting an occasional rock or two. Same reason as a DB.

Second, its a rebuild of 25 year old sled, and I welded up several fatiuge cracks in the bottom. Although I am pretty sure I got all the problem areas taken care of, Its one more layer of protection in case I missed something.

UG

[ 04-07-2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Uglygreen ]

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Before you start, tape off the sides with some plastic just like a paint shop would. Use a roller. It's much easier than a brush. It will go on smoother and faster. Plus it's so much easier. Pour some Coat it onto the bottom and roll it out. Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Brad,
I used a roller on my drift boat and it takes some coat it absorbing into the roller before it really starts working well, but then it works fine. Hopefully you have more than the one can sitting on the boat to do the whole thing. Otherwise you will have a pretty thin coat. So, you didn't sell the 'ol red sled? Thought you had that gone the day you put it in the classifieds.
Bill

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would highly recomend you wipe all the surfaces you plan to coat with a solvent. I use Toluene (sp). You can get it at home depot. It removes all the oils etc. and evaporates completely. The "coat it" will stick to the bottom of the boat better.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Clear as mud now! Thanks for the input, UG.

Mark and the dog.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.