IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wanted to ask all of you older fisherman out there how old you were when you got to take your first fishing trip without the parents in the boat?

im only 14 and just wanted to know how much things have changed from back then to now days.

i hope to be able to go out some day...but until then im cool with hitchin along for the ride. fishin is fun and i like it. hope to still be doing it when my kids come and i go.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I was about 9 when I started paddling my kayak out across recreation creek on upper Klamath Lake to fish for yellow perch in the evening.
After the first couple of trips the folks were amazed! I came home with lots of "keepers" in the 12" range.
I had a friend that showed me the secret,... Shhhh.
Its pretty cool when you're just a kid but can feed a family of 5 on a single outing!
Jamie

[ 08-21-2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: lingslayer ]

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
5th grade, when my Dad started mooring our little rowboat up at Lacamas Lake. No motor the first year, but I had fun just with the oars, hounding bluegills.

[ 08-21-2003, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Silver Hilton ]

·
Administrator
41,375 Posts
Well, when I was 9, I was allowed to cross the street to the farm pond for bass and blue gill. When I was 12 my mom would drop me off at a place where I could rent a canoe and go up the C&O canal, where I did OK for small mouth. That was more of an adventure than crossing the street. At 16 I started taking a canoe into the Potomac river and over some minor rapids. That's the first time I really had a chance to be in any danger, though, if I'd rolled the canoe, I could have walked to shore. ... unless I got swept downstream to Great Falls ... that would have been a problem! See?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I am trying to figure out the exact age. I mostly fished the river my folks let me head out on my own when I was about 7 or 8. My mom would drive me about 3 miles from home and drop me off at the lake to fish when I was ten but I had to walk back. I was probably around 11 or 12 when my folks got a small aluminum row boat and would drop me off at the lake to fish oars only. I wasnt till I was 14 they would let me take the gas motor if they only new that I was busy racing around the lake more than fishing they might have cut me off from the motor.. Their were a couple of cute girls from school that lived on the lake. And this one older lady that liked showing off to us younger boys getting her all over tan. We fished alot in front of her dock didnt catch much but the view was great.

·
Administrator
119,703 Posts
8, off the bank.
43 with the boat.
I'm still learning how to change the sheer pins, just in case! :smile:

But... I hope to be on the river alone in a boat this fall! :smile: :smile: I can't wait!

Jen

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I was spoiled growing up with a boathouse on tenmile creek in my back yard. I was fishing the creek and lake un supervised from the shore/dock when I was 9. I was taking the paddle boat/canoe out on my own at 12. I then stepped up to the tenmile terror at 15 (though I had some un sanctioned trips when I was 14 :wink: ).

I was very lucky though. Until I was about 13 or 14 the only stipulation that my parents put on me was that whenever I was within a few feet of the water, I had to have a life jacket on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a pic from a news paper of me holding a stringer of pearch that I caught when I was about 6 or 7 years old, but you have to know that times were different then, I lived in a tiny little town in norther michigan named cedarville, everybody knew everyone. I used to walk from dock to dock with my little push button pole and my dog sparky. My sister worked at a litte cafe and around noon I would go to the back door and they would make me a grillcheese and a chocolate milk. the barber, the postal clerk, the man the ran the texico gas dock and Mr Horn the bait shop guy all would watch out for me....I was easy to find because sparky would wait in the grass at the beginning of the dock (to hot on the planks I guess). I also am the product of a single mother, so I had to learn how to tie knots, bait hooks etc earlier because if I didnt I couldnt fish,,,and that prospect was never going to happen,,,,,DJ

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I was a late bloomer. Grew up in Salem not far from the Penitentiary, State Hospital, Hillcrest, Fairview and State Legislature. The town had a lot of undesireables and "preverts" wandering around, so my folks kept me under a pretty tight leash. Eventually they either got sick of me or concluded I could take care of myself and kicked me loose about the age of 12. At 13 I was zooming around Pacific City in an 11 foot Elgin aluminum boat with a 10-horse Evinrude on the back. It went over 35 mph - pretty cool when you're a kid! By 14 had taken it over the Nestucca Bar -or that mess that passes for a bar- a few times.
DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!! (never said I was smart!) Got caught by my dad, grounded for life.
When I reached the advanced age of 16 had the boat a little bow heavy one March day and submarined it in Nestucca Bay.
After that they didn't let me out until I was 18, and then only to register for the draft.

Now, I'm a few weeks from 56 and have concluded that my folks were nuts for letting me do what I did, but I am glad they did it. Times have changed. With all of the lowlifes out there now, it's a different world. My son is almost 18, two years-plus as a sheriff's cadet, and I'm thinking abuot letting him out in the yard pretty soon.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
I musta been 6 or 7, cuz all us boy`s had to know how to swim first, and we all learned at approx. the ripe old age of 4. It was great having a beautiful swimming hole on the Lil` North Santiam right across the narrow gravel road from our house! All my kid`s learned there also. Unfortunately the swimming/fishing hole filled with rock during the flood of "96-97",after nurturing two generations of us fishin/swimming addicts. Never got the chance to take a boat out by myself, since I never owned one.(bummer). Later, Fishft.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
When I was little (like crawling little) I use to crawl out to the fish ponds and fall in trying to get to the fish. :hoboy: (we lived at a fish hatchery)

When I was in 5th or 6th grade, I use to walk a little more than a mile (up hill each way :wink: ) to the river to fish alone. (Didnt live at the hatchery any more)

When I was in early HS, I would have mom drop me off alone with the drift boat several miles up river and float down river to the house. (lived on the river at this time)

At 40, I am still not allowed to take dads boat out alone. :hoboy: Good think I bought my own. :grin:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I guess I was about 9 or 10 when I got to row the old scow away from the dock for bluegill fishing. My grandfather bought an old resort 16' cedar strip wood boat with a five h.p. green Johnson for my brother, cousins, and I to use at the cabin. I think I started using the old Johnson at abou 12 years old. Good memories.

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
From the bank my grandpa use to drop us off at the river about 8 from the boat I was 17 and had to have my own truck before they would let me use the boat they always said if you are old enough to drive it out to the lake then you can take it there .

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
I guess I was lucky living in a logging camp at Tahkenitch Lake. My real saving grace was I could swim like an Otter. For that reason I was given much latitude in the water world. Fishing in Elbo Creek for trout at 7,solo in the boat with motor at 9.A boys paradise.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Like Ramstrong I grew up on a Lake where I had access to a canoe and johnboat from the time I was about 8 years old. We put the first motor on the Johnboat when I was 10. When I was 13 my dad bought me a 9' Livingston f-glass boat with a 7.5 merc on it. Let me tell ya, that boat made me the king of Lake Oswego.

[ 08-21-2003, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Tanner ]

·
Registered
152 Posts
At the age of 8 I was fishing the local creeks. On vacation at Cultas, the rule was if you could pull the outboard(17' w/ a Johnson 115hp) out of the water, you could take it out. Took me until the summer between 6th and 7th grade (12yrs old?). Took me all winter to figure out how where to put my foot in just the right spot to get enough leverage to lift the motor(and I still couldn't do it all the time). Must have used 30gals a day that vacation. And boy did I think I was cool!

Trent

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
I pretty much grew up unsupervised, and we had a 4 acre pond to play on year round. :rolleyes:

At 10 we found a old wooden boat in the bottom of the pond...it had been shot with a shot gun and had been there quite a while. We roped it off and pulled it up with pulleys. Then talked my brothers into towing it through the orchard to the house... We patched the boat, so that it was good enough to float (used a bail bucket on occasion). That became my bass boat on our pond for many many years. It sank once in a while but we sometimes caused that while playing around, but you needed to put it on the bank when you were done, or else it would take on water and vansih to a spot to found again later.

At 13, my mom dropped me and my friend, age 13 too, off on the East fork of the trask at the bottom of Steam Pot. Left us there for a week camping. Unthinkable in this day and age...even then for that matter.

At 16 we started taking row boats to Devil's lake and rafts down rivers.

All of these we had no business doing

gus

1 - 20 of 35 Posts