IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken charter trips out of Newport for halibut, albacore and rockfish. The take has been pretty good! I have had a DB for about 15 years but fish alone mostly the last few years. So when I drift the rivers and keep on expecting each year to do better for steelhead or salmon it remains the same. I keep up on everything but not a major improvement.
So... How often do you guys hire a guide? How hard is it to hire one for just one person. I imagine the the cost is higher.
I want to boost the learning curve!!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Sliderite... I Also have spent the last few years in my own boat learning as I go and expecting my river knowledge and catch % to raise with each given trip I take. For me I was wrong. I decided to hire a guide I choose and I can say his name because he is an Ifish guide. Scott Amerman. I started out on a winter steelhead trip with him and learned several new techniques in baitfishing and moving your bait in the water so the fish will take it and hold on to it. I had never caught a winter steelhead before my trip after many many attempts by myself. After my trip I used the Techniques and bait suggesstions wich I learned on my trip prior to me going out by myself. I had to look back at my fishing journal for last winter. I took 17 trips 16 saw more than a 3 fish day and 1 we took only 1 fish that day. I have a party of three in the boat on all 17 trips. Maybe it was just luck. Well no it was not I applied what I had learned on my trip and a little more knowlegde pulled from the river and had the best winter season ever. So I decide to hire Scott again for some spring Chinook action and give some new techniques another chance After many years of fishing these elusive critters I had only punched 1 on my tag. I decided to book two days this time to really soak up the info and give me a chance to learn a little more. I used the techniques and bait suggestions that I recieved on my spring trips and took 4 more trips on my own during the spring bring'ing home fish on each trip. So guess what Fall was rolling around so I decided to book 2 more trips for the fall and learn even more techniques to really get my skills homed in. I spent all last fall chasing these fish through 5 differant rivers I took many many trips and ended up with 2 fish on my tag last year. I started out my fall with a trip with Scott and ended up putting 36 in my boat 19 on my tag 16 on the bank and limited out several friends that don't get to fish but once a year. To say the least I had the best fall I could imagine. The most important thing I learned on my trips with Scott and the most important thing he taught me was Confidence... I have to say it again Confidence... This was the most important ingrdient in my success after my trips. I have read many good things about many Guides here on Ifish. The choice is deffintly yours in choosing a good guide but calling Scott will give you a good idea on things. You can access Scott's link right here on Ifish and talk to him about many options on a trip including a solo trip he may have another person who wants a solo trip and work it out for a double trip. My winter steelhead fishing caught me fishing around Grant Scheele who also is an Amerman guide you may also call him he taught me two great Techniques on the river that helped my catch % greatly. I will still take my Trips with either Scott or Grant becuase I have a great time and on every trip you are never with out action in the boat. All my trips have came with great success both with Information and fish. You may want to look at a river before you go and drift it they change from year to year, you may want to obsorb all the great info. you are going to learn, you may want a break from having to worrie about all the gear and hauling the boat, What ever your reason may be going out with a good guide will be the best thing you have ever done. Now the answer to your ? How often do I hire a Guide? Before each season starts to get a feel for the river and get that knowledge flowing before you go out on your own. Or as often as you want to learn new water and new bait fishing techniques. I told my self I would never I mean never pay to have someone take me fishing. There is nothing I can't learn from doing myself. Well I was half right. I can probably sit here and rattle on an on about all I have learned but i want you to go and find out for your self. Click HERE you won't regret it. Give either Scott or Grant a call they can help you with any of your ?'s that you have about going Solo, Prices ect. ect. Sorry for the novel but I have been pretty quit latley and saw your post and just had to let it all out. The Amerman Guides have made me a successfull fisherman and taught me total Cofidence for every trip I take on my own now. Good Luck Hope this helps.

Derek Anderson

PS. My spelling is bad :smile:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, Derek! What a reply and I thank you.
I think I spend too much (big bucks $) on the Albacore and not enough on the steelies and learning how to catch'em.
Thanks Derek!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Sliderite,
If you need someone to keep you company in your driftboat... :grin:
My peice of advice would be this:
How confident do you feel after your first trip with a guide? Maybe go solo a few times after that trip and see what happens. If nothing, I would consider hiring a different guide totally, and learn his techniques. The more you know, the more fish you'll catch.
Also, how many rivers do you want to learn? Just because you figured out how to fish one river, doesn't entirely mean you'll know how to fish any river you come across.
I often think about hiring a guide for winter steelhead, as I have not had much success. I do not own a driftboat, and put my money (mostly) toward school, so it doesn't make common or financial sense for me to hire a guide. Hopefully someday I'll be able to have/do both.
Good luck with your project.

·
Administrator
119,608 Posts
I have gone on trips just to learn new rivers, or new techniques. Some of them have really opened up new opportunities.
However, there are also board members that can teach you things, too, both on, and off the boards.

Just keep your ears open, and if something sounds interesting to you, either e mail them and try to get a ride, or hire them, if they are a guide.

Right now, I have hired a group of investigative people to find out if carrot milk is something real, or imagined. It has cost me plenty of money, but I WILL find out. :smile: :smile:

No, seriously, I have gone on some trips that have totally opened up entire new worlds of fishing for me.

Somehow, now, though-- I have to find very trusting sorts, that trust me not to post anything on ifish, before they'll show me tricks of the trade. It's frustrating, but I totally understand.

Jen

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I hire 3-4 guides a year. Those days are my refresher courses, even on my home waters. There is no way you can produce results like a full-time guide who is out every day. Learning new techniques every guided trip improves my catching the rest of the time.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I have some people that book trips one to four times a year and I even have some that will go almost once a week. All of them have become much better fishermen from these trips.

One of my friends started salmon and steelhead fishing a few years ago with marginal success, maybe a fish or two a year for the first couple years. After he started fishing with me some he has gone to 60+ fish year. He does every thing I do to a T and regularly outfishes everyone around him.

That confidence mentioned above is a huge key and so are all the little details.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Sliderite good luck in your pursuit of winter chrome. Take a look at the river through a guides eyes and learn as much as possiable. Hope the info. has helped you.

Derek Anderson

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sliderite,

I'm similar to Thumper (now that is scary!) and hire guides about 6 times a year for planned trips (hire the boat for biz or family trips, mostly Buoy 10 in the summer and Tillamook in the fall) and then do some single trips with them by myself to try out different kinds of fishing.

Also, I don't like using bait so if the guides are doing some spinner or other non-bait fishing, I'll go along as a single for a Fishing 101 course.

I just started fishing out here two years ago (three seaons now) and going out with guides was a way to get up to speed quick. And different guides fish different ways so always something new to learn. The fish change habits also so it's good to have different techniques to try. I've gotten skunked going out with guides trying new stuff but then tried the technique myself and scored. Even when you only get a couple fish, it can be worth it. It was late October this year on Tillamook Bay, raining, windy and fish were scarce but somehow the kids thought it was riot.

If you can't get three of your friends to chip in for a trip, a lot of guides can fit singles in. I'll do that and then use those techniques on my boat with my crew.

I'd say fishing with guides is definitely the way to go to ramp up on technique and fishing success and to stay tuned up.

Brion
PS And big second to what David Johnson said about it giving you confidence in what you are doing. If you don't have confidence then you start flailing around vs. waiting patiently for the bite, knowing that what you are doing, when and where will work.

[ 11-10-2003, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: BrionLutz ]

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
I am kinda at the realization that I am in a predicament right now. Every year I take my driftboat down the Wilson river a few times, last year I went 3 times and we got one fish for the effort. My results are mediocre on my best day. I figure I am really wasting my time but that is what I am here for ....right :shrug: .
The problem is that I am just one person and everyone works weekdays or can't afford it. The Wilson will kick my behind, over and over, will I ever learn? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Twice a year is my usual. Nice to sit back and relax while I watch Johnson sweet for fish and try to unsnag his line from the opposite bank. Nothing like decorating the wilson with corkies for Christmas aye David? :grin: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
LOL.... I put a few in the trees on the wilson boondoggin. Watching the guide tell you to watch those trees then the next cast he is in it... :smile:

·
Registered
169 Posts
You can learn alot just reading this board. Its helped me more than once. So thanks to all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts