IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 22' V-Sled with a 72 inch bottom (my boat not me :grin: ). I need to know how much zinc I need to put on before my Nehalem Bay / Buoy 10 trip. I did a search, and couldn't find any calculations, theories, or figures. I have 1 zinc on my trolling motor, and about 4 lbs on my transducer bracket. I know (guess) I need more. Any help?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Do you have any on the motor itself? Not sure on the pumps but all outboards (props) are zinced. You probably have plenty on the boat for as much as your in the salt there Mojo. It will probably eat away all the snake river scum first.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Denali,
It will take al least 2 years for all the Snake River scum to dissolve. Better than sharkhide.

I haven't figured out how to attach a zinc to the jet. I'll bet someone has though. Please help me out here!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It's not about how much zinc to put on your boat as much as the type of zinc you use. The most effective zinc will be of an aluminum zinc alloy. Check the mercury website and they can give more info on the science of this. Make sure your boat is grounded properly and you clean the zincs on your motor and hull EVERY time you use it. Do this and you should be covered.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I happened to be at Steven's Marine the other day and asked the same question. They said that both the motors had zinc on them and they were grounded to the boat so I really didn't need any on the boat. Just give them a good scrubbing with a wire brush. I'm never in the ocean but will go to Tillamook and Nehalem for Chinook. Hope they're right on this one. I always appreciate it when someone tells me I don't have to spend more.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have an 18 ft boat with a 72 inch bottom and I have nearly 11 pounds of zinc on my boat! Then again I'm extremely paraniod and gullable. :grin:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tundra,
I'm with you. Better gullible and paranoid, than having to patch your hull.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I don't how much they weigh, but I have 2 zinc plates on the boat itself, one on my kicker motor and two on the main motor. We live at the coast and my boat spends 80% or more of its time in salt water, so I over protect it.

I have been told over and over to check the zinc frequently and brush them several times a year to keep fresh metal exposed to the salt water.

SD

·
Registered
894 Posts
My understanding is that you can over do it with the zincs. When this happens you will start getting zinc deposits on your boat. It basically reverses the electrical process that your trying to create.

If you have saltwater zincs on both your motor and boat you should be ok. I wouldn't go overboard and put huge zincs on it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts