IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to steam some crab today (thanks neighbor!) but I want to make sure I do it right. How much salt, and what kind of salt, do you add per gallon?

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you are steaming the salt won’t do anything but lower the boiling point of the water a few degrees. If submerging and boiling it leaves residual salt in crab but mostly only if you clean the crab first and openings for the water to get inside. I haven’t tried it but I know people that add aromatics to steaming water like lemongrass, chiles, and garlic… SE Asian flavors.

·
King Lingcod
49,753 Posts
Sorry Will, I beg to differ. I steam my crab and too much salt and they taste really salty. Not enough salt and they taste like steamed crab. To answer the question. I use two small fists of rock salt in about two inches of ocean water in a 80 qt steamer, perfection.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No salt. Lemon juice and some old bay.18 minutes steam then ice bath to stop the cooking
I would throw in the lemons after after squeezing the juice, lot of volatile oils that will easily vaporize in steam. Lemon and butter is a no brained. Haven’t done that but I will be trying it.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a fan of Old Bay but I used kosher salt and a cup of vinegar. 14 minutes after seeing steam, delicious. Thanks for the direction.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Table salt. 1/3 cup per gallon. Additionally, I shake in a little Old Bay, quartered up lemon, half a cube of butter.

Clean my crab first, then boil. Typical basic cheapo turkey fryer gets the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
I clean my crab prior to steaming. no salt in the water. As soon as the crab is cooked it gets dumped in a cooler with ice, water and as much salt as will dissolve, about 2# to a 12 galons.

·
Registered
Troller. Explorer, Marlin curious.
14,583 Posts
I use a modifed crawfish boil I learned in Louisiana. My granny use to be all about the old bay for blue crabs in the Florida panhandle. We use a bucket to get some water offshore. Start with the 10 gallon pot 1/2 full then add a fistful of Winco pickling spice (Bulk food aisle) 1/2 cup of Red pepper flakes, a small bottle of zaterains hot oil, and a cap full of the zaterains red 'Pro boil'. For a laugh read the label on the one gallon pro boil. It says use one container (1 gallon) for a bushel of crabs. They are boiling blue crabs in NOLA but damn that seems like alot.

Once the water boils I add a strainer basket with some of the little potatoes and throw in a dozen or more crab. On the reboil I start timing and add corn and anduille sausage. Done after 12 minutes the crab go in a plastic seafood bushel, buried in ice to stop the cooking. The strainer basket catches all the food and broken off legs. We don't bother cleaning them first. I have tried it both ways and still boil them whole.

Not much talking goes on when this is served at the fish camp. People are chewing.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Another who adds 1/2 cup kosher salt per gallon, plus a dash of old bay.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts